Any way for custom lovelace cards to show on older ios devices?

Hi everyone, I know this might be a stupid question. But I have an older ipad which currently runs Tileboard. However I would like to display my lovelace setup instead. It seems that the webkit is too old to support custom lovelace cards (standard lovelace works fine btw).

Is there any way to make them show anyway? Even if it is a bit hacky? I do not want to use cloud based browsers like Puffin as that would send all my info to their servers first. Or would it be able to recreate lovelace components in the “old UI”?

And if all of that is not possible, would it be possible to have 2 lovelace-ui.yaml files? For example I serve the first config to all new devices and a second config to all older devices?
I have thought about creating tabs just for the iPad and use Kiosk mode, but this would make the navigation bar extremely long (as I have 12 tabs, and if I would add another 12 just for the ipad this would look horrible and would be impractical).

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Maybe it is me that stepped in late in the Home assistant (just started this year), but I do not have any lovelace.yaml file. mine works exactly like:

What version are you on? I´m on 0.87.1

I use the same HA version, but I don’t use the interface to configure it. I use the “old” way for lovelace. It is actually the same thing but usually works better for me (and I can commit changes much faster as I have the file open in a text editor). So basically what it comes down to is that the storage mode and the ui-lovelace.yaml file are the same thing :stuck_out_tongue:

If you want to do this yourself than you will need to create the file yourself and add the following to your configuration.yaml file, after that copy all the files from your editor to this file and restart HA. Now you will be able to edit your lovelace config with a text editor (which can be accessed without HA running). However you will no longer be able to edit lovelace through the interface.

lovelace:
  mode: yaml

The question remains, does this solve the custom cards error, for example the monster card doesn’t work on older iPads.

None of the custom cards work on my older ipad (ios 9.3.5). That is why I asked the question, I jailbroke my ipad in the hopes of finding some solution, but to no avail unfortunately.

1 Like

Any news ?
Even with jailbreak iPad ?

No answer as of yet. Though I do not think it is possible. All threads I have read about ios and the webkit suggests that the only way to get the newer webkit version is to update ios (which is not possible on older ipads/iphones). On the jailbreak forums I found that there is no “tweak” for this.

Too bad because my old ipad is too slow for anything else, but perfect for Home Assistant as a wall panel. Oh well, I use Tileboard for my iPads now which look nice and is pretty easy to configure (though not as flexible).

1 Like

So tilebord works well on older iPad ?
It’s too bad to maintained two interface …
I think I may have to think about of buying Android tablet … ^^

PS : any browser have embedded webkit (updated)

Yes it works on older ipads. Yes I know that any browser has it, though you would need a newer version of webkit to display those elements. Which unfortunately only comes with ios updates (as it is baked into safari). Installing other browsers won’t do much good as they all use the same webkit version (because Apple locked this). So using Chrome will have the same result.

What you could do, but I wouldn’t recommend it, is using an app like Puffin. This is a cloud based browser, you’ll send the request to load a certain page and their servers will serve it back to you with their current webkit. This works however all data will be sent over to their servers (not ideal imho).

Tileboard was easy to configure for me (took me 1 to 2 hours to learn and configure it).
Yes it is a pain to maintain 2 interfaces, but I have to admit that my Tileboard setup is made in a way to be very simple but still elegant. Whereas my lovelace setup is much fancier but also more cluttered.

Lovelace screen:

Tileboard screen:

1 Like

Kind of OT, but for your weather forecast tile in TileBoard, do the dates update automatically? Mine only update when I “refresh” the page.

Good question, haven’t noticed it yet. Though I use kiosk pro (ipad app) together with guided access. My homepage refreshes every 30 seconds as it is the default configuration for Kiosk Pro.

Ah, I’m running the same setup, but don’t have the auto refresh since I use the screensaver from TileBoard. I’m guessing you leave yours on all of the time?

I wish I could but there is no power close to the ipad. I have to charge it once every 10 days give or take. Though I have to manually turn it off, I have it jailbroken so I could use gestures to lock it. Kiosk Pro keeps the ipad on, as well as guided access (they both keep the ipad running unfortunately). I could buy the plus version of Kiosk Pro (€49) which would automatically dim the screen after inactivity and has motion sensing via the proximity sensor. I do not know what kind of a hit that would be on the battery though.

For now it is fine the way it is, I have a cameraphone (appartment) nearby and I might be able to tap power from there though it seems like it is powered over ethernet. So for now this is my solution, but best would be if it could stay on all the time. But tbh I won’t be working much on this as this ipad will be replaced (hopefully this year) so I can run my lovelace interface.

I might consider building a “photoframe” around the ipad with a bunch of powerbanks in it so I would only need to charge it once in a while. For now it only is useful for basic tasks as we use our phones mainly for switching (and dedicated buttons like the ones from xiaomi).

Ah makes sense. Yeah I’d love to replace mine at some point, but it’s low priority expense-wise.

looks awasome!!

Hi jimz011, this is very interesting!
Can you share Tileboard’s configuration (or some part of it)? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks for your posts, starting from today my old iPad has a new life :slight_smile:

Actually, I have learnt quite a bit about CSS and I am going to make a special lovelace iPad view for older ipads just with some CSS and some mods to the cards (thanks Thomas Loven).

Anyways, it will work on older ipads AND have the current interface.
This config on the screenshots is really old and I would not recommend using it as the code is horrible. Though I have some bad news, I do not have the TileBoard config anymore. I have actually tried to search them through my backups, but nowhere to be found. If I do happen to find it again I will send it to you.

In the mean time, for my current setup, check my github here: https://github.com/jimz011/homeassistant I will make a separate view for older iPads soon which will look similar to the config you see in this link.

@Antonio_Chietera

Very very late response, but I came across my old Tileboard config, the one you asked for remember?

It is over here:

Click on Tileboard repo, for my current repo you can click on homeassistant.

Really looking forward to your iPad view as I have the same issue as you.

I hoped that the “home panel” could be an alternative. Unfortunately there is an infinite loop in the authentication process after logging in.

Is there an update in terms of the Tileboard iPad view?

I am still considering if I will make this or not. I have new tablets all over the place now and do not have the need to do this. I still might though albeit for testing purposes.

But tbh, I have ran it on older ios devices and Tileboard works better imho for that purpose.

I have given up on Tileboard myself as I have been working on Lovelace a lot lately. You can find the link here: https://github.com/jimz011/homekit-infused

If I will make such a lovelace view for older tablets you should keep in mind that I can not make it the same way as my lovelace config for the simple reason that custom cards are not supported. If and only if I create something like this it will be very simple in terms of features. Also if I can not use CCH on older tablets I might not try at all as I have so many views.

1 Like