Any Zigbee motion sensor with fast refresh interval?

Sorry for the shortcuts. I was trying to say that there are some repository sources under Hacs in Home Assistant. They claim to shorten the cool down period of hue motrion sensors to 1s.

Good news, Aqara seems to have listened to us and has relaunched its sensor improved.

• Now can be set to detect motion again from 1 second to 200.
  • Allows you to adjust the sensitivity (perfect for those who have animals at home)
  • Larger battery capacity
    https://www.aqara.com/eu/product/motion-sensor-p1
    It may be a bit difficult to find it in stock and the price is a bit high.
    I will continue to use the previous sensors with the hack since for me 5 seconds is more than enough and the rest of the novelties are not very noticeable in my case.

But without a doubt, Aqara has done a great job and now many people will be able to acquire a quality sensor with all the necessary functions without hacking.

I am happy that they have a better offering, but wouldn’t say they did a great job. Implementation of those Aqara devices rarely follow zigbee standard completely (i.e. claiming zigbee compatible, but in reality only partially…), and as such leaving the zigbee communities to figure those “issues” out.

This one (P1) is no different. A quick search I have found these, and I hope they got addressed soon:

These Aqara sensors might be different - they state they are “zigbee 3.0”. I would be interested in hearing first hand from anyone using them though before buying any, but it seems like a move in the right direction.

FYI, ZHA just recieved support for Aqara P1 and developer is also working on Aqara FP1 support, see:

and

Both of those depend on quirks added to the latest ZHA Device Handlers library, see:

and

1 Like

FYI, Tuya also has several “Zigbee Human Presence Detector” using similar microwave/millimeter wave motion sensor technology.

These are used for either smart human body presence (a.k.a. occupancy/vacancy detection), breathing sensor, or fall-down sensor.

See example Tuya product models: MSA050-Z1, MIR-HE200-ZB, MYQ-ZHFD02, MSA042D-Z1, MSA035-Z1, and MYQ-ZHFD01:

https://expo.tuya.com/smart/sensors/infrared-sensor/occupancy---vacancy-sensor/CT9cn94ki9rh36-CT9cn9la1lzi8j-CT9cndvh3x4xle

https://expo.tuya.com/product/842246

https://expo.tuya.com/product/952001

https://expo.tuya.com/product/1031059

https://expo.tuya.com/product/902056

https://expo.tuya.com/product/804011

https://expo.tuya.com/product/1031058

PS: Note that those are listed for global worldwide sale, unlike this competing Aqara FP1 product.

1 Like

I bought Aqara P1 and it reported everything well, although I have to say that the results have been very bad, it only detects when I am about 10 centimeters away, it also has a reaction time of half a second while its previous model is instantaneous.

Another problem that I discovered with the previous hacked aqara sensor is that after 15 seconds it shows a false positive, so the minimum time in my case should be 16 seconds to avoid the false positive.

maybe the best idea is to use presence sensors like aqara fp1 and i hope they fix the problem of aqara p1 with some firmware update, for now i will return it to amazon, because if it only works at 10cm, it is a nice paperweight.

UPDATE:

@jonatanpradasn did you end up getting the P1 working any better or did you send it back. I’m having a tough time getting the sensor to work as well as the Kasa Motion Switch I was attempting to replace.

Mine was having issues as well. returned to amazon and got a replacement. This one seems to be working perfectly now. Maybe hardware is just hit or miss…

1 Like

Interesting, maybe I’ll have to put in a request for a replacement then.

Yea it was so frustrating and now its just working perfectly. I am actually thinking about buying a few more next time thye are on sale.

@jsdphilly where do you have your sensor placed in the room in relation to where movement would be? Also how do you have you automation setup, if you are using it to turn a light on/off?

I’m trying to get this working so that when someone enters the room it turns the light on and then doesn’t turn the light off on someone if they are still in the room, but turn the light off after some time of inactivity.

Here is what my automation looks like now but I’m still having challenges it seems.

alias: Jacob's Room Motion Light
description: ""
trigger:
  - type: motion
    platform: device
    device_id: nnnn
    entity_id: binary_sensor.jacob_s_room_motion_sensor_occupancy
    domain: binary_sensor
    id: occupancy-detected
  - type: no_motion
    platform: device
    device_id: nnnn
    entity_id: binary_sensor.jacob_s_room_motion_sensor_occupancy
    domain: binary_sensor
    id: occupancy-cleared
condition:
  - condition: time
    before: "19:45:00"
    after: "08:00:00"
action:
  - choose:
      - conditions:
          - condition: trigger
            id: occupancy-detected
        sequence:
          - type: turn_on
            device_id: xxxx
            entity_id: light.jacob_s_room_light_switch
            domain: light
      - conditions:
          - condition: trigger
            id: occupancy-cleared
        sequence:
          - delay:
              hours: 0
              minutes: 15
              seconds: 0
              milliseconds: 0
          - type: turn_off
            device_id: xxxx
            entity_id: light.jacob_s_room_light_switch
            domain: light
    default: []
mode: restart

The TP-Link Kasa Smart Motion Switch that is just replaced seemed to just sort of work, so I’m trying to replicate it’s behavior.

I have the motion sensor in the top corner of the room, facing down at an angle.

What issues is your automation having? Is it not turning the light on when someone walks in the room or is the issue with the light turning off after periods of no activity?

My issue is the light turning off on people. If someone is sitting on the bed which is diagonally from the doorway(and motion sensor) the motion sensor isn’t detecting motion to keep the light on. I basically needed to add a 15 minute delay to turning the light off when occupancy/motion goes to clear so as not to and up turning the light off on someone. I’m hoping that 15 minutes works, but it still seems that if someone is sitting on the bed after 15 minutes they will be in the dark and have to get up and move towards the door to get the lights to automatically turn back on.

The bed is a bunk bed with a larger lower bed. I ended up moving the motion sensor to the top corner of the door frame in the hopes that it being lower might help the range. The previous motion switch didn’t seem to have this problem.

Honestly. Reliable presence detection in a room is one of those things that is dependent on soo many things…I swear I can have a PIR based presence setup work perfect one day and not at all the next day. They do seem to work flawlessly for detecting entrance into a room or hallway.

As an example, in my daughters bed room, I use a motion sensor because all I really care about it putting lights on the hallway on if she gets up in the middle of the night.

On the other hand, in my bedroom, I have an ESPresence chip behind the headboard, a motion sensor in the corner and automations which use our phone charging status to determine if the room is occupied and by who.

Have you considered checking out the mmWave sensors like the FP1 or a DIY setup? I have one in the living room which seems to be working great but its a struggle in the bedroms because of the ceiling fans.

Yeah, I’ve wondered if I’m going to need to add an mmWave device. I’m going to need to watch through the video from Everything Smart Home and see about going this route. I haven’t seen the FP1 available in the U.S. yet so a DIY might be the way to go.

I got mine off of AliExpress. Seems there are a lot a available these days. ESH sensor does look great. One of those I’m each bedroom would be amazing

Ah, OK, yeah I was wondering about AliExpress and took a look and they are available there. Though $50 is a bit steep so I may just see what is acceptable with the P1 setup for now. The DIY solution requires something like ESPHome, which I haven’t even tried, and connects via WiFi which I’ve been trying to stay away from. I only have a RPi 3b so not sure I want to attempt adding ESPHome onto for stability.

This seems to be the thread to follow for the ESPHome based mmWave DIY project.

1 Like

it seems that after re-adding several times it works instantly