An ebusd add-on

Hi

Trying to configure my Adapter to read data from my Vaillant boiler. Have purchased a wifi based adapter from Daniel Kucera’s store and got it set up on wifi.

Next step was to download the Home Assistant add on and configure to read data from thee adapter. On the config page for the adapter I have gone with all of the default settings except on the network adapter address which I have set to my IP address as:

enh:192.168.3.193:3333

When I try to run start the add on I get the following error message:

s6-rc: info: service s6rc-oneshot-runner: starting
s6-rc: info: service s6rc-oneshot-runner successfully started
s6-rc: info: service fix-attrs: starting
s6-rc: info: service fix-attrs successfully started
s6-rc: info: service legacy-cont-init: starting
s6-rc: info: service legacy-cont-init successfully started
s6-rc: info: service legacy-services: starting
s6-rc: info: service legacy-services successfully started
> ebusd --foreground --mqtthost=core-mosquitto --mqttport=1883 --mqttuser=addons --mqttpass=chaen7shaipieleem5emee4Reepei7aixi4ooloize6eimiir2reK1ooQueipol8 --scanconfig --mqttjson --latency=10 --mqttint=/etc/ebusd/mqtt-hassio.cfg --mqtttopic=ebusd --device=enh:192.168.3.193:3333 --log=all:notice
2023-02-06 21:56:30.686 [network error] HTTP connect: 268959746=system lib
2023-02-06 21:56:30.690 [network error] HTTP method: 167772567=shutdown while in init
2023-02-06 21:56:30.690 [main error] invalid configPath URL (connect)
s6-rc: info: service legacy-services: stopping
s6-rc: info: service legacy-services successfully stopped
s6-rc: info: service legacy-cont-init: stopping
s6-rc: info: service legacy-cont-init successfully stopped
s6-rc: info: service fix-attrs: stopping
s6-rc: info: service fix-attrs successfully stopped
s6-rc: info: service s6rc-oneshot-runner: stopping
s6-rc: info: service s6rc-oneshot-runner successfully stopped

Any suggestions?

Remove enh:
just: 192.168.3.193:3333

Hi Daniel @danman

Just tried to remove the enh: but still having no luck. Latest log shows the following:

> ebusd --foreground --mqtthost=core-mosquitto --mqttport=1883 --mqttuser=addons --mqttpass=chaen7shaipieleem5emee4Reepei7aixi4ooloize6eimiir2reK1ooQueipol8 --scanconfig --mqttjson --latency=10 --mqttint=/etc/ebusd/mqtt-hassio.cfg --mqtttopic=ebusd --device=192.168.3.193:3333 --log=all:notice
2023-02-07 19:25:02.926 [network error] HTTP connect: invalid result -1
2023-02-07 19:25:02.931 [network error] HTTP method: 167772567=shutdown while in init
2023-02-07 19:25:02.931 [main error] invalid configPath URL (connect)
s6-rc: info: service legacy-services: stopping
s6-rc: info: service legacy-services successfully stopped
s6-rc: info: service legacy-cont-init: stopping
s6-rc: info: service legacy-cont-init successfully stopped
s6-rc: info: service fix-attrs: stopping
s6-rc: info: service fix-attrs successfully stopped
s6-rc: info: service s6rc-oneshot-runner: stopping
s6-rc: info: service s6rc-oneshot-runner successfully stopped

As per your instructions I did try to telnet in to the device on port 3334 and this is what I am seeing:

Does that mean I am getting data ok?

I also tried to go in to the device via the web browser on the IP address but it says invalid http response - should I be able to go in on a browser page? I did the the browser page initially when I put in my Wifi credentials but not thereafter.

Tks
Gavin

Try to check these issues for solution: Search · HTTP connect: invalid result -1 · GitHub

It suddenly started working now. My MQTT is now showing the following:

Should there not be a lot more sensors, or do I need to change the configuration file to add them manually?

ok maybe I should be more patient…plenty more sensors now appearing. Thanks for your help Daniel!

1 Like

Hi, maybe someone here can help me with my problem?
The wemos D1mini adapter works fine without one “z1daytemp” report, but I can’t connect with the second USB adapter. I have no idea why I can’t connect.

[Ebusd via USB no connection · Discussion #834 · john30/ebusd · GitHub](The problem is described on GITHUB)

Hi @gavraq,
can you please help me to get my WiFi eBusd adapter 3 integrated into HA and advise what you did to get yours running? It seems that I am missing a step to get the entities and their respective data configured in HA.
Your support and fresh experience from a successful integration are very much appreciated!

Hi @Lupo

Not sure which ebus adapter you got but mine is from Daniel Kucera (@danman) who also helped me a bit on here (see my posts above). He also has the instructions on his github page (Quickstart section) here - GitHub - danielkucera/esp8266-arduino-ebus

Here is what I did:

Stage 1: get the eBus Adapter connected to the boiler and my wifi

• Power off boiler at the mains
  • Connect the 2 ebus wires into my boiler and re-power from the mains (the power for the eBus adaper comes via the 2 ebus wires)
  • Searched on my wifi network for a device with name “esp-eBus” and then connected to the device which opens a config web page
  • configured the device with my WiFi network settings (SSID, password)
  • confirmed from my router that the device was sucessfully connected and had been given an IP address

Stage 2: get the adapter set up on HA

• Followed the instructions to install the HACS addon for eBus here: GitHub - LukasGrebe/ha-addons: Addons for Home Assistant
  • Once the addon was installed and started the only thing required was to go to the Configuration tab of the addon and the first item required is the network address…for me this was as follows:

192.168.3.193:3333

Stage 3: Check MQTT
Once the addon was restarted I went to Settings/Devices and Services/core-mosqitto MQTT and then clicked on the devices where I could see 2 new devices:

1. ebusd - which seems to show the fact that the adapter is connected, and
  2. ebusd bai - which is where all of the sensors from my boiler were showing (it took a few minutes for all of them to show up)

Stage 4: Lots of cheering and shouting that it had all worked!

What I still need to do is go through all of the sensors and figure out what all of them actually are as some seem to have no data coming through while others do - I think that is because I used the autoconfig which probably lists a number of sensors as standard but my boiler does not send through the data.

Also I need to rename these to more friendly names once I understand what all of them are doing.

Hope this helps

1 Like

Hi @gavraq,
thank you very much for your response and step-by-step guide.
I have ordered and installed the following eBUS adapter 3 from john30:
https://adapter.ebusd.eu/index.en.html

At start-up I see the following in the add-on log:

> ebusd --foreground --mqtthost=core-mosquitto --mqttport=1883 --mqttuser=addons --mqttpass=tienieK5eehauWi3Oow4Raech3aimeith0hu7aizoo5xaich8sietheimaLaivu7 --scanconfig --mqttjson --mqttint=/etc/ebusd/mqtt-hassio.cfg --mqtttopic=ebusd --device=192.168.178.117:9999 --log=all:notice
2023-02-21 13:26:47.882 [main notice] ebusd 23.1.p20230106 started with auto scan on device 192.168.178.117:9999
2023-02-21 13:26:48.764 [bus notice] bus started with own address 31/36
2023-02-21 13:26:48.801 [bus notice] signal acquired
2023-02-21 13:26:49.223 [mqtt notice] connection established
2023-02-21 13:26:58.013 [bus notice] max. symbols per second: 122
2023-02-21 13:27:00.061 [bus notice] max. symbols per second: 149
2023-02-21 13:27:02.019 [bus error] signal lost
2023-02-21 13:27:02.295 [bus notice] signal acquired
2023-02-21 13:27:05.005 [bus notice] max. symbols per second: 264
2023-02-21 13:27:11.036 [bus notice] max. symbols per second: 318

In MQTT Explorer I have the following messages:

It appears that I am missing something to receive the data from the vaillant heat pump.
This eBUS adapter 3 seems to require some configuration (csv file?) and I am unsure where within HA I need to set this up.

Can you or anybody else who has the same adapter help and guide me with further instructions?

1 Like

Hi, mqtt auto-discovery is working great for temperature and status related items. However, two pressure values do not appear to show up

$ mqtt sub --topic ebusd/ehp/HcPress
{
     "press": {"value": 1.654},
     "sensor": {"value": "ok"}}

$ mqtt sub --topic ebusd/ehp/SourcePress
{
     "press": {"value": 2.429},
     "sensor": {"value": "ok"}}

I assume it is the structure of the messages, but not entirely sure where to start.

Do you have --configpath configured?

I used to set
–configpath=https://cfg.ebusd.eu/ # the path mentioned in github
but it changes back automatically to
–configpath=http://ebusd.eu/config/ # the path shown in the add-on below the Scan config

Which config path is the correct one?

you don’t actually need to enter a config path if you’re using the defaults from the system scan. that’s why [https://cfg.ebusd.eu/ ] is in bold in the wiki. just leave the field blank in the setting for ebusd to default to [https://cfg.ebusd.eu/ ]

Hallo @afiwube Lukas,
thanks for your response and guidance!
I left the config line blank in the first place but didn’t receive any data, hence I tried to configure it

• still without success.

I must have missed something, which I don’t get identified.
So, here is what I did:

• Ordered, received and installed the eBUS Adapter 3 from John.
  • Configured the Adapter to my home wifi network (same network as home assistant).
  • Installed Mosquitto MQTT add-on (I had it installed already for Tasmota devices)
  • Installed ebusd add-on
  • started ebusd add-on
  • No success

Do I need to enable an additional ebus client within the Vaillant heat pump settings?

Memo: I have posted my log report in post 229 above

PLEASE help me to get this running…

Hallo,
nearly the same problem here. I installed the add-on in home assistant, configured my ebus 3 wifi-adapter and watched all the logs within Home Assistant, MQTT-Explorer and eBUS adapter 3 without any solution to get information’s from my vaillant eco-tec heating system. May someone can give me some hints to solve the problem…

grafik

grafik

1 Like

Hi all,

I have a Bulex HP setup with MiPro Sense and MiLink v3.

MiPro Sense is exactly the same as VRC720 and MiLink v3 is basically the same hardware with VR920 from Vaillant.

I am now waiting to buy an eBUS Adapter to use this integration.

My question is, when I change a setting through ebusd, does it also reflected to the thermostat, i.e. MiPro Sense, or is the setting go directly to the HP? In that case, the integration would compete with the thermostat, i.e. both will eventually override each other’s last configuration.

Regards.

Hi there, I have been trying to setup ebusd to work with HA for the past year or so (on and off obviously, not everyday!) but every time I get back to it, I always get stuck somewhere and this is driving me crazy :tired_face:

I am a total noob at linux but I always manage to move (slowly but surely) when I have clear instructions and I can even adapt or write my own commands when I understand the logic. But here, for some reasons, there is always something on my way and I hope someone can help me to get this working and eventually optimise my Vaillant system, especially with the current prices of gas

I succesfully installed ebusd (with MQTT support), it is running and I can see it reads data on my boiler, which means I made some positive progress somehow :slight_smile:

ebusctl info
version: ebusd 22.4.v22.4
device: /dev/ttyUSB0
signal: acquired
symbol rate: 24
max symbol rate: 125
min arbitration micros: 358
max arbitration micros: 476
min symbol latency: 5
max symbol latency: 6
reconnects: 0
masters: 3
conditional: 3
poll: 1
update: 10
address 03: master #11
address 08: slave #11, scanned “MF=Vaillant;ID=BAI00;SW=0600;HW=5502”, loaded “vaillant/bai.308523.inc”, “vaillant/08.bai.csv”
address 10: master #2
address 15: slave #2, scanned “MF=Vaillant;ID=47000;SW=0347;HW=9502”, loaded “vaillant/15.470.csv”
address 31: master #8, ebusd
address 36: slave #8, ebusd

However, I have been stuck at the next step for a long time and I can’t get to resolve it :frowning:

1. I get a first issue while trying to enter the command to automatically start the daemon during startup:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo systemctl enable ebusd
Synchronizing state of ebusd.service with SysV service script with /lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install.
Executing: /lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install enable ebusd
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo chkconfig ebusd on
sudo: chkconfig: command not found

Any idea what’s wrong here?

1. Then I cannot do a scanconfig (not sure if it is linked to the previous error):

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ ebusd --scanconfig
2023-04-02 18:56:45.804 [main error] unable to open log file /var/log/ebusd.log

Which then leads to the impossibility to set MQTT:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ ebusd --mqtthost=10.112.112.60 --mqttport=1883 --mqttint=/etc/ebusd/mqtt-hassio.cfg --mqttjson
2023-04-02 18:58:17.545 [main error] invalid configpath without scanconfig

Could anyone give me some hint on how to solve the error regarding the automatic start (1), and then the scanconfig (2) so that I can hopefully get MQTT to work and move to HA to finish the integration?

Thank you very much for your help! :pray:

Can you ping the device or access it with any other means than the HA Addon?
you do not need to enable it within the settings of you valiant device. Ebusd acts as a listening device on the ebus that valiant does not support. - like a 3rd party spy.

It depends on your device. this question is better asked at john30/ebusd · Discussions · GitHub as it’s a question for the connection of device<—>ebus. This add-on however is about ebus <—> Homeassistant