Another newbie lost with HA for RP4

I just got a RP4 and commenced with HA OS install. Used a 64G SD and followed, as much as I understand, the guidelines at, Raspberry Pi - Home Assistant
The url I picked was, https://github.com/home-assistant/operating-system/releases/download/8.1/haos_rpi4-64-8.1.img.xz

Install went ok, booted RP and after a while HA black screen came up on attached monitor with the ha> prompt.
I then on my computer entered the homeassistant.local:8123 and got into the HA gui. 1st question, is I thought from installing the HA OS that supervisor would be there but it isn’t, makes me wonder what I did wrong. Not the end of the world but it would have been nice to have. I guess somehow I installed a different version.
2nd question is I had been running a windows portable version on a laptop and would like to copy config folder to RP, but don’t understand how to get there. The name of the SD version created is called, hassos-boot, and it has one folder, overlays and some files. I tried to copy config folder to this SD, but got an error about drive too small, Even though it is a 64G SD, the volume was just created large enough to hold the boot. I also don’t get any kind of graphic display on the RP attached monitor.
I have read till my eyes hurt, googled, watched several youtube videos and can’t seem to break the code.
When booting up the RP with SD, it shows waiting for the HA CLI to be ready then shows the AH logo, all in black with the prompt I mentioned earlier. HA OS version shows 8.1
Any help appreciated.

In the menu, go to Configuration → System → System Health and see what it indicates for Installation Type.

I suspect you may in fact have installed Home Assistant OS. The Supervisor menu icon is no longer displayed in the main menu.

1 Like
Version core-2022.6.5
Installation Type Home Assistant OS
Development false
Supervisor true
Docker true
User root
Virtual Environment false
Python Version 3.9.12
Operating System Family Linux
Operating System Version 5.15.32-v8
CPU Architecture aarch64
Timezone America/Chicago

Home Assistant Cloud

MANAGE

Logged In false
Reach Certificate Server ok
Reach Authentication Server ok
Reach Home Assistant Cloud ok

Home Assistant Supervisor

Host Operating System Home Assistant OS 8.1
Update Channel stable
Supervisor Version supervisor-2022.05.3
Agent Version 1.2.1
Docker Version 20.10.14
Disk Total 58.7 GB
Disk Used 3.0 GB
Healthy true
Supported true
Board rpi4-64
Supervisor API ok
Version API ok
Installed Add-ons

As suspected, you did install it correctly but assumed it lacked Supervisor because you didn’t see the Supervisor icon in the menu.

1 Like

ok, that seems to be the case, but how is it run in this situation?

My main question is how to pull configuration from the windows portable version so I don’t have to re label all the devices the new RP version has found. It seems somewhat elusive. Maybe not a way to do it. For example, I have 35+ Insteon devices that were named and automations created, etc, that now just show Switchlinc Dimmer XX XX XX . Just may have to start over if there is no way to do it.

How I’d do it?

Install Google drive backup on both instances (it’s in addons) then backup to Google drive on the old one and restore to the new one.

Don’t see it. I selected the advanced and still don’t see google drive backup.

Instructions can be found here:

1 Like

update. I had my doubts this would work, my version of HA is a windows portable one that does not support add ons, so what I did was do a back up on this laptop to a usb drive. Then did the google back up and moved the usb drive to my main computer and did a restore from the usb. it appears to have worked. thanks for the idea.

1 Like

Google backup is the FIRST thing I install on any HA install. It’s saved my bacon multiple times.

Install the “Samba Share” add-on on the Pi 4 version - once installed and running you can connect to a number of shares - “backup” where you can copy a backup from your old system and do a partial restore. or “config” where you can copy across all your yaml files etc.

These days of limited yaml restoring a backup is usually easier.