📳 Appliance Notifications & Actions - Washing Machine - Clothes Dryer - Dish Washer - ETC

@RonnieLast

O okay, another one of the community ask for this similar thing as I can see it on my list. What about cost?

Blacky :smiley:

Any chance of allowing this to be used with a vibration sensor rather than a power monitor? My dryer uses a 240v plug like my oven, and I can’t find any power monitoring plugs that work with it. I looked into CT clamp sensors, but… :face_with_spiral_eyes: I don’t have the time currently to wrap my mind around that. So I just slapped a vibration sensor on it.

@realcanadrian

Thanks for your suggestion I will put it on the list. Currently the development is focused on power.

1 Like

Hi again, I’m 50/50 whether that’s as beneficial as just being able to see the kWh consumption to be honest but cost could be important to some people.
It’s a very simple calculation to perform if the energy calculation is reported in kWh, you just multiply the kWh valve by the price per unit. Example: 1kWh of electricity = 0.30c, then consuming 4.5kWh during an appliance session would be 1.35, etc.

@RonnieLast

I think you will like the next release. Stay tuned.

EDIT: Hope you like the update, would you be so kind to test it and let us know how it goes. Thanks.

1 Like

FAQ - How to create a number helper

Required: We use number helpers to record the start and end kWh of your current sensor. This must be a completely independent number helper. One for the start and one for the end. Below shows you how to create a number helper and the settings.

Optional: We also use a number helper for your electricity rate, as you may use it in more than one automation. If your rate changes, you can adjust all your automatons in one location through the UI. If you are not using the cost feature then you don’t need to create this helper.

How to create a number helper:

1. Go to Settings > Devices & Services > click on the “Helpers” tab / click “+ CREATE HELPER” and select “Number”.

2. Enter in the name you would like to call your number helper and select an icon if you like.

• Change the min / max = For start and end number helpers you have to set the max to a higer value than you will ever have. I recommend setting it to 10 million (10,000,000 that is 7 zeros). If you need to set it higher then just keep adding zeros. For electricity rate see below for the settings I used.
    • Display mode = I am not using it as a slider in the UI so I selected ‘Input field’.
    • Step size = recommend you set it to ‘0.01’

3. Your done. Now just add the number helper into your automation correct input.

Below is an example of my Electricity Rate number helper.

Electricity Rate in the UI

Enjoy

Back to FAQ: Click Here

New Update 1.8

New Feature :new:

• Power Tracking Option - This feature can include power information in your end notify message, or you can choose to only update the start and end helpers for use in your custom actions. The end notify options are to receive either the total kWh used in the cycle or the total kWh used along with an estimated cost for the cycle

Maintenance :toolbox:

• Update to my new layout.
  • We have updated a lot of input descriptions to better help understand what they do.

If you like this blueprint? Consider hitting the :heart: button in the top post :+1:

If you like my blueprints, and would like to show your support or just say thank you? Click Here :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Enjoy

Blacky :grinning:

1 Like

Hello, I like the look of this automation. I am using a simple one for my washer and dryer at the moment. I would like to try this, but my current dryer automation is triggered by an exhaust temp sensor i built. Your blueprint appears to look for power. Would a temperature sensor entity be compatible with your blueprint?

Love this ! thanks

An option to continue flashing or flash “x” minutes/times or Flash Until [entity pressed] would be a great addition ? thanks Blacky !

@wildfire305

I would say YES and the watts will be your temp sensor reading. So your ‘Start - Appliance Power Setpoint’ and your ‘End - Appliance Power Setpoint’ will be the temp reading. Obviously you will not be able to use ‘*The Power Tracking Option *’.

Let us know how you go.

@Mckrick

No problem, your welcome.

Not 100% sure what you saying but if it is a light to flash when start of finished then you can use the custom actions.

Thanks for reply
The current version stops flashing (long) after just 12 flashes so if you are out side or away from home for an hour or so you don’t see it flash -

So an additional option /should be great

flash… XX times
or… for X minutes
or …. until (eg) entity / button pressed

Hi. Only 3 days in to my Home Assistant journey so forgive me if this question is obvious :smiley:
I have set up my washer and drier with the blueprint and it seems to be working great.
The thing is that i would like to have the status (Ready, Running, Finished) in a card. How can I make this happen? I would guess I need an entity with this?

Also, is it possible to add a magnetic sensor for the doors so that it is possible to track Finished/Emptied?

Thanks for the great blueprint by the way :smiley:

@zephyr22

It does not have a status (Ready, Running, Finished) and it works of power consumption for when it is finished. Currently is does not have the ability for a magnetic sensor but I will put it on the list.

Hi Blacky, many thanks for the update with the power monitoring and cost. I have it working here now and it’s fantastic. Well done!

Just some feedback - The three number helpers required by the blueprint were initially unclear to me - I initially thought that I could just specify a “Cost per kWh” and ignore both “Power Tracking - Start Number Helper” and “Power Tracking - End Number Helper”, but the notification didn’t work when I did this.
I’d suggest that you add in a piece of text to help explain the requirement for all three. It’s actually a pity that these number helpers can’t be dynamically created by the blueprint… perhaps something to pass onto the HA dev team?

Also you probably need to specify that the Power Tracking Start and End number helpers should be configured with sufficient size to take the kWh values from the power sensor. In one example that I’m looking at I already have 27,852.31 kWh on the power sensor, so if I had created an undersized number helper with a smaller maximum value then it would probably have caused an error in the script at runtime.
I’d suggest 1,000,000 as a maximum value.
Also the step size in the number helper should be around 0.01 so that it doesn’t round-down the kWh value.
Here’s one of my number helpers as an example:

Or… Is the BP app capable of this alreday and I am missing something ? thanks

@zephyr22 I implemented this using a boolean helper job_cycle that I set in the custom actions for start and finish.

custom actions in the blueprint

start_custom_actions:
      - service: script.trockner_actions
        data:
          action: start
    end_custom_actions:
      - service: script.trockner_actions
        data:
          action: finish

the script

alias: Trockner - Actions
sequence:
  - choose:
      - conditions:
          - condition: template
            value_template: "{{ action == 'start' }}"
            alias: "Action: start"
        sequence:
          - service: input_datetime.set_datetime
            data:
              timestamp: "{{ now().timestamp() }}"
            target:
              entity_id: input_datetime.dryer_1lt_start
          - service: input_boolean.turn_on
            target:
              entity_id: input_boolean.dryer_job_cycle
            data: {}
      - conditions:
          - condition: template
            value_template: "{{ action == 'finish' }}"
        sequence:
            target:
              entity_id:
                - input_boolean.dryer_is_ready
          - service: input_boolean.turn_off
            target:
              entity_id: input_boolean.dryer_job_cycle
            target:
              entity_id: input_boolean.dryer_finished
        alias: "Action: finish"
mode: single
fields:
  action:
    selector:
      text: null
    name: Action
    description: "AuszufĂźhrende Aktion: start, finish"
    required: true

to display appliances in my dashboards I use the decluttering card
template

decluttering_templates:
  appliance_template:
    card:
      type: custom:mushroom-template-card
      primary: '[[primary]]'
      icon: >
        {% if is_state('[[status_indicator]]', 'off') and is_state('[[switch]]',
        'on')%}
          [[icon_off]]
        {% endif %} 

{% if is_state('[[status_indicator]]', 'on') and is_state('[[switch]]',
        'on') %}
          [[icon_on]]
        {% endif %}

'off')%}
          [[icon_off]]
        {% endif %} 
      entity: '[[switch]]'
      secondary: |
        {{ states('[[power]]') }} W
          {% if is_state('[[status_indicator]]', 'on') %}
            / {{ states('[[elapsed_time]]')}}
          {% endif %}
      icon_color: >-
        'on')%}
          green
        {% endif %}  {% if is_state('[[status_indicator]]', 'on') and
        is_state('[[switch]]', 'on') %}
          red
        {% endif %}
      tap_action:
        action: none
      hold_action:
        action: toggle

card for my dryer

type: custom:decluttering-card
template: appliance_template
variables:
  - primary: Trockner
  - switch: switch.switch_1lt_socket
  - status_indicator: input_boolean.dryer_job_cycle
  - power: sensor.switch_1lt_power
  - icon_off: mdi:washing-machine-off
  - icon_on: mdi:washing-machine
  - elapsed_time: sensor.dryer_1lt_elapsed_time

grafik
grafik
grafik

1 Like

@RonnieLast

No problem thanks for the update.

Agree, thanks for the feedback. Click Here

I will provide some of my toughs through the development.

Cost number helper. I initially used an input but if you had multiple automation you would have to go into each automation every time your rate changed so having the rate in one number helper allows you to easily adjust and keep track in one spot. You can also use this in other automatons.

Start & End number helpers, allows you to use it in custom actions and you may also decide to utilize it somewhere else in your HA, add it to a dashboard or see history etc

Glad you are up and running and thanks for your feedback.

@Mckrick

Sorry I am just not sure of what your are trying to do.

Thanks
Seeking to have some control over how long the flashing light option runs for.

Presently it only flashes 12 times … then stops

So if you are not present when it flashes … you are unaware that it has finished the wash

Many thanks for your patience blacky