Alexa tts for beginners...help needed baby steps

I am a newbee at this home assistant stuff…
Now i am trying to get alexa tts working , but no succes at all…
I create the files from loetzimmer… alexa_remote_control.sh and alexa_wrapper.sh in my config directory, abd now i am stuck , i ambot a programmer at all , so how do i get to make them executable… And how do i do that? I read chmod+x alexa_remote_contrl.sh , but this is chinese to me…
Can someone explain how to do this in small steps , i also read stuff like make a script and run as an app in appdaemon…
I just want some small steps to get this setup , as it looks like everyone in the forum is a specialized person and i am getting lost in the topics… A videotopic would be graet if you ask me…
Thx for the help in advance

Use this instead…

Much easier to get going and more features.

There is also this thread if you have problems with it:

2 Likes

Here is a direct link to the installation & configuration instructions for the alexa_media_player to get you started. I just worked through this and also use it to control am Amazon Plug with Home Assistant through Alexa.

I could not get the alexa_remote_control to work either. :frowning:

thx everyone , I installed the files , i adjust the config.yaml , i know my echo’s name , but i cant start routines , cant get her to say a message , nothing she does… what goes wrong???

Do i need the cloud active to get this working or is it directly true the ap it works?

I use Duckdns to do it.

Follow this format as a script to test things out. You will need to change your echo device name but other than that, it should work for you as is:

dash_button_test:
  alias: Dash Button Test
  sequence:
  - service: notify.alexa_media
    data:
      target: media_player.406_living_room_echo_dot
      data:
        type: tts
4 Likes

Will try tomorrow , thx in advance.

So i ad it to my sripts.yaml?
And then i need to somehow insert it in automations.yaml?

Or can i test it any other way?

yes

no.

you can go to the dev-states page and look for “script.dash_button_test” then click on the weblink icon to the left and click execute in the box that pops up.

tried it…no succes… i had the captcha screen , filled in the captcha , i see my echodot in the mediaplayer lists… but no succes to send something… pfffff

{
“entity_id”: “media_player.guest_room”,
“media_content_id”: “BBC one”,
“media_content_type”: “TUNEIN”
}
calling this services true the json did work , so i am on the wright way…
dindt knew it was playing because my echo volume was low… just saw it when i opened my media player in home assistant that it was on bbc… so i guies i am doing something wright , now i would like to be able to start a routine… i want to run a routine dinig light on… and then lateron create a button on my dashboard to start this…will have to try that later tough…
thx everyone

Kool! You may want to look at this additional code I added yesterday after spending way too much time trying to adjust echo volume ahead of the event. (Hint: that 2 second pause is there for a reason):

dash_button_test:
  sequence:
  - service: media_player.volume_set
    data:
      entity_id: media_player.406_living_room_echo_dot
      volume_level: 0.8
  - delay: 00:00:02
  - service: notify.alexa_media
    data:
      target:
        - media_player.406_living_room_echo_dot
      data:

Thx , will try tomorrow , bit attention to the lady now :wink: , i see i am getting closer… Hope alexa isnt going to start playing bbc radio tonight as it seemed she just paused when i asked her to stop… I set her state to off now , so i hope she stayes quiet tonight… I am getting closer…

1 Like

i just tried the script , when i switch the button on my echo lights up , makes a sound to set the volume i guess , but she doesnt speak the message… is there something wrong in the code ?

i can get her to speak with this :
{“entity_id”: “media_player.myechodot”, “message”: “Test message”} using the media_player.alexa_tts service… now how to write that in yaml…? And still how to start a routine?

because of theprevious post i tried changing the dash_button_test to this:
dash_button_test:
sequence:

• service: media_player.volume_set
    data:
    entity_id: media_player.myechodot
    volume_level: 0.5
  • delay: ‘00:00:02’
  • service: media_player.alexa_tts
    data:
    entity_id: media_player.myechodot
    data:

but still no succes…
she setst the volume , but there is no text comming?

I have the notify part working but i cant seem to manage to get the routines working , any help is apreciated…

This works now , but the routines don’t… The problem was that i didnt have the notify component in my config , should i ad something in the config to make routines working? An example of config would help…

I hate to bring this thread back up, but the other main thread is being withdrawn. I have been struggling hard with this for the past two days and I cant seem to get the service to run.

All I am doing is testing through the Developer Tools->services using notify.alex_media

Here is the log info…

raise ServiceNotFound(domain, service) from None
homeassistant.exceptions.ServiceNotFound: (ServiceNotFound(…), ‘Service notify.alexa_media not found’)

Here is my config:

alexa_media:
  accounts:
    - email: email
      password: password
      url: amazon.com
      debug: True
      include_devices:
      - "Computer Room Echo Dot"

notify:
  - platform: alexa_media
    name: alexa_media

Copied the files into the correct folder using raw format. Completely baffleled and feel like a total idiot because the instructions seem so simple.

Anyone have any ideas?Capture