Alpha release of an Android app

This post will be kept up to date until the app is released for beta:

I have begun work on an android app, it’s status is alpha preview.

Current features are:

• One list of lights and switches that can be turned on and off

Roadmap:

• Grouping
  • Adding more controls for lights

If you would like to alpha test, PM me (@adgelbfish) an email address to send links to the APKs as they are released.

Comments and feature requests welcome, and appreciated.

18 Likes

What are the advantages of this over the default web interface? I’m not trying to put down your work, it’s great to see new development, I just don’t know what a native app could add when we have service workers, material design and add to homescreen already.

3 Likes

The default web interface only works with chrome or firefox, neither of which run well on my small and underpowered phone, so I would welcome an alternative.

Some of my reasons for doing it:

• It’s nice to have larger controls on a device without a mouse pointer.

• it’s nice to have a simple way of doing location tracking (planned feature, not sure when).

• It would be cool if we can directly control features of the phone with HA. (e.g. It would be cool if it can shut off my ringer when I shut the light in my room at night :smile: )

I was starting with the controls, but if there is more of a demand for the other features, I can focus on those first.

2 Likes

I’d like to hear feedback of what people want, and it’s also good to hear the other side, to get a feel of how important a feature is.

Thank you

Nice, I built an app to control some hard coded switches, but it’s very basic in function.
I’d really like to see a good android app for ha.
Any chances of android wear support?

It’s being built in react native, so at least not in the beginning. I wouldn’t throw away the possibility though.

i would like to participate :slight_smile:
p.s. in a big coincident i am working on a ionic based web view so we can retain all the customization ( like the web interface) but also making native so we can call system API’s (like GPS or Battery level ) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very much looking forward to see how this progresses! :tada::cat:

1 Like

with HAdashboard you can have controls as big as you like :wink:

yeah that would be nice.

for me it would be a nice app if i can give some settings in it like
HA IP and logon
which sensors and actions to set free for HA
and a browserscreen that connects to my HAdashboard.

I have an old Acer tablet that doesn’t play well with the web interface so watching this with great interest. Thanks for your hard work!

1 Like

What needs to go in the address field?
I tried both full URL and IP with and without a port. No luck.
Get’s stuck at “Loading…”

So for the automation part… Maybe it is possible to have integration with Tasker, cause that would open up a lot of possibilities.
This would probably be something for the future, but I might help to think about it in advance so the design can be prepared for this.

1 Like

Same here. I’ve tried URL as well as IP with and without http:// and port number, I cannot get past the “loading…” message.

make sure you put the full url, with the protocol in the beginning and the port at the end, (e.g. https://home.domain.tld:8123), and that you have connectivity.

As I mentioned that was also one of the combinations I tried.

Here’s an screenshot of the web app (working) and your app (broken) running side by side in multi window running at the same time with the same URL:

(This occurs with my Pixel phone and Galaxy tablet from inside and outside the network).

I think this is a great idea as well. I don’t know if it’s possible with react native but one feature that would be useful is to have a home screen widget so you won’t necessarily have to keep opening an app or website.

2 Likes

sounds great :slight_smile:

some ideas:

• taster integration (this overlaps the below)
  • drop down to selecthe different instances
  • location, temp, luminosity etc…
  • room detection (dreaming here… maybe…)
  • easy switch/entity set up
  • ability to set a alarm inot a state (e.g. if it’s freezing outside wake up early to defrost car screen!)
1 Like

This post shows how to add a link on the android desktop to a HA service.