Android APP "Unable to connect to Home Assistant"

Confirmed that app has same issue, connecting to the websocket via the recommended Logcat.
I will need to reconfigure the setup to see what changed, because on HA version 2021.12.7 it worked just days ago. Something changed in HA core that is refusing now the proxied wss connection. but there are no logs. Can I see some debug on HA side why the conneciton was refused ? Cause nginx only has what the host respond.

Also the phone is on local network and for some reason is not using the local URL but the public one. That is a bug on Applicaiton side. If I reset the app and keep just lcoal URL it all works. It should not connect to public url in first place. (Even though I have DNS controlled via router to point to local IP since mine does not support NAT loopback)

This behavior also prompts the Android to redirect to Google Chrome browser upon app being opened. Weird. And yes I tried starting fresh it always works on local if I completely clear the app data, until I want to log outside of network on public domain. Then nothing works app can never detect local IP url any more.

Here is a dumb of app logs just for information:

2022-01-06 12:11:15.385 3343-19625/? E/WebSocketRepository: Websocket: onFailure
2022-01-06 12:11:15.430 3343-3513/? E/IntegrationRepository: Issue getting new version from core.
    io.homeassistant.companion.android.common.data.authentication.AuthorizationException
        at io.homeassistant.companion.android.common.data.authentication.impl.AuthenticationRepositoryImpl.ensureValidSession(AuthenticationRepositoryImpl.kt:181)
        at io.homeassistant.companion.android.common.data.authentication.impl.AuthenticationRepositoryImpl.access$ensureValidSession(AuthenticationRepositoryImpl.kt:19)
        at io.homeassistant.companion.android.common.data.authentication.impl.AuthenticationRepositoryImpl$ensureValidSession$1.invokeSuspend(Unknown Source:15)
        at kotlin.coroutines.jvm.internal.BaseContinuationImpl.resumeWith(ContinuationImpl.kt:33)
        at kotlinx.coroutines.DispatchedTask.run(DispatchedTask.kt:106)
        at kotlinx.coroutines.internal.LimitedDispatcher.run(LimitedDispatcher.kt:39)
        at kotlinx.coroutines.scheduling.TaskImpl.run(Tasks.kt:95)
        at kotlinx.coroutines.scheduling.CoroutineScheduler.runSafely(CoroutineScheduler.kt:571)
        at kotlinx.coroutines.scheduling.CoroutineScheduler$Worker.executeTask(CoroutineScheduler.kt:750)
        at kotlinx.coroutines.scheduling.CoroutineScheduler$Worker.runWorker(CoroutineScheduler.kt:678)
        at kotlinx.coroutines.scheduling.CoroutineScheduler$Worker.run(CoroutineScheduler.kt:665)
2022-01-06 12:11:15.520 3343-19625/? E/WebSocketRepository: Websocket: onFailure
2022-01-06 12:11:15.553 3343-3513/? E/IntegrationRepository: Issue getting new version from core.
    io.homeassistant.companion.android.common.data.authentication.AuthorizationException
        at io.homeassistant.companion.android.common.data.authentication.impl.AuthenticationRepositoryImpl.ensureValidSession(AuthenticationRepositoryImpl.kt:181)
        at io.homeassistant.companion.android.common.data.authentication.impl.AuthenticationRepositoryImpl.access$ensureValidSession(AuthenticationRepositoryImpl.kt:19)
        at io.homeassistant.companion.android.common.data.authentication.impl.AuthenticationRepositoryImpl$ensureValidSession$1.invokeSuspend(Unknown Source:15)
        at kotlin.coroutines.jvm.internal.BaseContinuationImpl.resumeWith(ContinuationImpl.kt:33)
        at kotlinx.coroutines.scheduling.CoroutineScheduler.runSafely(CoroutineScheduler.kt:571)
        at kotlinx.coroutines.scheduling.CoroutineScheduler$Worker.executeTask(CoroutineScheduler.kt:750)
        at kotlinx.coroutines.scheduling.CoroutineScheduler$Worker.runWorker(CoroutineScheduler.kt:678)
        at kotlinx.coroutines.scheduling.CoroutineScheduler$Worker.run(CoroutineScheduler.kt:665)
2022-01-06 12:11:15.559 3343-3513/? E/SensorReceiver: Issue registering sensor: audio_sensor
2022-01-06 12:11:15.569 3343-19625/? E/WebSocketRepository: Websocket: onFailure
2022-01-06 12:11:15.594 3343-3513/? E/IntegrationRepository: Issue getting new version from core.
2022-01-06 12:11:15.608 3343-3513/? E/SensorReceiver: Issue registering sensor: audio_mode
2022-01-06 12:11:15.670 3343-19625/? E/WebSocketRepository: Websocket: onFailure
2022-01-06 12:11:15.698 3343-3513/? E/IntegrationRepository: Issue getting new version from core.
2022-01-06 12:11:15.704 3343-3513/? E/SensorReceiver: Issue registering sensor: battery_level
2022-01-06 12:11:15.718 3343-19625/? E/WebSocketRepository: Websocket: onFailure
2022-01-06 12:11:15.748 3343-3513/? E/IntegrationRepository: Issue getting new version from core.
2022-01-06 12:11:15.761 3343-3513/? E/SensorReceiver: Issue registering sensor: battery_state
2022-01-06 12:11:15.772 3343-19625/? E/WebSocketRepository: Websocket: onFailure
2022-01-06 12:11:15.801 3343-3513/? E/IntegrationRepository: Issue getting new version from core.
2022-01-06 12:11:15.811 3343-3513/? E/SensorReceiver: Issue registering sensor: is_charging
2022-01-06 12:11:15.826 3343-19625/? E/WebSocketRepository: Websocket: onFailure
2022-01-06 12:11:15.871 3343-3513/? E/IntegrationRepository: Issue getting new version from core.
2022-01-06 12:11:15.884 3343-3513/? E/SensorReceiver: Issue registering sensor: charger_type
2022-01-06 12:11:15.897 3343-19625/? E/WebSocketRepository: Websocket: onFailure
2022-01-06 12:11:15.941 3343-3513/? E/IntegrationRepository: Issue getting new version from core.
2022-01-06 12:11:15.954 3343-3513/? E/SensorReceiver: Issue registering sensor: battery_temperature
2022-01-06 12:11:16.020 3343-19625/? E/WebSocketRepository: Websocket: onFailure
2022-01-06 12:11:16.093 3343-3513/? E/IntegrationRepository: Issue getting new version from core.
2022-01-06 12:11:16.106 3343-3513/? E/SensorReceiver: Issue registering sensor: dnd_sensor
2022-01-06 12:11:16.131 3343-19625/? E/WebSocketRepository: Websocket: onFailure
2022-01-06 12:11:16.165 3343-3513/? E/IntegrationRepository: Issue getting new version from core.
2022-01-06 12:11:16.173 3343-3513/? E/SensorReceiver: Issue registering sensor: geocoded_location
1 Like

I deactivated in the app the option prioritize internal url (or something similar, mine is in spanish) and it started to work again.

Try it!

try to set HA logging to debug and reproduce the issue? Logger - Home Assistant

did you make sure to grant location permissions for the app and keep location enabled? without location the app cannot read the connected SSID. Also if the local URL fails we usually fall back to external URL. The application logs will show if we are using internal/external URL.

have you already tried all the recommendations in network troubleshooting? Companion App Networking | Home Assistant Companion Docs

look at the full on device logs when this happens, also double check that android system webview is up to date and is the version provided by the google play store. If things are workign properly locally and you see the issue with public facing URL then it has to do with your setup. The app makes no distinction between URLs we only try them in different order. Again the logs are helpful here because we list which URL we are going to try before the attempt.

1 Like

I did thanks. nothing unusual only acknowledgement that connection was closed from outside hmmm…

2022-01-06 12:52:38 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.websocket_api.http.connection] [140481207362944] Connection closed by client

I am wondering if that hassio_dns in the stack is not screwing things up on network since I have DNS configured elsewhere due to router NAT loopback config. But again, it works on other devices and browsers, includign the websocets.

Yes I granted the permission and also checked the configuration, its all allowed including zones. only high accuracy is turned off by default.

Yes its all set up according to the page. I mean I am not using the plugin for nginx, but the nginx.conf is reflecting the one in the plugin reporisitory. I also can access the external url via mobile browser on same device or my desktop, and websockets work there no rpbolem. With the DNS entry I can access external url even from my network and also works fine. Only one breaking is the app.

I did look and here are the full logs from the time the chrome browser is redirected. It actually logged me inside the browser automatically I think session was still remembered.
had to put it in pastebin, because this blog does not allow that many characters: 2022-01-06 12:53:27.756 24868-24900/? E/SensorReceiver: Issue registering sensor - Pastebin.com

Its becoming overwhelming especially as it worked few days back before HA upgrade … so many things can go wrong and I don;t have whole days to debug the system. Will need to get back to it later. No resolution for me, just to use app internally for now. Nothing indicates immediately whats wrong. Somehow the app cannot connect to wss even though browsers have no problem with that.

Oh and here is the log from the initial onboarding if I clear everything out and start from scratch but with external first:

2022-01-06 13:23:08.208 17559-17595/? I/ActivityManager: Start proc 1068:com.android.chrome:sandboxed_process1/u0i334 for webview_service io.homeassistant.companion.android/org.chromium.content.app.SandboxedProcessService1
2022-01-06 13:23:08.295 1122-1122/? D/SurfaceFlinger: duplicate layer name: changing io.homeassistant.companion.android/io.homeassistant.companion.android.onboarding.OnboardingActivity to io.homeassistant.companion.android/io.homeassistant.companion.android.onboarding.OnboardingActivity#1
2022-01-06 13:23:08.358 31556-31652/? D/HomeAssistantSearcher: Service discovery started
2022-01-06 13:23:23.609 31556-31652/? I/HomeAssistantSearcher: Discovery stopped: _home-assistant._tcp
2022-01-06 13:23:46.594 31556-31652/? D/HomeAssistantSearcher: Service discovery started
2022-01-06 13:23:46.642 1122-1122/? D/SurfaceFlinger: duplicate layer name: changing io.homeassistant.companion.android/io.homeassistant.companion.android.onboarding.OnboardingActivity to io.homeassistant.companion.android/io.homeassistant.companion.android.onboarding.OnboardingActivity#1
2022-01-06 13:23:50.858 1122-1574/? W/SurfaceFlinger: Attempting to set client state on removed layer: io.homeassistant.companion.android/io.homeassistant.companion.android.onboarding.OnboardingActivity#0
2022-01-06 13:23:50.859 1122-1574/? W/SurfaceFlinger: Attempting to destroy on removed layer: io.homeassistant.companion.android/io.homeassistant.companion.android.onboarding.OnboardingActivity#0
2022-01-06 13:23:51.409 27241-27241/? W/TaskThumbnailView: setThumbnail - task: [87952142: 33140, io.homeassistant.companion.android], thumbnailData: null, thumbnailData.thumbnail: null, - before - mTask: [null], mThumbnailData: null, mThumbnailData.thumbnail: null
2022-01-06 13:23:51.436 31556-31652/? I/HomeAssistantSearcher: Discovery stopped: _home-assistant._tcp
2022-01-06 13:23:51.459 27241-27241/? W/TaskView: onTaskDataUnloaded mSnapshotView: com.android.quickstep.views.TaskThumbnailView{d53ca1a V.ED..... ......ID 0,72-642,1086 #7f0a0076 app:id/snapshot}, task: [87952142: 33140, io.homeassistant.companion.android]
2022-01-06 13:23:51.459 27241-27241/? W/TaskThumbnailView: setThumbnail - task: [null], thumbnailData: null, thumbnailData.thumbnail: null, - before - mTask: [87952142: 33140, io.homeassistant.companion.android], mThumbnailData: null, mThumbnailData.thumbnail: null
2022-01-06 13:23:51.460 27241-27241/? W/TaskThumbnailView: setThumbnail - task: [21235700: 33145, io.homeassistant.companion.android], thumbnailData: null, thumbnailData.thumbnail: null, - before - mTask: [null], mThumbnailData: null, mThumbnailData.thumbnail: null
2022-01-06 13:23:51.461 27241-27241/? W/TaskView: onTaskDataUnloaded mSnapshotView: com.android.quickstep.views.TaskThumbnailView{d53ca1a V.ED..... ......ID 0,72-642,1086 #7f0a0076 app:id/snapshot}, task: [21235700: 33145, io.homeassistant.companion.android]
2022-01-06 13:23:51.461 27241-27241/? W/TaskThumbnailView: setThumbnail - task: [null], thumbnailData: null, thumbnailData.thumbnail: null, - before - mTask: [21235700: 33145, io.homeassistant.companion.android], mThumbnailData: null, mThumbnailData.thumbnail: null
2022-01-06 13:23:51.461 27241-27241/? W/TaskThumbnailView: setThumbnail - task: [21235700: 33145, io.homeassistant.companion.android], thumbnailData: null, thumbnailData.thumbnail: null, - before - mTask: [null], mThumbnailData: null, mThumbnailData.thumbnail: null
2022-01-06 13:23:51.487 27241-27241/? W/TaskThumbnailView: setThumbnail - task: [21235700: 33145, io.homeassistant.companion.android], thumbnailData: null, thumbnailData.thumbnail: null, - before - mTask: [21235700: 33145, io.homeassistant.companion.android], mThumbnailData: null, mThumbnailData.thumbnail: null
2022-01-06 13:23:51.487 27241-27241/? W/TaskThumbnailView: setThumbnail - task: [21235700: 33145, io.homeassistant.companion.android], thumbnailData: null, thumbnailData.thumbnail: null, - before - mTask: [218225697: 33146, com.android.settings], mThumbnailData: com.android.systemui.shared.recents.model.ThumbnailData@8c652d2, mThumbnailData.thumbnail: android.graphics.Bitmap@a196fa3
2022-01-06 13:23:51.524 27241-27241/? W/TaskThumbnailView: setThumbnail - task: [21235700: 33145, io.homeassistant.companion.android], thumbnailData: com.android.systemui.shared.recents.model.ThumbnailData@ecc0a78, thumbnailData.thumbnail: android.graphics.Bitmap@8e13551, - before - mTask: [21235700: 33145, io.homeassistant.companion.android], mThumbnailData: null, mThumbnailData.thumbnail: null
2022-01-06 13:23:51.525 27241-27241/? W/TaskThumbnailView: setThumbnail - task: [21235700: 33145, io.homeassistant.companion.android], thumbnailData: com.android.systemui.shared.recents.model.ThumbnailData@ecc0a78, thumbnailData.thumbnail: android.graphics.Bitmap@8e13551, - before - mTask: [21235700: 33145, io.homeassistant.companion.android], mThumbnailData: null, mThumbnailData.thumbnail: null
2022-01-06 13:23:51.528 27241-27241/? W/TaskThumbnailView: setThumbnail - task: [21235700: 33145, io.homeassistant.companion.android], thumbnailData: com.android.systemui.shared.recents.model.ThumbnailData@4b2d58d, thumbnailData.thumbnail: android.graphics.Bitmap@5441342, - before - mTask: [21235700: 33145, io.homeassistant.companion.android], mThumbnailData: com.android.systemui.shared.recents.model.ThumbnailData@ecc0a78, mThumbnailData.thumbnail: android.graphics.Bitmap@8e13551
2022-01-06 13:23:51.528 27241-27241/? W/TaskThumbnailView: setThumbnail - task: [21235700: 33145, io.homeassistant.companion.android], thumbnailData: com.android.systemui.shared.recents.model.ThumbnailData@4b2d58d, thumbnailData.thumbnail: android.graphics.Bitmap@5441342, - before - mTask: [21235700: 33145, io.homeassistant.companion.android], mThumbnailData: com.android.systemui.shared.recents.model.ThumbnailData@ecc0a78, mThumbnailData.thumbnail: android.graphics.Bitmap@8e13551
2022-01-06 13:23:51.606 27241-27241/? W/TaskThumbnailView: setThumbnail - task: [21235700: 33145, io.homeassistant.companion.android], thumbnailData: com.android.systemui.shared.recents.model.ThumbnailData@69945bc, thumbnailData.thumbnail: android.graphics.Bitmap@dea2945, - before - mTask: [21235700: 33145, io.homeassistant.companion.android], mThumbnailData: com.android.systemui.shared.recents.model.ThumbnailData@4b2d58d, mThumbnailData.thumbnail: android.graphics.Bitmap@5441342
2022-01-06 13:23:51.607 27241-27241/? W/TaskThumbnailView: setThumbnail - task: [21235700: 33145, io.homeassistant.companion.android], thumbnailData: com.android.systemui.shared.recents.model.ThumbnailData@5a4c89a, thumbnailData.thumbnail: android.graphics.Bitmap@d6485cb, - before - mTask: [21235700: 33145, io.homeassistant.companion.android], mThumbnailData: com.android.systemui.shared.recents.model.ThumbnailData@4b2d58d, mThumbnailData.thumbnail: android.graphics.Bitmap@5441342
2022-01-06 13:23:51.841 1122-1550/? W/SurfaceFlinger: Attempting to set client state on removed layer: io.homeassistant.companion.android/io.homeassistant.companion.android.onboarding.OnboardingActivity#1
2022-01-06 13:23:51.841 1122-1550/? W/SurfaceFlinger: Attempting to destroy on removed layer: io.homeassistant.companion.android/io.homeassistant.companion.android.onboarding.OnboardingActivity#1
2022-01-06 13:23:51.843 1122-1550/? W/SurfaceFlinger: Attempting to set client state on removed layer: io.homeassistant.companion.android/io.homeassistant.companion.android.onboarding.OnboardingActivity#1
2022-01-06 13:23:51.843 1122-1550/? W/SurfaceFlinger: Attempting to destroy on removed layer: io.homeassistant.companion.android/io.homeassistant.companion.android.onboarding.OnboardingActivity#1
2022-01-06 13:23:52.440 27241-27241/? W/TaskView: onTaskDataUnloaded mSnapshotView: com.android.quickstep.views.TaskThumbnailView{aff939 V.ED..... ......ID 0,72-1080,1992 #7f0a0076 app:id/snapshot}, task: [21235700: 33145, io.homeassistant.companion.android]
2022-01-06 13:23:52.440 27241-27241/? W/TaskThumbnailView: setThumbnail - task: [null], thumbnailData: null, thumbnailData.thumbnail: null, - before - mTask: [21235700: 33145, io.homeassistant.companion.android], mThumbnailData: com.android.systemui.shared.recents.model.ThumbnailData@69945bc, mThumbnailData.thumbnail: android.graphics.Bitmap@dea2945
2022-01-06 13:23:52.440 27241-27241/? W/TaskView: onTaskDataUnloaded mSnapshotView: com.android.quickstep.views.TaskThumbnailView{d53ca1a V.ED..... ......ID 0,72-642,1086 #7f0a0076 app:id/snapshot}, task: [21235700: 33145, io.homeassistant.companion.android]
2022-01-06 13:23:52.440 27241-27241/? W/TaskThumbnailView: setThumbnail - task: [null], thumbnailData: null, thumbnailData.thumbnail: null, - before - mTask: [21235700: 33145, io.homeassistant.companion.android], mThumbnailData: com.android.systemui.shared.recents.model.ThumbnailData@5a4c89a, mThumbnailData.thumbnail: android.graphics.Bitmap@d6485cb
2022-01-06 13:23:52.448 17559-21776/? I/ActivityManager: Killing 31556:io.homeassistant.companion.android/u0a138 (adj 901): remove task
2022-01-06 13:23:52.475 27241-27241/? W/TaskThumbnailView: setThumbnail - task: [21235700: 33145, io.homeassistant.companion.android], thumbnailData: com.android.systemui.shared.recents.model.ThumbnailData@c8677bb, thumbnailData.thumbnail: null, - before - mTask: [null], mThumbnailData: null, mThumbnailData.thumbnail: null
2022-01-06 13:23:52.475 27241-27241/? W/TaskThumbnailView: setThumbnail - task: [21235700: 33145, io.homeassistant.companion.android], thumbnailData: com.android.systemui.shared.recents.model.ThumbnailData@c8677bb, thumbnailData.thumbnail: null, - before - mTask: [null], mThumbnailData: null, mThumbnailData.thumbnail: null
2022-01-06 13:23:52.497 17559-17663/? W/InputDispatcher: channel '142c1d6 io.homeassistant.companion.android/io.homeassistant.companion.android.onboarding.OnboardingActivity (server)' ~ Consumer closed input channel or an error occurred.  events=0x9
2022-01-06 13:23:52.497 17559-17663/? E/InputDispatcher: channel '142c1d6 io.homeassistant.companion.android/io.homeassistant.companion.android.onboarding.OnboardingActivity (server)' ~ Channel is unrecoverably broken and will be disposed!
2022-01-06 13:23:52.497 17559-17663/? W/InputDispatcher: channel 'b2ab749 io.homeassistant.companion.android/io.homeassistant.companion.android.launch.LaunchActivity (server)' ~ Consumer closed input channel or an error occurred.  events=0x9
2022-01-06 13:23:52.497 17559-17663/? E/InputDispatcher: channel 'b2ab749 io.homeassistant.companion.android/io.homeassistant.companion.android.launch.LaunchActivity (server)' ~ Channel is unrecoverably broken and will be disposed!
2022-01-06 13:23:52.505 17559-17807/? I/WindowManager: WIN DEATH: Window{142c1d6 u0 io.homeassistant.companion.android/io.homeassistant.companion.android.onboarding.OnboardingActivity}
2022-01-06 13:23:52.505 17559-17807/? W/InputDispatcher: Attempted to unregister already unregistered input channel '142c1d6 io.homeassistant.companion.android/io.homeassistant.companion.android.onboarding.OnboardingActivity (server)'
2022-01-06 13:23:52.510 17559-21776/? I/WindowManager: WIN DEATH: Window{b2ab749 u0 io.homeassistant.companion.android/io.homeassistant.companion.android.launch.LaunchActivity}
2022-01-06 13:23:52.510 17559-21776/? W/InputDispatcher: Attempted to unregister already unregistered input channel 'b2ab749 io.homeassistant.companion.android/io.homeassistant.companion.android.launch.LaunchActivity (server)'
2022-01-06 13:23:52.529 27241-27241/? W/TaskThumbnailView: setThumbnail - task: [56501464: 33146, com.android.settings], thumbnailData: com.android.systemui.shared.recents.model.ThumbnailData@d62f846, thumbnailData.thumbnail: android.graphics.Bitmap@6ed3a07, - before - mTask: [21235700: 33145, io.homeassistant.companion.android], mThumbnailData: null, mThumbnailData.thumbnail: null
2022-01-06 13:23:55.351 17559-22236/? I/ActivityManager: START u0 {act=android.intent.action.MAIN cat=[android.intent.category.LAUNCHER] flg=0x10200000 cmp=io.homeassistant.companion.android/.launch.LaunchActivity bnds=[43,332][242,568]} from uid 10041
2022-01-06 13:23:55.413 17559-17595/? I/ActivityManager: Start proc 1337:io.homeassistant.companion.android/u0a138 for activity io.homeassistant.companion.android/.launch.LaunchActivity
2022-01-06 13:23:55.504 1337-1337/? I/chatty: uid=10138(io.homeassistant.companion.android) identical 1 line
2022-01-06 13:23:55.876 1337-1451/? I/FA: To enable faster debug mode event logging run:
      adb shell setprop debug.firebase.analytics.app io.homeassistant.companion.android
2022-01-06 13:23:56.277 17559-18155/? I/ActivityManager: START u0 {cmp=io.homeassistant.companion.android/.onboarding.OnboardingActivity (has extras)} from uid 10138
2022-01-06 13:23:56.336 17559-17601/? I/LaunchCheckinHandler: Displayed io.homeassistant.companion.android/.launch.LaunchActivity,cp,ca,944
2022-01-06 13:23:56.771 1122-1190/? W/SurfaceFlinger: Attempting to set client state on removed layer: Surface(name=AppWindowToken{9ccb797 token=Token{4e2b216 ActivityRecord{9481b31 u0 io.homeassistant.companion.android/.launch.LaunchActivity t33147}}})/@0x9376b08 - animation-leash#0
2022-01-06 13:23:56.771 1122-1190/? W/SurfaceFlinger: Attempting to destroy on removed layer: Surface(name=AppWindowToken{9ccb797 token=Token{4e2b216 ActivityRecord{9481b31 u0 io.homeassistant.companion.android/.launch.LaunchActivity t33147}}})/@0x9376b08 - animation-leash#0
2022-01-06 13:23:56.893 17559-17601/? I/ActivityManager: Displayed io.homeassistant.companion.android/.onboarding.OnboardingActivity: +550ms (total +1s498ms)
2022-01-06 13:23:57.055 1122-1575/? W/SurfaceFlinger: Attempting to set client state on removed layer: Splash Screen io.homeassistant.companion.android#0
2022-01-06 13:23:57.055 1122-1575/? W/SurfaceFlinger: Attempting to destroy on removed layer: Splash Screen io.homeassistant.companion.android#0
2022-01-06 13:24:00.100 1337-1479/? D/HomeAssistantSearcher: Service discovery started
2022-01-06 13:24:07.693 1337-1479/? I/HomeAssistantSearcher: Discovery stopped: _home-assistant._tcp
2022-01-06 13:24:10.721 25496-25496/? I/AndroidIME: AbstractIme.onActivate():86 LatinIme.onActivate() : EditorInfo = inputType=Text imeActionName=DONE dump=[inputType=0x8001 imeOptions=0x2000006 privateImeOptions=null actionLabel=null actionId=0 initialSelStart=0 initialSelEnd=0 initialCapsMode=0x0 hintText=null label=null packageName=io.homeassistant.companion.android fieldId=-1 fieldName=null extras=Bundle[{androidx.core.view.inputmethod.EditorInfoCompat.CONTENT_SELECTION_HEAD=0, androidx.core.view.inputmethod.EditorInfoCompat.CONTENT_SELECTION_END=0, androidx.core.view.inputmethod.EditorInfoCompat.CONTENT_SURROUNDING_TEXT=}] hintLocales=null contentMimeTypes=null ], IncognitoMode = false, DeviceLocked = false
2022-01-06 13:24:10.906 25496-25496/? I/AndroidIME: AbstractIme.onActivate():86 LatinIme.onActivate() : EditorInfo = inputType=Text imeActionName=DONE dump=[inputType=0x8001 imeOptions=0x2000006 privateImeOptions=null actionLabel=null actionId=0 initialSelStart=0 initialSelEnd=0 initialCapsMode=0x0 hintText=null label=null packageName=io.homeassistant.companion.android fieldId=-1 fieldName=null extras=Bundle[{androidx.core.view.inputmethod.EditorInfoCompat.CONTENT_SELECTION_HEAD=0, androidx.core.view.inputmethod.EditorInfoCompat.CONTENT_SELECTION_END=0, androidx.core.view.inputmethod.EditorInfoCompat.CONTENT_SURROUNDING_TEXT=}] hintLocales=null contentMimeTypes=null ], IncognitoMode = false, DeviceLocked = false
2022-01-06 13:24:23.964 17559-17595/? I/ActivityManager: Start proc 1693:com.android.chrome:sandboxed_process0/u0i335 for webview_service io.homeassistant.companion.android/org.chromium.content.app.SandboxedProcessService0
2022-01-06 13:24:24.263 25496-25496/? I/AndroidIME: AbstractIme.onActivate():86 PasswordIme.onActivate() : EditorInfo = inputType=Text imeActionName=UNSPECIFIED dump=[inputType=0x0 imeOptions=0x0 privateImeOptions=null actionLabel=null actionId=0 initialSelStart=-1 initialSelEnd=-1 initialCapsMode=0x0 hintText=null label=null packageName=io.homeassistant.companion.android fieldId=-1 fieldName=null extras=null hintLocales=null contentMimeTypes=null ], IncognitoMode = false, DeviceLocked = false
2022-01-06 13:24:24.516 1122-1122/? D/SurfaceFlinger: duplicate layer name: changing io.homeassistant.companion.android/io.homeassistant.companion.android.onboarding.OnboardingActivity to io.homeassistant.companion.android/io.homeassistant.companion.android.onboarding.OnboardingActivity#1
2022-01-06 13:24:24.554 25496-25496/? I/AndroidIME: AbstractIme.onActivate():86 PasswordIme.onActivate() : EditorInfo = inputType=Text imeActionName=UNSPECIFIED dump=[inputType=0x0 imeOptions=0x0 privateImeOptions=null actionLabel=null actionId=0 initialSelStart=-1 initialSelEnd=-1 initialCapsMode=0x0 hintText=null label=null packageName=io.homeassistant.companion.android fieldId=-1 fieldName=null extras=null hintLocales=null contentMimeTypes=null ], IncognitoMode = false, DeviceLocked = false
2022-01-06 13:24:26.239 1122-1575/? W/SurfaceFlinger: Attempting to set client state on removed layer: io.homeassistant.companion.android/io.homeassistant.companion.android.onboarding.OnboardingActivity#1
2022-01-06 13:24:26.239 1122-1575/? W/SurfaceFlinger: Attempting to destroy on removed layer: io.homeassistant.companion.android/io.homeassistant.companion.android.onboarding.OnboardingActivity#1
2022-01-06 13:24:30.985 1122-1122/? D/SurfaceFlinger: duplicate layer name: changing io.homeassistant.companion.android/io.homeassistant.companion.android.onboarding.OnboardingActivity to io.homeassistant.companion.android/io.homeassistant.companion.android.onboarding.OnboardingActivity#1

Thanks, it works now, by reinstalling the app again and using Nabu Casa. Strange, cause I don’t have these issues with other apps that are using my domain, it is not a firewall thing. At least it works now…

I was on a costum ROM with my phone and had the same problem of the Android app not connecting. The solution was to set the correct WebView version.

Go to “Developer options” : “WebView implementation” . I had to choose from: “Chrome Stable” : “Google WebView” : “AOSP WebView”
I switched from “AOSP WebView” to “Google WebView” and all works fine now.

2 Likes

I’m having this problem, too kaesbrott1199. Where is the “Developer options”?

if you dont see it on your phone settings then you need to enable it by tapping on build number 7 times in settings. As a custom ROM user you should really be familiar with this stuff.

Thank you for your reply, dshokouhi. The Android phone tells me I am already a Developer. The problem is that I am unable to get the HA mobile App to accept the duckDNS domain address. All I get is a phone message saying
“Unable to connect to Home Assistant. There was an error loading home assistant, please review the connection settings and try again. We will attempt to try another URL when you click on refresh”

that is not what the others above you did, go back and follow what they did first. Make sure that android system webview is used as webview and that it is googles version. Custom ROMs usually dont ship with the right version needed.

I see what you mean. I’ll follow your advice.

I followed your advice and did go to the front of the thread and…it works!

Thank you dshokouhi and all.

1 Like

I followed your advice and did go to the front of the thread and…it works!

Thank you dshokouhi and all.

Hi Everyone,

I was getting the “Forbidden” error when accessing my Home Assistant server (remotely, and on a different IP address) via the Android App. I then also tried accessing the server from my Android web browser and that threw the same “Forbidden” error. I solved the issue when I found an ip_bans.yaml file in my server’s working directory. The file contained the IP address of my phone.

I inspected my configuration.yaml file and found two settings:

ip_ban_enabled: True
  login_attempts_threshold: 10

So I deleted the ip_bans.yaml file, reset the login_attempts_threshold to 50 (from 10), restarted the server, and was able to configure the app and connect. Perhaps others are having this problem, so I hope this information is helpful to some.

Michael

Hi!
Here, it seams like a DNS Problem.
Got 3 Android phones here. Android 9, Android 10 and Android 12 as OS.

By using the IP (http://192…)
is works on all of them.

By using the name (http://homeassistan.local:8123) it works on the on with Android 12 but not on the older ones.
I use the same setting on all of them - as far as I can see.
Unfortunatly I cannot work with static IPs. So I search for a solution.
Any help is welcome.

THanks
Rakete

I’m seeing intermittent weirdness.

If I connect locally and turn off wifi , it works and I get this in the log

2022-03-13 18:51:29 ERROR (MainThread) [frontend.js.latest.202203011] https://<external_ip>/lovelace/home?external_auth=1:0:0 Uncaught

When I’m away for a period of time, I’m unable to connect externally and this is in the log
I can also replicate this by restarting HASS and then trying to connect using the app

2022-03-13 19:04:36 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.http.ban] Login attempt or request with invalid authentication from 172.xx.xx.xx (172.xx.xx.xx). (HomeAssistant/Android Pixel 5a beta-2162-2de58151-2162)

I searched all folders and can’t find any ip_bans.yaml so it doesn’t seem to actually banning the IP.

This is from the app log and seems to be the only mention of not being able to connect to the external URL

03-13 19:06:18.704 24736 24736 E WebViewPresenterImpl: Unable to retrieve external auth
03-13 19:06:18.704 24736 24736 E WebViewPresenterImpl: io.homeassistant.companion.android.common.data.authentication.AuthorizationException
03-13 19:06:18.704 24736 24736 E WebViewPresenterImpl: 	at io.homeassistant.companion.android.common.data.authentication.impl.AuthenticationRepositoryImpl.ensureValidSession(AuthenticationRepositoryImpl.kt:231)
03-13 19:06:18.704 24736 24736 E WebViewPresenterImpl: 	at io.homeassistant.companion.android.common.data.authentication.impl.AuthenticationRepositoryImpl.access$ensureValidSession(AuthenticationRepositoryImpl.kt:27)
03-13 19:06:18.704 24736 24736 E WebViewPresenterImpl: 	at io.homeassistant.companion.android.common.data.authentication.impl.AuthenticationRepositoryImpl$ensureValidSession$1.invokeSuspend(Unknown Source:15)
03-13 19:06:18.704 24736 24736 E WebViewPresenterImpl: 	at kotlin.coroutines.jvm.internal.BaseContinuationImpl.resumeWith(ContinuationImpl.kt:33)
03-13 19:06:18.704 24736 24736 E WebViewPresenterImpl: 	at kotlinx.coroutines.DispatchedTask.run(DispatchedTask.kt:106)
03-13 19:06:18.704 24736 24736 E WebViewPresenterImpl: 	at android.os.Handler.handleCallback(Handler.java:938)
03-13 19:06:18.704 24736 24736 E WebViewPresenterImpl: 	at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:99)
03-13 19:06:18.704 24736 24736 E WebViewPresenterImpl: 	at android.os.Looper.loopOnce(Looper.java:201)
03-13 19:06:18.704 24736 24736 E WebViewPresenterImpl: 	at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:288)
03-13 19:06:18.704 24736 24736 E WebViewPresenterImpl: 	at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:7839)
03-13 19:06:18.704 24736 24736 E WebViewPresenterImpl: 	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
03-13 19:06:18.704 24736 24736 E WebViewPresenterImpl: 	at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(RuntimeInit.java:548)
03-13 19:06:18.704 24736 24736 E WebViewPresenterImpl: 	at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:1003)
03-13 19:06:18.707 24736 24736 D UrlRepository: localUrl is: true and usesInternalSsid is: false
03-13 19:06:18.707 24736 24736 D UrlRepository: Using external URL
03-13 19:06:18.709 24736 24736 D UrlRepository: localUrl is: true and usesInternalSsid is: false
03-13 19:06:21.094 24736 24791 D OpenGLRenderer: endAllActiveAnimators on 0xb40000766d42b310 (RippleDrawable) with handle 0xb40000757d3e9480

please create an issue on github and make sure to fill out the entire issue template including the log

I had the same problem in local or wifi does not work and out of home if…
I wanted to do my bit by explaining how I solved it.

I got the feeling that the problem was in the DNS part when I activated the
SSL, That being at home when pinging the “xxx . duckdns . org” translates the wan ip and not the lan ip.

I solved it from the pc editing the file C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\host, adding 192.168.1.200 xxx. duckdns. org,
but with the mobile I had it more complicated

Entering in the configuration of my operator router, if you have to the DNS section try to add to resolve the “xxx. duckdns. org” to the ip 192.168.1.xx
(in my case this option did not work for me).

Then I tried with the DHCP, this service is to reserve ip , you have to add, the host name, your ip and your mac Address

In my router the host name did not let me write it because it was a drop down and only appeared the initial part of my domain XXX and not XXX. duckdns. org.

But… using the f12 of the browser to see the source code of the router web, look for the line of a detachable:

<option value="B6:8E:D9:64:F1:D2">XXX</option>
and change it to 
<option value="B6:8E:D9:64:F1:D2">XXX.duckdns.org</option>
and the router accepted it.

Now when I ping locally it resolves 192.168.1.xxx and when I ping outside it resolves the wan ip that I have at that moment.

I think that if a local dns service is mounted, the route is added so that your local domain xxx. duckdns. org resolves to the local ip address 192.168.1.xxx and not to the public one, then the dhcp server (router) is edited to assigning our local dns server as the first option would also be solved

IT WORKED!
For some reason, removing cache and data didn’t solve it, but doing that AND uninstalling the app did the trick… Weird. I would have thought that removing the data would be the same as uninstalling the app.

Maybe this log would have something to do with it.

Logger: aiohttp.server
Source: /usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/aiohttp/web_protocol.py:405
First occurred: 3:50:14 PM (39 occurrences)
Last logged: 3:50:29 PM

Error handling request
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/aiohttp/web_protocol.py", line 334, in data_received
    messages, upgraded, tail = self._request_parser.feed_data(data)
  File "aiohttp/_http_parser.pyx", line 551, in aiohttp._http_parser.HttpParser.feed_data
aiohttp.http_exceptions.BadStatusLine: 400, message="Bad status line 'Invalid method encountered'"