I keep getting “Unable to connect to Home Assistant.” in the app and “Your Internet access is blocked” in my mobile web browser (which has no trouble loading other sites). Everything works fine in my desktop’s web browser.
Local traffic should not be routed through my V.P.N. but I have not confirmed it yet. I tried setting the Internal Connection URL but that didn’t help either.
I noticed that the app shows “Web page not available” with the url sometimes showing just the protocol, address, and port and other times also trailing “?external_auth=1”. Including that parameter in my desktop’s web browser returns 404. Not sure if that’s supposed to work.
This may or may not be related but the app behaviour is very eratic. Sometimes it takes a few seconds to detect the error, sometimes is doesn’t. Sometimes I can open the settings menu, sometimes it doesn’t open. I often get “Home Assistant isn’t responding” messages, but the app seems to work fine if I choose to “wait” for it to respond. There is usually (but not always) an option to refresh with either the external or internal address, but never both. It seemed to change once when I set the internal address but it never changed again even after I removed that address.
UPDATE: The issue was that Android’s setting to “Block connections without VPN” was enabled. I assumed that my V.P.N. app’s feature to bypass for local traffic and/or not secure specific apps would also bypass this block, but apparently not. Hopefully this is useful to others.