Announcement - HADashboard v2 Beta 2!

just a quick update, for some reason after upgrading i could not get my dashboard to show any text anymore. i deleted the compiled directories that did not work. It turns out i had to clear the cache of my chrome browser and then everything worked again. So if you are not seeing any text and you had the previous version running be sure to clear cache of your browser

1 Like

Just to clarify, are you talking about upgrading from Dash v1 to Dash v2 beta or from beta 1 to beta 2?

For the moment, only FA and MDI libs.

Images for icons are on my list.

1 Like

I figured as much - that’s why I said “for the moment”… LOL

1 Like

yes i upgraded from beta 1 (the one from this thread Announcement: HADashboard v2 Beta!) to beta 2 using git pull origin. I restarted the dashboard to be sure and all i could see where the tiles but no info inside them (no text’s) i then explicitly deleted the compiled directory but that did not help either. I had the problem with all skins i tried (do need to metion i opend all skins at least once with previous version (beta 1) also). As soon as i cleared browser cache in chrome (windows) the text appeared again when loading the dashboard again and everything seemed to work like it should. Perhaps some javascript or something else was being used from the cache but all works fine now

It could be i might have the same problem on my other pc at home as i opened the dashboards there as well. I’ll need to check it when i get home if it happens there i’ll make a screenshot first to show you what it looked like but just imagine the tiles being displayed but no text from widgets or widget titles.

check your dash_url in your appdaemon.cfg file. If you reference the url using an IP address, your have to use the same IP address to reach it from your browser. If you used a host name, you have to use the same hostname. In short, the dash_url and the URL you use in the browser have to match.

1 Like

I’m at work today logged in remotely. I setup a hostname in my etc/hosts table on my mac that points to the external IP address for my house. I changed the appdaemon.cfg dash_url to use the same hostname.

MAC hosts file
100.200.300.400 haweb

haweb server where appdash is installed
dash_url: http://haweb:5050

From my MAC I browse to http://haweb:5050 and I get the following.

Yes, it is raining today.

Here is my case for needing remote access.

1. there are times when I’m not home for unplanned reasons, and I want to switch modes on my house from just standard away for the night.
  2. There are times when I find myself at the back end of my property where wifi doesn’t reach or at a neighbors house and I need to be able to lock the doors and turn on the house alarm.

hey @lordsiris, just tried your new clear_sky_skin version. Is it normal that when text (widget title’s) word wrap there is soo much spacing between the text ?

like in this screenshot

Compare it to the default skin it does not have this problem:

Sorry I don’t have an answer for your question but could you share the URL for your Weather Radar? When I use the WU animated radar I can’t get it to resize like that using Andrew’s posted method and I’m thinking that maybe I am either using the wrong source or have the URL set up incorrectly. I’d like to compare yours to what I am using because it looks like the same source. Thanks!

Yes, please see the notes in the readme file on github.

Try adjusting the line-height property. That may help.

The javascript that vertically centers h1.title when no h1.title2 exists is what does that to auto wrapped items. Simply manually enter title and title2 for the widgets and everything is centered vertically nicely.

Glad you got it working. I honestly wasn’t sure how it would work with other rss feeds as I simply wrote it and tested it with only the one i intended to use. Thought it would get me by until the widget structure was completed by aimc (so i could venture down creating one) or an RSS widget was released.

1 Like

Kinda weird because if you look at the external library you used, there seems to be specific support for Google feeds, but they wreak havoc.

So i’m having a weird problem using a custom skin with the head_includes parameter in the variables.yaml. Basically, if I make an edit to the dash, then refresh in the browser the includes show up as expected. On a subsequent refresh they aren’t loaded though. If I make another edit in the dash file (triggering a compile I assume) they will once again show up on the first refresh.

Also, somewhat offtopic, but I’ve been playing with the dev branch a bit and it seems the last couple commits have broken the processing of background colors in the widget_style parameter. Also loving the iframe with the padding removed, works exactly like I hoped it would.

We will get to remote access but it is not a usecase I have designed for at this point. We will need security as well as SSL access. To get this to work smoothly I will need to do a fair amount of work, and it is on the list just not for the moment. I will get to it I promise, just not during the Beta.

Adding some more info to troubleshoot the weird includes behavior… adding dash_force_compile = 1 to the appdaemon config file doesn’t change the behavior. Still only works on the first refresh after making a change to the dash, subsequent refreshes don’t have the includes.

Thanks did not notice that on the repository i’ll try it later.

did you restart appdaemon after adding the dash_force_compile = 1? I had the exact same problem a few days ago and the force was the fix.