Announcement - HADashboard v2 Beta 2!

Any idea if/when the Alarm Control Panel will be brought over into a widget?

https://home-assistant.io/docs/ecosystem/hadashboard/dash_config/#alarm-control-panel

Working on it now - it will be in the next beta.

1 Like

Awesome… That’s the final piece I’m needing to finish up my configuration!

#Tuning your Android tablet for Dash

As far as response time, v2 is definitely an improvement over v1, but I have a feeling that’s not going to help you much with a slow tablet. One obvious thing you could do is root the tablet if you can and install a custom ROM. But rooting isn’t everyone’s forte and there may not be a root exploit available for your tab if it isn’t a popular or brand name device.

So here’s a list of other things you can do to improve speed that don’t require root:

• Reduce the number of home screens and widgets. In fact, if you are dedicating these tabs to Dashboard use, remove ALL widgets and just have a shortcut on a single home screen to launch the dash.

• Remove all unnecessary apps. If you don’t need Facebook or GMail on your Dash tabs, remove them. Besides the overhead of the apps themselves, you’ll remove the overhead of syncing.

• Reduce or turn off the number of apps that sync accounts.

• Turn off or reduce all Animations. Majority of the time people experience lag issues while opening Apps or anything. 90% of the time its the Animation bug, Turning off the Animation would fix App launch lags or black screen. To turn Animations Off Go to Developer Options ( If you can’t see it, Go to About Device > Tap on the build Number for 6-7 times. Now, Go back to find Developer Options just above the About Phone) Find the options in the panel & set it as mentioned below :

Set Window Animation Scale to “Animation off”.
Set Transition Animation Scale to “Animation off”.
Set Animator duration Scale to “Animation off”.

• Also, while you’re in Dev Options, see if you have the option to select a runtime available to you. If so, you should switch from Dalvik to ART. But do this after you do the following.

• Disable any unused system apps. You can’t remove system apps without root, but you can disable them. Your tab probably came with dozens of apps you never use. You can disable those Apps by navigating to Settings > Apps > Find the Apps, clear the data/cache & then uninstall updates and disable.

Think about this as you are going through your apps; do you need Facebook, or Drive or Google Play Music on an tab running your dashboard? For that matter News & Weather? I stripped mine back to the bare essentials - disabling a majority of the internal apps and leaving the basics. I ended up with 12 apps, some of which could not be disabled so I was stuck with them (Email and Gallery are two such examples.)

I also disabled the Google App. Why do I need this running when I have Google Home as well as 4 other devices I can use for search? This is one of the largest impacts on my system and disabling it truly improved the performance.

• Clean out your caches, especially in Chrome.
  • NO LIVE WALLPAPERS. In fact, no wallpapers at all. If you’re using dash, that’s your wallpaper.
  • Consider using a leaner launcher or use the stock one. You don’t need frills and features at this point.

Now reboot. Let your system finish booting and then go into your apps screen. Anything there that you previously disabled? Disable them it again. Then go into the Play store app and turn off Auto updating.

Finally, check the runtime as previously suggested. The reason you want to do this after everything else is that to convert to a different runtime, Android has to recompile for every app that’s installed. That’ll go much faster if there are less apps. WARNING: This step can take a LOT of time and your tablet may become very warm while it’s running so be advised.

Now this won’t turn a VW Beetle into a Ferrrari, but this will squeeze out every last bit of performance out of a tablet that you are DEDICATING to Dash. Hope this helps.

5 Likes

Here is my use case:
I need a clock in the living room and also would love to control some HA items. I wonder if anyone has tried running HADashboard from a Raspberry Pi with a touchscreen and how does it look/behaves.

How would I manage the clock? Should it be a screensaver that comes on after a minute? or does HA have the ability to revert back to a main page or home page after some time of inactivity? This could bring me back to a page where only a clock widget would show, after pressing it, it would send me to a menu screen. Do you think it would work?

Not currently possible, but I like the idea and have added it to my list.

1 Like

does state_map work with numbers now?

Not in beta 2, it will in beta 3.

That’s what I thought. Some earlier responses from Rene and Riptera made me think it was in this release, but it may just be in their test code.

Just for the record, I included the Pi native browser in my tests and Dash and the Skins will work but may require an adjustment or two depending on your setup.

1 Like

Can u show a screenshot? :wink:

Has someone a dashboard with input select and slider? How does it look like and how controlling those?

Dies this board support CSS Polygone
?

Thanks … that would be great.
With another home automation system that I used to table with, not only did they have this feature of returning to a “main page” after a specific amount of time (user selectable) but they also had a feature where in this case, you could send an automation to view a page and be able to keep alive for “x” period of time. So if you wanted to see the full weather screen from 7:00AM to 7:20AM so that it would be displayed as you walk passed it when you wake up, there would be a command to send out at 7am for 19 minutes and the timeout to return to “main page” would bring you back at 7:20. This could also be used for a different screen when you come home from work, let’s say display the stock market and news, and also display all the security cameras on specific triggers or part of a “good night script” … Anyway, just passing out ideas. Thanks again.

1 Like

I know there is a lot of far more important stuff going on with V2, but I’d like to make a request. I’d love it if there was a map widget that could parse sensor data and use coordinates or address to map the location of something (like a person). I’ve got a sensor in Hass that shows the city, state my parents are in (they are truckers) and I had gotten V1 set up to show that information using one of the sensor widgets, but just as text.

I do have plans to allow close integration with AppDaemon - that’s a good couple if usecases, thanks.

I’ll add it to the list - that’s a fair amount of work though.

Thanks, I can imagine it won’t be a simple one. Definitely not a priority :slight_smile:

1 Like

I absolutely love mine, I’ll be getting at least another :slight_smile:

I’ve put up a few posts about it that should cover most questions:

If you’ve any more, post them up :slight_smile:

Thanks Bit-River … good to know that it runs and seems to be a good contender for this type of application.
I will have to do a little bit of reading and look for your posts so that I can gain some knowledge. Funny … I just crowdfunded the same case this morning with a HAT on Kickstarter,