Amcrest video doorbell AD110 initial impressions

Hi,

I thought it is the best doorbell for Home Assistant, but I cannot buy it in the Netherlands.
Now I read this all, I am not that sure anymore. Hopefully it updated with the needed fixes.
I want to test this, but it is not available to send it to the Netherlands.

Greetings,
Jacob

The hardware is adequate, quite reasonable for the price, its firmware/app needs more work, especially for DIY purposes. :smile:

Does the LED ring on this change color like the SkyBell? Is it as easy to change if it does?

The LED ring around the button is always blue. It doesnā€™t change with motion or any API command. The only thing that changes is when the button is pushed, the LED flashes blue in a circle.

Thank you for the clarification. I had pretty much come to that conclusion on my own, but itā€™s still nice to get a solid confirmation. I am seriously looking at this as itā€™s far more flexible than my SkyBell. I was hoping to be able to change the LED color as I do now with the SkyBell to indicate the status of the lock. Not a deal breaker thoughā€¦

I too had a Skybell and used color change notifications via HA. I donā€™t really miss it that much, just a ā€œnice to haveā€ feature. What I absolutely do miss is the ability to switch off motion sensing notifications from the Amcrest SmartHome app like you could do with the Skybell HA integration.

Still, the tradeoff to have live RTSP streaming beats the Skybell hands down with the current HA integration.

I have seen other mention using an old android phone and Tasker for the button press action. I will likely use the rtsp feed and motionEye for motion sensing and notification rather than the built in motion sensor. I rarely turned the SkyBell motion off unless it was a really windy day. There is a palm tree straight out from my door and the blowing branches would trigger it. Donā€™t really need the motion detection though as I never really used it for much.

Even though the Skybell HA integration supported button/motion events, I was using an old Android phone+Tasker for this instead since it was much faster. It was a simple matter for me to reconfigure Tasker to trigger events for the AD110.

Very interesting - I had not considered using MotionEye for motion sensing/notification. Please keep us updated how well this works with the AD110.

As long as I can get a rtsp stream from the doorbell, it should work real well. I have a camera in my laundry room right now that detects motion using motionEye. When motionEye detects motion, it begins to record as well as sends a MQTT packet that is used to trigger a tensorflow scan of the video stream. If a person is detected, a snapshot is saved. The scan continues every few seconds until the motion event ends. I could very easily use this to set a binary sensor in HA and use it for anything I chose. Once the motion event is over, another MQTT packet is sent to end the process. I expect that this is going to be a very busy thing once I get all of my cameras placed. Iā€™m expecting to build out a separate machine (most likely a NUC) for motionEye to run on. Right now, Iā€™m running it in a docker container on my NAS.

Anyone else seeing their AD110 showing ā€œofflineā€ in the SmartHome app? Live view and SD-Card recordings are NOT available, but the app is still receiving alerts from the doorbell. RTSP streaming to HA is also working.

Same here, shows offline in the app but stream to HA/TinyCam works.
Amcrest server issue?

Yeah, think it must be a SmartHome server issue. Other users reporting same problem on the Amcrest Smart Home forum. Iā€™ve chimed in there as well. Looking to get a response from Amcrestā€¦

SmattHome cloud service functional again. I needed to close the app and restart to clear the offline message.

I have never found Tasker easy to deal with. Any chance you could post your Tasker config to get these alerts?

Happy to help, but itā€™s sure not an easy thing to share concisely. Have you reviewed the post Using Tasker with HA? Please follow that guideā€™s steps 1-3 to get Tasker set up for an HA connection. You will import an HA-call-service template as a new TASK you will configure as described in step 4. (There is an alternative method to install a free HA Tasker plugin from Google Play that you can use instead of this template, but I didnā€™t find it necessary or all that much simpler).

You first need to set up a Tasker profile to react to SmartHome App alert notifications. From the Tasker profile tab main menu, tap + to select Event , then UI, then Notification. Tap Owner Application and select Amcrest SmartHome. Then in the Title field, enter Someone*. This will trigger when the doorbell button is pressed and the notification says ā€œSomeone is at your <name of doorbell>ā€.

Now tap the back < icon to exit this menu and you then select the HA call-service task that was previously imported. Now tap on this task name from the profile menu to configure this task.

In the Parameter 1 field, enter: input_boolean.turn_on
In the Parameter 2 field, enter: {ā€œentity_idā€: ā€œinput_boolean.amcrest_doorbell_buttonā€}

Thatā€™s it! press the back <- arrow, and then the check mark at the top to save. You can also long press on each name to edit and rename both the event and newly configured task to your liking.

Now you can either reset the boolean switch in your automation, or you can have Tasker immediately turn it off by repeating the above process to assign an additional HA-call service task to the button press event. Just define parameter 1 in the second task as input_boolean.turn_off with the same entity_id value in parameter 2.

Repeat the above to create a second event trigger, but in the Title field, enter Motion* to perform a new task to recognize ā€œMotion detected at your ā€¦ā€

Here is how I configured HA switches and event triggersā€¦

configuration.yaml:

input_boolean:
  amcrest_doorbell_button:
    initial: off
    name: "Front Doorbell Button Pressed"
  amcrest_doorbell_motion:
    initial: off
    name: "Front Doorbell Motion Detected"

automation.yaml:

trigger:   # These events are triggered by Tasker/Smarthome app notifications
    platform: state
    entity_id: 
      - input_boolean.amcrest_doorbell_button  
      - input_boolean.amcrest_doorbell_motion 
    to: 'on'

Iā€™ll also include some screen captures here to help clarify the Tasker configuration. Below is the home screen from an old Android phone dedicated to running Tasker and SmartHome. Here it is showing the two SmartHome alerts Tasker will recognize. (Ignore the ā€œNo active profilesā€ Tasker message, that is normal).

Below is the main menu from Tasker where both doorbell button press and motion SmartHome notifications are triggered. I have renamed them from the default names. (Ignore the Skybell info, that is what I had before replacing it with the AD110). :grinning:

This is all that is needed to recognize a doorbell press notification ā€œSomeone is at your ā€¦ā€

And here is the action taken to signal HA via an input_boolean switchā€¦

The first task is to turn on the boolean switch, then the second it to turn it off.

2 Likes

Wow, thanks for this! I love this community.

I hope to have some time to look into configuring this in the next few days so hopefully I donā€™t have any issues but if so Iā€™ll report back!

Youā€™re very welcome captain! Do let me know how you get along.

Iā€™m continuing to refine the AD110 automation. At times, the AD110 annoys the heck out of me and wife with dozens of repeated SmartHome alerts one after the other whenever there is prolonged activity on the front porch. Itā€™s just too inconvenient to have to open the app to temporarily turn off motion alerts when this occurs.

One thing I sorely miss that the Skybell integration provided was the ability with HA automation to easily turn off/on motion alerts. Hmm, it just occurred to me - what if Tasker could run a task to virtually tap on the SmartHome motion disable icon when receiving a command from HA?

I just discovered that the developer does have an AutoInput Tasker Plugin that looks like it can! Iā€™ll have to try it out to see if this works.

Another tool I used with tasker is MQTT client (tasker plugin) which sends command between android/task and HA.

Thanks JT, thatā€™s interesting, especially if you are already using MQTT. I think it boils down to what integrations/apps that you are already using that can do the job rather than adding any more moving parts. I am looking at using Telegram notifications to send commands to Tasker now since that is what Iā€™m already using for alerts. And itā€™s free.

In the HA Tasker thread, @CentralCommand documented how to use rest_command to send HA messages to the Tasker AutoRemote plugin. I found there is also a SimplePush integration in HA which is another inexpensive paid app for Android to receive messages. Ditto for PushBullet, and HAā€™s Android Companion.

@huuub @sarbon15 @JTPublic

AD110 HTTP API SNAPSHOT works now in the latest firmware update!

http://userid:password@/cgi-bin/snapshot.cgi

This means that the HA Amcrest integration should also work now for snapshots rather than using FFMPEG. I will switch my HA config to test this, but it sure works fine via browser.

Warning - there are numerous reports on the Amcrest Support Forum of those who have had to factory reset their AD110 after installing the new firmware in order to be able to resolve a back-end server connectivity issue. I did not have this problem, and it may be fixed by the time you read this.