Any plans to enable FaceID/Pin Lock?

@tom_l why are you so offensive? I do not expect that from a moderator. I was just explaining user behavior, not everybody is a genius as you think you are.

Also the original request is still valid, even after more then a year.

1 Like

Do you you leave your car or house keys unattended in public?

Iā€™m betting you donā€™t because that would be just as idiotic as leaving your phone the same way.

if it was supposed to be a request, then why not post it under Feature Requests - Home Assistant Community ?
In that way people can voteā€¦

Not that you get my voteā€¦
I never leave my phone unlocked when unattended, and already have some apps that require my face 3 timesā€¦very annoying!!

Never lost your keys? You probably not. But while you read this, many people did.

I think no one is asking for a requirement, but for an option. So why are you against an option for user, who want to use this option? Will never understand why someone is against something, which brings no negative effects for others.

I would like to see this as well. And AFAIK it is already in the Android version. Donā€™t think that there are other arguments than on ios.

Iā€™m using HA app and sometimes give my device for youtube or photo or whatever purposes to my son. But I still donā€™t want, that he uses my HA app. Or access to my NAS app (which has such feature) or to my banking apps or to my ā€¦

But again, leave users their ideas how and what to do with their phones, if they are only voicing their wishes. If it will not be implemented, OK, but what user want should stay their own wishes.

1 Like

Totally agree with this request. I want to be able to shield my Home Assistant app when I let someone else use my phone temporarily. You can doubt the use case all you want, but
all security related apps have this, and plenty of others too. Even Outlook for iOS has it.

This is the single reason why I still require people in my home to enter a code when arming/disarming the alarm.

(Edit: phrasing of first sentence)

3 Likes

Started it as a discussion on the app repo: Feature parity with Android - app lock Ā· Discussion #2110 Ā· home-assistant/iOS (github.com)

Hi Guys I done it on IOS using Shortcuts as below.
1- shortcuts.
2- personal.
3- automation.
4- app.
5- chose app you want to lock.
6- leaves is Opened.
7- add action.
8- search for timer and chose start timer.
9- from start time for 1 change minutes to seconds then press next.
10 got to clock chose alarm and from drop down menu when timer ends chose stop playing.

ENJOY

How should this enable faceid or touchid for the app?

Hello,

Sorry for digging up this old topicā€¦
Any news about FaceID/TouchID/PIN code activation ?

Nowadays, few are the applications allowing access to sensitive data that do not offer enhanced security. Home Assistant provides complete access to our homes (security cams, lights, heater,ā€¦) and even though we can lock a phone, a second authentication when launching the app seems crucial to me because it prevents someone from gaining access to our home automation system in case of theft while using the phone, for instance.

I really hope that the application can be updated in this regard. In the meantime, I will settle for configuring the application for local use only.

Most apps that deal with sensitive information add this second layer of security (banking, password managers, alarm apps, home automation, etc). A few people may think that a FaceID call is redundant if your phone was already unlocked with it, but letā€™s say itā€™s snatched from your hand while unlocked and that second layer isnā€™t there. Now the other person has access to everything on your phone as well as everything the phone is a key for.

To say it isnā€™t necessary to have multiple layers of security is ignorant of best security practices.

People are asking for the same level of security on an app that equates in a lot of cases to the keys to your house. Do you always login to your computer as root and never lock the screen? Or do you have several levels of privilege escalation that you have to go through to get to system level? FaceID / Biometric auth is a no-brainer.

I have asked the new maintainers/responsible in the related announcement thread already again as well

But unfortunately, not even a reply.

As said, curious, because afaik it is available in the android version.

But in generell: I think no one is asking for a mandatory settings, but esp. only an optional one.

Well said. It should be an option to be able to lock the app on Apple like it is on Android