📳 Appliance Notifications & Actions - Washing Machine - Clothes Dryer - Dish Washer - ETC

Using a slightly older large capacity Maytag HE washing machine and I’m using approx. 0.22 Kwh per normal load. Light cycles are about half that.

1 Like

Thank you both. Our rate is 10.263 cents per kilowatt-hour.

I’ll probably try another plug for comparison, but it seems possible it is that low, just surprising I guess.

@Cake1468

No problem, please check it over and if you find anything wrong let us know.

It is good having the ability to find out what things cost and then we can make decisions on how we use electricity. It is always a good idea to check automation like this with another source. Kettles, microwaves, hot water systems, electric stoves and cook tops etc are the hungry ones.

Blacky :smiley:

1 Like

Hi @Blacky
Thank you for this automation, it has everything i need and more.

Unfortunately i’m experiencing an issue with it, when the appliance ends i get no notification.

When checking the traces i see the following recurring error:
Error rendering data template: TypeError: unhashable type: 'list'
I was unable to find anything regarding this in this topic, after checking the script i see one mention of list which is the days it should restrict the automation from running, however, i have this disabled.

Are there any more troubleshooting steps i can follow?

The entire error might be helpful to troubleshoot.
It should have more info than that regarding where the error occurred.

Hi @Sir_Goodenough, the trace looks like this, is there any specific tab you want to see?
The list error occurs on 3 points in the automation, other than a choice: 0 or choice: 1 its not much more descriptive than this screenshot.

Hey @Blacky, is there a reason that entering a decimal value into the Kw threshold fields results in a red underline rather than blue? I thought at first that it represented a non-supported format but tried it anyways. It does save the decimal value to the file and the automation does in fact respect the value, which is fantastic. My washing machine liks to idle down to 1.8 Kw occasionally for minutes while it considers what to do next, but sits at 1.1-1.2 kw when entirely finished, so I needed 1.5 Kw.

Kind of left me scratching my head as to why it would go red which normally represents an error.

@jonathang

Could you please provide us your YAML of the automation? This YAML code are the settings you have selected in the automation so I can help. To do this go into your automation, top right 3 dots, Edit in YAML, copy all the code, come back to the forum and in your reply at the top tool bar click on “</>” and paste code in there.

@RickFurtado

The red line is because your outside the values I have set as default. All good nothing to worry about just click save. When you go back into the automation the red line will be gone.

Thank you for the reply.
This is the config:

alias: Washing Machine
description: ""
use_blueprint:
  path: Blackshome/appliance-notifications.yaml
  input:
    power_sensor: sensor.washing_machine_outlet_power
    start_appliance_power: 3
    start_time_delay: 0.25
    running_dead_zone: 1
    end_appliance_power: 2
    end_notify_device:
      - 52929393b9eeef75812de0f3d040aaa1
      - 38e080d3e211e101a7d5cb3966d1b107
    end_message: Finished running
    include_power_tracking: enable_power_tracking
    power_consumption_sensor: sensor.washing_machine_outlet_energy
    include_end_notify: enable_end_notify_options
    include_duration_tracking: enable_duration_tracking
    end_time_delay: 0.25

@jonathang

Thanks Jonathan for your YAML.

You have Enable - End Notify Power Consumption Tracking but you haven’t input the 3 number helpers.

1. Power Tracking - Cost per kWh
  2. Power Tracking - Start Number Helper
  3. Power Tracking - End Number Helper

You can disable this option or add the helpers. If you are unsure how to create these helpers then it is in the FAQ, click here

Let us know how you go.

Oh damn, i did read it but somehow figured i didn’t need to… silly me.

Appreciate it, it works like a charm now!

1 Like

Nice one, glad you are up and running and thanks for letting us know :+1:

Hi,
the pproblem is, with the senson in the machine 1 cycle can be everythink from 1h - 4,45h. but has always 2 heating peaks

@Grandman

I will put it on the list of suggestions.

1 Like

@Grandman

Just having a look at this. I need a bit more information.

1. What is the appliance that takes 4:45h?
  2. Can you provide a nice zoom up of the cycles like a long one and a short one?
  3. Do we need peaks or will dips work?
  4. Can the peaks and or dips be the same value?

Is anyone else finding they need more than 1 dip and or peak and can you provide some information so we can get a general feedback and try to get it right.

New Update 2.1

:warning: You must be on Home Assistant version 2024.6 or later. If your unable to download the blueprint you must be on Home Assistant version 2024.6 or later. Please update your version of Home Assistant before you update or install this blueprint.

New Feature :new:

• Collapsible Sections - Blueprints can now have collapsible sections, but you must be on Home Assistant version 2024.6 or later. If your automations break, simply update Home Assistant to the latest version to resolve the issue.

• End - Repeat Count - In ‘Power Settings,’ you will find a new input called ‘End - Repeat Count.’ If you notice that during your appliance’s cycle, the power drops below your ‘End - Appliance Power Setpoint’ a few times, you can now specify how many times this should happen before your end notification message is triggered.

• Watchdog Notification - This feature keeps an eye on your appliance to ensure it completes its task within the set time frame. When enabled, if the appliance fails to complete its task, the automation will time out and send a notification to alert you of a potential issue. This helps in promptly addressing any possible problems with the appliance.

• Watchdog Custom Action - You can now also set a custom action for the new watchdog feature.

Maintenance :toolbox:

• Updated descriptions.

Bugs Fixed :bug:

• Fixed time condition: Previously, if an appliance started within the specified time frame but ended outside of it, you would still receive an end notification or end actions. Now, you will not receive the notification or actions if the appliance ends outside the specified time frame after it has started.

If you like this blueprint? Consider hitting the :heart: button in the top post :+1:

If you like my blueprints, and would like to show your support or just say thank you? Click Here :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Enjoy

Blacky :grinning:

4 Likes

Slick…
Very Slick!

1 Like

I can’t get this blueprint working somehow. I filled it in correctly. I also filled in the notify start and end. Somehow it is not triggered. Could it have something to do with the fact that my power plug updates every 10 seconds?

@Blacky thanks for the watchdog!! :slight_smile: