Alfen Eve Pro EV chargepoint interface via TCP modbus

Hey @jeroen94704

the only thing you need to two are the first two screenshots you show:

• activate the ‘active load balancing’ setting, data source ‘energy management system’
  • enable mode ‘socket’ under TCP/IP EMS.

From then on you can access the modbus service on the chargepoint using the method explained in this thread.

Good luck,
Lieven.

I’ve got this working with my Alfen Eve, up to load-balancing according to sun-expectations, amperes drawn and km left on my car.

Can I go a bit further, as I know the location of the car and I always use the same RFID card.

Would it be possible to start a session from modbus? If I’ve got the serial-code from the RFID card, would I be able to write that somewhere in a modbus register (perhaps write a few more registers) to start a session without physically hold the card next to the charger?

I’ve got:
car location
wall charger connection status

When those variables are correct, I would like to start the session. I do have a back-office connected to charge the card-holder. When my car is not at home, it should not automatically start the session (I’m able to put in a few more safety-rules within HA).

Thanks! It seems to work now. But it seems like it does require a full restart of HA after changing the configuration. The quick reload option is not enough. That’s what bit me with this.

Thank you for this topic! I just ordered dynamic charging licence for my Alfen Eve Pro chargepoint. So I hope to mess arround with it one of these days, I only want to charge when enough capacity is available (we pay extra if we use more than 2,5kW in 15 minutes here, so slow charging at night, faster when there is solar).

Does anyone know if modbus can give me the charging pass serial number?
According to that, I want to set some charging levels.

Wrote a guide in how to configure evcc with Alfen Eve and a dutch smart grid meter with a P1 port.

Evcc unfortunately doesn’t support load balancing yet but it can do smart solar charging and charging schemes (e.g. make sure at least 50% charged by 8am next Monday but postpone as long as possible while waiting for solar power)

Smart solar charging means it has options to go full power, pv only, or minimum 6A with pv + the help from grid if pv output is less than minimum required current to charge your car

Instructions in Dutch but docker-compose and evcc yaml templates may be of use:

1 Like

For my Algen integration, created in NodeRed, I also have the ‘CapTar’ option created.
When enabling this button, I set the max power drawn from the net to just below the current CapTar value.

When using this, my car would NEVER increase the CapTar value, but if it’s higher, due to some appliance in the house, the car can do it’s advantage and use this higher value for the rest of the month.

Erwin

1 Like

Were you able to read out the RFID card over ModBus, that’s what I’m trying to do. Based on that I want to set some charging profiles.

Erwin

Nice! Exactly what I need.
Sadly I can only purchase the licence via the company that placed the Alfen and they don’t respond to anything… Even if I want to order it from the Alfen store, I need them to approve the account so I’m stuck at the moment.

Very interesting thread! I just received my new EV, which is a Volvo XC40, but I don’t have a charger yet. Currently I’m exploring my options before buying one. So after reading (almost) the entire topic, I still have some questions:

1. What is the advantage of setting the current via HA/modbus compared to the out-of-the-box load balancing?

2. I assume you can also charge at maximum speed with the out-of-the-box load balancing, regardless of the current household consumption?

3. These modbus parameters, are they also applicable to charging points from other vendors? How did you find the correct parameters?

4. @hollie You say you can suspend the charging by using the Volvo API and the “location-id”. But where can I find the exact value for location-id?

I do have a digital meter with a HomeWizard P1 connected to the P1 port.

Thanks!

Hey Thomas,

partial answer to your questions:

1. See the modbus register document from Alfen that is available on their website. I would be very surprised if they would match the register map on devices from other manufacturers.

2. Please see this commit I made to the Volvo On Call example scripts on github.

Best regards,
Lieven

1 Like

Other answers:

1. When using out-of-the-box load balancing, Modbus can’t be enabled. Modbus can be used to read parameters/variables from the Alfen Eve. So it’s either using Modbus&HA, or P1&Load-balancing

2. It can be turned off in the configuration software. When load-balancing is turned on AND you disconnect P1, it will fall-back to a safer charging rate.

I had the Alfen Eve with Load-Balancing enabled from the start. Bought a P1 splitter as I already had the HomeWizard P1. Then I found out I could connect the Alfen Eve to HA and enabled modbus. The P1 splitter is not necessary anymore, and I do not have the need for a P1 cable to the charging station.

1 Like

Hey @erwin.fiten

no the RFID card is not exposed over modbus.

Best regards,
Lieven

Doe anybody know what I should fill in here as username and password?

the password should be the one that you need to login into your alfen wallbox,

if you have use ace installer, it is not the first authentication, but the second dialog

The password, you get them together with your wallbox installation, if you don’t have them, try to contact alfen

Hi Hollie,
Thank you for this topic. I finally got it to work and it’s very nice!
Been struggling with the float numbers to set amps on modbus adress and my solar inverter is a 3 phase and the car charger on 1 phase. With this you cannot simply use the power consume and produce from the P1 port :smiley:

However it looks like I have 1 little bug, don’t know if anyone experiences the same but when I set charge point to x amount of amps sometimes it just drops to around 208 watts and stays there for a long time. Any idea?

I did not change the modbus parameter which I double checked.

Thanks!

Hey @Epper202

one thing I can think of: could it be that your car is temporarily only pulling 20 W for one reason or another? Looks like the energy of a cooling fan to me.
The battery management of the car gets information from the chargepoint on the amount of energy that is allowed to be used, but this does not mean that the battery will actually be charged with that amount of energy. I see this sometimes when the battery pack is cold or at the end of a charge cycle.

Best regards,
Lieven

Hi @hollie

first of all, many thanks for the knowledge and tips you are sharing on the HA//EVE integration
I want to share my experience here in order to understand if i’m moving in the right direction

I’ve installed the Alfen HACS from GitHub - leeyuentuen/alfen_wallbox: Alfen wallbox - Home Assistant Component

The HACS expose either infos and controls you can also find in the MyEve app.
Playing with the entity ‘alfen_max_station_current’ (see screenshot) I’m able to set the maximum current (in Ampere) as you do using Modbus registry setting

it seems it works fine and putting the limit to 6A the EVE goes in “LoadBalancing Forced OFF” status and the consumption goes to 0.

is this approach working only because I don’t have a P1 smart meter?

@ All
does anybody else is exploring this scenario?

thxs
Dan

Hey @dancit ,

you’re welcome!

In my opinion the parameter you want to use to dynamically regulate the power that is available for the car is the register Modbus Slave Max Current. I don’t know how it is exposed in the Alfen_wallbox integration as I am using direct modbus access to the chargepoint.
The register you are changing called alfen_max_station_current is the absolute maximum current that the charge station is allowed to deliver. In the Alfen software this is a value that you typically only define once based on the total amount of power that is available in your electrical installation (which is determined by the main fuse or the fuse for the circuit of the charging station).

Just my 2 cents,
Lieven.

I think you found the username. it should be just admin?