Anyone have experience of this issue

My configuration keeps throwing up this error message when restarting, I have disabled each package where automations exist to try and isolate the cause, none of them resulted in the error going away.
The error in the logs is:

Logger: homeassistant.config
Source: config.py:415
First occurred: 1:48:45 PM (2 occurrences)
Last logged: 1:48:45 PM

• Invalid config for [automation]: [data] is an invalid option for [automation]. Check: automation->action->0->data. (See ?, line ?).
  • Invalid config for [automation]: [event] is an invalid option for [automation]. Check: automation->event. (See ?, line ?).

As far as I can tell none of my automations is failing so its really only bugging me that it exists at all.
It has been there for at least two updates to home assistant and I am currently running 2021.1.5

Many thanks

Any chance you show the automation’s yaml to us?

Hi, unfortunately, a bit difficult. The automation is split across 10 package files, each one for a specific area e.g. lights, security etc. Each of the files was removed from the packages folder to try and isolate where the problem may originate. None resolved the error.

it looks to me you have some yaml that reads like below which it does not like.

action:
    data:

And you did reload automations or reboot HA after removing them?

1 Like

Ha - and in my case, saving the file I just edited to make a change helps, too. I don’t know how many times I couldn’t figure something out only to (finally) find that I didn’t save the darn file… And I’ve been bitten by the “forgot to reload the automations” bug, too…

1 Like

Full reboot of HA

Yeah, it was my thought to, hence i removed each of the packages to try and isolate which package the issue was in.

That’s impossible, then you did not catch all of them or did not reload automations after removing them.

I’d start to look for an automation that has event: in it on the same indentation level as trigger/condition/action

Thanks, I have already started reviewing each package as I came to the same conclusion. sigh!

Shouldn’t be too hard, uncomment automation section, reload automations, error gone -> that’s the package, error still there go to next package.

thanks, will do