Amcrest video doorbell AD110 initial impressions

Anyone else seeing their AD110 showing “offline” in the SmartHome app? Live view and SD-Card recordings are NOT available, but the app is still receiving alerts from the doorbell. RTSP streaming to HA is also working.

Same here, shows offline in the app but stream to HA/TinyCam works.
Amcrest server issue?

Yeah, think it must be a SmartHome server issue. Other users reporting same problem on the Amcrest Smart Home forum. I’ve chimed in there as well. Looking to get a response from Amcrest…

SmattHome cloud service functional again. I needed to close the app and restart to clear the offline message.

I have never found Tasker easy to deal with. Any chance you could post your Tasker config to get these alerts?

Happy to help, but it’s sure not an easy thing to share concisely. Have you reviewed the post Using Tasker with HA? Please follow that guide’s steps 1-3 to get Tasker set up for an HA connection. You will import an HA-call-service template as a new TASK you will configure as described in step 4. (There is an alternative method to install a free HA Tasker plugin from Google Play that you can use instead of this template, but I didn’t find it necessary or all that much simpler).

You first need to set up a Tasker profile to react to SmartHome App alert notifications. From the Tasker profile tab main menu, tap + to select Event , then UI, then Notification. Tap Owner Application and select Amcrest SmartHome. Then in the Title field, enter Someone*. This will trigger when the doorbell button is pressed and the notification says “Someone is at your <name of doorbell>”.

Now tap the back < icon to exit this menu and you then select the HA call-service task that was previously imported. Now tap on this task name from the profile menu to configure this task.

In the Parameter 1 field, enter: input_boolean.turn_on
In the Parameter 2 field, enter: {“entity_id”: “input_boolean.amcrest_doorbell_button”}

That’s it! press the back <- arrow, and then the check mark at the top to save. You can also long press on each name to edit and rename both the event and newly configured task to your liking.

Now you can either reset the boolean switch in your automation, or you can have Tasker immediately turn it off by repeating the above process to assign an additional HA-call service task to the button press event. Just define parameter 1 in the second task as input_boolean.turn_off with the same entity_id value in parameter 2.

Repeat the above to create a second event trigger, but in the Title field, enter Motion* to perform a new task to recognize “Motion detected at your …

Here is how I configured HA switches and event triggers…

configuration.yaml:

input_boolean:
  amcrest_doorbell_button:
    initial: off
    name: "Front Doorbell Button Pressed"
  amcrest_doorbell_motion:
    initial: off
    name: "Front Doorbell Motion Detected"

automation.yaml:

trigger:   # These events are triggered by Tasker/Smarthome app notifications
    platform: state
    entity_id: 
      - input_boolean.amcrest_doorbell_button  
      - input_boolean.amcrest_doorbell_motion 
    to: 'on'

I’ll also include some screen captures here to help clarify the Tasker configuration. Below is the home screen from an old Android phone dedicated to running Tasker and SmartHome. Here it is showing the two SmartHome alerts Tasker will recognize. (Ignore the “No active profiles” Tasker message, that is normal).

Below is the main menu from Tasker where both doorbell button press and motion SmartHome notifications are triggered. I have renamed them from the default names. (Ignore the Skybell info, that is what I had before replacing it with the AD110). :grinning:

This is all that is needed to recognize a doorbell press notification “Someone is at your …”

And here is the action taken to signal HA via an input_boolean switch…

The first task is to turn on the boolean switch, then the second it to turn it off.

2 Likes

Wow, thanks for this! I love this community.

I hope to have some time to look into configuring this in the next few days so hopefully I don’t have any issues but if so I’ll report back!

You’re very welcome captain! Do let me know how you get along.

I’m continuing to refine the AD110 automation. At times, the AD110 annoys the heck out of me and wife with dozens of repeated SmartHome alerts one after the other whenever there is prolonged activity on the front porch. It’s just too inconvenient to have to open the app to temporarily turn off motion alerts when this occurs.

One thing I sorely miss that the Skybell integration provided was the ability with HA automation to easily turn off/on motion alerts. Hmm, it just occurred to me - what if Tasker could run a task to virtually tap on the SmartHome motion disable icon when receiving a command from HA?

I just discovered that the developer does have an AutoInput Tasker Plugin that looks like it can! I’ll have to try it out to see if this works.

Another tool I used with tasker is MQTT client (tasker plugin) which sends command between android/task and HA.

Thanks JT, that’s interesting, especially if you are already using MQTT. I think it boils down to what integrations/apps that you are already using that can do the job rather than adding any more moving parts. I am looking at using Telegram notifications to send commands to Tasker now since that is what I’m already using for alerts. And it’s free.

In the HA Tasker thread, @CentralCommand documented how to use rest_command to send HA messages to the Tasker AutoRemote plugin. I found there is also a SimplePush integration in HA which is another inexpensive paid app for Android to receive messages. Ditto for PushBullet, and HA’s Android Companion.

@huuub @sarbon15 @JTPublic

AD110 HTTP API SNAPSHOT works now in the latest firmware update!

http://userid:password@/cgi-bin/snapshot.cgi

This means that the HA Amcrest integration should also work now for snapshots rather than using FFMPEG. I will switch my HA config to test this, but it sure works fine via browser.

Warning - there are numerous reports on the Amcrest Support Forum of those who have had to factory reset their AD110 after installing the new firmware in order to be able to resolve a back-end server connectivity issue. I did not have this problem, and it may be fixed by the time you read this.

Yes, just tested, the camera.snapshot service also works on AD110 through the HA Amcrest integration now.
No issue with new firmware upgrade here.
Thanks.

I am trying to follow your setup for integration tasker with the Amcrest doorbell. I believe I followed all of your steps however I am not successful in making this work. The one part that seemed a little confusing to me was this:
: Now tap the back < icon to exit this menu and you then select the HA call-service task that was previously imported. Now tap on this task name from the profile menu to configure this task.

In the Parameter 1 field, enter: input_boolean.turn_on
In the Parameter 2 field, enter: {“entity_id”: “input_boolean.amcrest_doorbell_button”}

When I selected and tapped the “HA call-service” task that was imported it brought up the task which contained a number of steps. Is this the correct task to update the parameters in? or should I be creating new tasks? It seems different from your screenshots. Thx

Yes.that’s the correct task to add those 2 parameters. If what you see now is different then I guess the template was tweaked a bit since I created those screenshots. Please refer to the thread created by the author of those templates - Using Tasker with HA
I recall there was a mention of a few changes being made.

Seems odd because when I go to edit the task it gives me a screen that has a couple of “If . .” statements and there isn’t a place to enter the parameters.

yes, it certainly is odd. There should be a parameter 1 and 2 fields.

I have 2 suggestions. One is create a screenshot of your HA call-service “Action Edit” screen and post it to the author’s HA Tasker thread asking why the parameter fields are apparently missing.

The other is that instead of using his templates you can install the free HA Tasker Plugin that you can configure quite easily.

Sorry that I can’t explain why this is now different. I didn’t develop these templates, I just tried to show how to use them to interface the AD110.

Unrelated, but in the most recent amcrest app, with an sd card is anyone else having choppy video playback that will skip 5-7 seconds at a time when trying to review the footage? Is there a solution to this?

Not really, viewing in the Events tab used to be hit-n-miss, failed a lot, now it’s been more reliable and pretty smooth playback.
Viewing from the microSD card tab is even smoother, just make sure your card is not having issues. If possible, reform the card just to be sure.
I don’t have cloud Recordings, btw, not set up at all.

I’ll try a reformat, do you think it’ll be better off reformatting on my computer, or using the app itself to reformat while in the doorbell? Have you noticed any issues doing it one way or the other?

Using the app would make sure the formatting is done the way the doorbell camera likes.
I have always used the app to format/re-format.
If you’re backing up the card content on a PC, do a scan on the card as well.

1 Like