Another Samba share problem with Windows 10

Hi all,

I know there are floods of posts about being unable to connect to Samba share but I cant find anything relating to this that is of any help, so here goes…

i’m running the current version of Hass.io and Samba share, everything works via android and wifi, however when i try to connect to it on my windows 10 pc either on wifi or ethernet i cant find the folders… i can connect to hassio.local:8123 and I can ping my ip but it wont show up in explorer.

I am quite sure there is no problem with HA or Samba share, it’s more likely to be in the configuration for windows 10 but i have no idea where to look or what to check. I’ve done a search on google and tried everything i could find, nothing worked…

any help?

thanks

have you tried accessing the share by typing in the path directly into file explorer rather than relying on discovery?

\\ip.to.ha\config

for example

\\192.168.1.2\config
3 Likes

I think this is the problem

smb mite be turn off on your windows10

in the search start tryping "turn windows

click on the app

scroll down to
SMB 1.0/CIF File sharing Support
click the +
turn on the middle one
then click OK
its start down some thing and
(reboot pc just to be safe)

do a window+e
in the Quick access type \IPADDRESSOFHASS

2 Likes

What silvrr said is what I’ve been doing for a long time.
I did save the location as a favorite after that.
YMMV though.

hay bro just answered for you

1 Like

This isn’t his issue and Samba 1.0 support isn’t required. I just checked mine as I hoped I didn’t have it turned on. Samba 1.0 has a number of known security flaws and should be left off unless it is actually needed.

Myle you are a legend!

it now shows up in my explorer… however… when i click on it i get the following error… any ideas?

hassio

i clicked ‘diagnose’ and it came back saying it couldn’t find anything…

thank you!

did you try the ipaddress \ipaddressofhassio

yes, depending on where i type it,

entered here

i get a browser window opening up with the following message

entered here

I get a blank window

if I click Diagnose I get the following message

sorry thought I had hit reply for the previous message

do a window+e

over type the Quick access with

\\192.168.0.32
5 Likes

thank you, something so simple as \ and its all working fine, you are a legend thank you!

The naming thing \\myserver\ has always been an issue. I believe Windows uses it’s own naming service WINS instead of DNS for shares. Samba (or SMB) was originally open source CIFS “borrowed” for NetBIOS networking. You “can” set up a DNS to WINS binding in some configs, or set up WINS itself.

Sometimes it “will” work though with DNS names. I think the share hosts WINS identifier (workgroup etc.) has to match the DNS identifier or something. I got it working a long time again, but don’t remember how.

Best to just use:

\\10.0.0.1\share_name

And then “map network drive” to something like X: drive and it will reconnect at boot (usually).

3 Likes

Well put bro

Got into the files and maped the drive. Thank you all for your time and help :grin:

I am not win10 (1909). Yesterday I set all these features and was able to get Hassio samba from win explorer. But today win10 does not access the hassio samba again. Checked all those features - all selected… but does not work… it does not even ping it… What else to check?
btw, at the same time I can access hassio share from macOS… no issue. But how d I do it from win10.

Unbelievable. it has just started working again… f%ck… i just restarted one tasmota switch… how comes??? im ff%%%cking puzzled w this win10

We will use blame Microsoft again lol

win10 does not see the hassio again… it can not ping it even… something wrong with networking in win10 or with my router… any guess what can I check?

• win10 does not ping devices which are connected to the router using ethernet and at the same time does ping all wifi connected devices.
  • if I connect win10 with ethernet cable I can ping and I can get hassio samba. and ping any device in my network: wifi, eth…
    seems this proglem appears once win10 on wifi… any guess?

The solution to most peoples problems with SAMBA shares not showing would be cured if Homeassistant supported WSDD. This could be enabled by running this simple python script in the SAMBA docker container:
WSDD Github Python Script
It ‘Just Works’ and requires no configuring (I use it on my main Ubuntu Server).
Alex