Aoycocr BR30 + Tasmota/ESPHome

I recently bought a 4 pack of the Aoycocr BR30 bulbs and use tuya-convert to flash them with Tasmota.

Ultimately I’ll move them to ESPHome, but so far I’m still stuck trying to figure out the right GPIO combinations to use.

As part of their FCC filing there are some pictures. Apparently the bulb is manufactured as Q10CWM smart bulb from “Shenzhen Hysiry Technology Co. Ltd”, but sold in the US under the brand “Aoycocr”.

I currently set it to:

D1 GPIO5 -> PWM1 (37)
D8 GPIO15 -> PWM2 (38)

This gives me 2 sliders in Tasmota:
Cold <—> Warm
and
Dark <—> Bright

The Cold/Warm one will cycle from Blue to Red
The Dark/Bright one does indeed dim the bulb.

Things that I am not 100% sure about:

• Should this bulb also have a cold white + warm white LED aside from the colors? Would that be a separate LED driver?
    If you look at the attached photo from their FCC filing, it does look like it?

• How would I be able to figure that out?

Ok, so far I have the RGB going:

I am not 100% I haven’t really found a separate warm/cold white.

output:
  - platform: esp8266_pwm
    id: output_red
    pin: GPIO14
    id: output_green
    pin: GPIO12
    id: output_blue
    pin: GPIO5
    id: output_white
    pin: GPIO15

light:
  - platform: rgb
    name: aoycocr_br30_01
    red: output_red
    green: output_green
    blue: output_blue

I can’t quite tell from the blurry picture, but it looks like the 8 pins from the control board to the LED disc are +B +R +G +A on the top and -B -R -G -A on the bottom, which would be positive to and negative back from Red, Green, Blue, and some kind of White (the yellow squares are definitely some kind of while), you have a 4 channel bulb.

I suggest more testing with Tasmota, using Relay1-8 on each pin and noting what each “relay” does to find the pins for each color.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s what it seems like.

I can control R / G / B and some sort of white. I was hoping for warm white / cold white somehow since the packaging mentions "Color Temperature: “2700-9000k+RGB”
They also have options for “2700K + RGB” and “2700 - 6500K”, but those aren’t the ones I supposedely bought :slight_smile:

I am able to dim the white up/down, but I was wondering if there’s some separate LED driver for the “white” that would somehow modulate the temperature that I might be missing?

Don’t think that is possible with the pins they have there. Only 4 channels, so only one kind of white.

I wonder if their packaging temperatures just mean “we have one white white and you can add a red or blue LED to it”

More likely “we checked the wrong box on this generic packaging”. The bulb you got fits the “2700K+RGB” description. “2700-9000K+RGB” would be dual-white like you wanted. I’d complain and return them.

Any that you haven’t converted yet and can see how they act in the original Tuya app? Do they have white temperature control there?

the bulbs themselves also have a printed “2700-9000K +RGB” on them. I’ll ask and see what they say :slight_smile:

I’d carefully pop the top off of one and confirm the FCC pics are what you actually have, and confirm that setting those 4 GPIOs as Relay 1-4 actually light up each set of chips how you think (Red turns on all the red chips, Blue all the blue, Green all the green, and White all the yellow-phosphored ones) to make sure you aren’t missing any somehow. The top should be able to snap back on usually (with or without some superglue to keep it secure).

Popped it open quickly and took a few pictures. Still have to do the testing to see what lights up.
I couldn’t get a good picture or just the ESP area, but maybe that’s a good start. I’ll take another one with a bit better lighting if necessary.

Imgur link (higher quality I think): https://imgur.com/a/smGagZf

1 Like

@rlowens Anything on these that could explain why I can’t find more than a single white GPIO that I can dim via PWM?

And here’s the GPIOs:

Definitely looks like single-colour white with cold/warm being determined by adding extra from the red/blue LEDs

To truly test this, you could open a stock-firmware bulb and then use their app to adjust colour temps and watch what the bulb does.

Hi Mark, I have the same bulbs and when running stock firmware and the TUYA AP the white is adjustable from warm 2700K to white 9000K. I have flashed the bulb and with your settings I also have no control over the white setting. Did you ever get this working (adjustable white)?

After changing the light platform to “RGBW” (the example YAML file above only had “RGB”) I now have control over the “white” channel (this is a warm white). As Joshfindit above stated the change from warm to cool white with the stock firmware and TUYA ap is obtained by adding red and blue to the warm white LEDs.

Still doesn’t work correctly with ESPHome/HA. Using the “W” slider you can adjust the level of the warm white LEDs, however all of the RGB LED’s remain lit at all times (you can’t just have warm white LEDs illuminated). You can adjust the brightness of the RGB and warm white LEDs with the slider (all controlled at the same time).

The other issue is that if you adjust the brightness slider above 225ish the warm white LEDs turn OFF (or almost OFF)?

So close, however, it looks like this bulb is going back into the TUYA cloud.

Here is the YAML file that I used for the above results:

esphome:
  name: "redacted"
  platform: ESP8266
  board: esp01_1m

wifi:
  ssid: "redacted"
  password: "redacted"

# Enable fallback hotspot (captive portal) in case wifi connection fails
  ap:
    ssid: "redacted"
    password: "redacted"

captive_portal:

# Enable logging
logger:

# Enable Home Assistant API
api:

ota:

output:
    id: output_red
    pin: GPIO14
    id: output_green
    pin: GPIO12
    id: output_blue
    pin: GPIO5
    id: output_white
    pin: GPIO15

light:
  - platform: rgbw
    name: "redacted"
    id: lights
    red: output_red
    green: output_green
    blue: output_blue
    white: output_white
    # Ensure the light turns on by default if the physical switch is actuated.
    restore_mode: ALWAYS_ON

Ultimately I could get it to work like that, but I really didn’t like the cold white + red mixture.
I’ll probably replace them at some point for proper cold white + warm white bulbs and until then I rum them as RGB

That is too bad. The colors and “blended white” with the stock firmware and the TUYA ap look pretty good. The whites are a lot brighter than the RGB portion of the bulb so just using the RGB isn’t really an option for me.
I think I will flash them with Tasmota and see if I have any better luck. There appears to be more options than in ESPHome.

1 Like