`allow_unreachable` in Philips Hue config appears to do nothing

Running HA Core version 0.106.0. I have allow_unreachable: true set in my configuration for Philips Hue, but it doesn’t appear to actually do anything. I tested this by turning the mains power to a bulb off. The Hue API shows the bulb as unreachable (and so does the Hue app), but Home Assistant will report the bulb as on or off if I flip the toggle even though the bulb is unreachable. The Hue groups that it is a part of also change to on or off accordingly. Based on the Hue docs I’d expect the bulb to go to a state of unavailable or something similar. Here’s my config:

hue:
  bridges:
  - host: 10.0.0.166
    allow_unreachable: true
    allow_hue_groups: true

Config check shows no errors. Changed log level to debug and didn’t find anything either. I just tested the behavior now so I don’t know how it functioned before version 0.106.0 unfortunately. Anyone have any thoughts? Not sure if this is a bug or if I’m just misunderstanding how that configuration option should function.

I am having the exact same issue! Using hue bridge v1

Seems related:

Ah thanks for finding that. Searching yielded no results for me.

Shouldn’t you disable “allow_unreachable”?
If i understand correctly setting this to true does exactly what you described: Allowing you to toggle lights altough they are unreachable.
If diabled the toggle slider for it should be greyed out right?

Ha, thanks. I completely forgot about this thread and meant to update it. I was initially confused about what that setting actually does but after reading more about it I ended up understanding it. Still not sure what the point of it is though. In its current state I’m not sure why you’d ever want it enabled.

I’ve seen several posts by Mariusthvdb concerning the use of that setting. Here’s one of them:

My Hue Bridge has a stronger Signal than a Lightstrip that’s far away from it (it’s not from Hue, what makes it impossible to mesh somehow).
When i turn it on/off that works, but the “Acknowledge” or status signal from the Lightstrip back to the Bridge does not reach it. So the Lightstrip is always unreachable (tough working), and i can’t control it from HomeAssistant, however “allow_unreachable” makes it work perfectly fine!
That feature is not well documented so your thread pointed me to it and helped me a lot, thank you =)