Aqara M2 gateway support

hi there is it possible for Aqara M2 gateway to get home assistant support?

Looks like the Aqara integration already supports it.

Hi Andrew,

Would you be able to share how it can be done?

Right now, the Xiaomi Aqara integration is not working for my M2 hub.

1 Like

Mmm, good question - my M2 hub has just arrived and isn’t seen by the integration either :frowning:

The documentation suggests that I will have to open up the box, although there is no obvious way of doing that.

Andrew

Hi.

Got mine a few days back. This is an EU unit that was set to others in the region field. When I am adding the M2 using a new integration, although I type the IP address and/or the MAC address, HA fails to see the unit and gives me the following error:
Invalid hostname or IP address, see

Blockquote
Preformatted text’'Xiaomi Gateway (Aqara) - Home Assistant

The IP address is OK.
Anyone has an idea?

1 Like

Having the same issue. Just got the M2 hub, and cannot get it into HA.

Ideally, I wish there was a native integration, maybe in the future.

In the meantime, thinking it could be done via the HomeKit Controller, but I cannot get the M2 to be found in the setup of the integration. Any ideas?

Hi, does anyone have added the M2 to HA? I only can add the M2 via the HomeKit Controller…

Same here except an option to add sensor through IFTTT Aqara EU or US and webhooks. The only problem is that it will cost you as IFTTT allows you to add only 3 applets fr free. 4 and up needs Pro subscription. A pity no one solved the issue.

Hi any news on this ?
I have the M2 Europe and the same problem
Maybe it’s a version problem ?
Ha: 2021.8.7

add
Just did the update to the version 2021.9.7 and the xiaomi aqara gateway still send the same error message

1 Like

The only thing i could come up with for the moment is to use the HomeKit accessories.
To set it up, just reset the hub by pressing the button 10sec. Light will go yellow (at least in my case) and now it will show in Home Assistant possible integrations.

But unfortunately the remote used with the hub (tv, …) is not available with the homekit integration. Or maybe i’m doing something wrong

is there a guide or video explaining how to open telnet on gateway m2? Thank you

1 Like

Please note that Aquara M2 is not a Xiaomi product so it shouldn’t work with Xiaomi HA integration.
The M2 is a full Aquara product even if Xiaomi China group is a minority owner of the Aquara company

1 Like

To make the Aqara Gateway / Hub (G2H, M1S CN, P3 CN, M2 CN, H1 CN, E1 CN) work with homeassistant, telnet must be enabled on the gateway.
To do this you need to flash a custom firmware. To flash it:

• Buy a UART-USB adapter.
  • Download the exe available on the github page.
  • Open the case and solder pins on these test points of the Aquara M2 PCB (indicated with TX-RX-GND at the bottom of the image).

• At that point with simple jumpers connect the RX-TX-GND of the PCB to the TX-RX-GND UART-USB adapter.
  • Start the exe, choose M2 gateway and UART-USB adapter COM port and flash it.

Then just download the Aqara Gateway integration from homeassistant and it’s done.

Source: niceboygithub repo

2 Likes

You must open telnet and change firmware to custom/
But it’s not work on euro versions.

You mast change firmware to custom.

is there a way to support it natively ? I don’t want to flash the firmware and either way i can’t with the eu vesrion
I’m currently using the homekit integration but the IR is not supported.

1 Like

Also bought the M2 for zigbee hub, but also for the IR blaster. should have read this thread earlier…

would be great if the remote could be accessed from within home assistant without flashing the firmware (on EU models)

1 Like

I am seeing mixed answers across the forum. Just want to make sure my understanding is correct before I purchase the M2 hub. Am I correct that the M2 is NOT directly compatible with HA, but you CAN add it using the HomeKit Controller integration?

Yes you can, I have added it as a homekit controller and it has been very stable, no issues at all.

4 Likes

Thanks @kerori ! My M2 arrived today, with a bunch of water leak sensors. I have the hub paired with HA using HomeKit Controller. But now I’m not sure how to pair the sensors. I can’t use the Aqara app because it thinks I am using “real” HomeKit. Any idea how to pair these?

EDIT: I figured it out. For anyone else who might be looking for this answer, press the button on the M2 3 times to put it into pairing mode. Then - this part isn’t super obvious - Press and hold the water drop icon on the sensor until it flashes. It will then pair.

2 Likes