Aqara M2 gateway support

Does anyone know how to open the M2 gateway so it can be flashed?

1 Like

Can you also use the IR function on M2 Hub within HomeKit Controller on HA?

No, the IR functionality is not exposed to HomeKit.

Hello! Can you please tell me how did you pair it with homekit controller? Mine does not find the hub.

@_Mike @kerori I just got my M2 hub today and I canā€™t figure out how to get it paired via HomeKit Controller. Here are the steps Iā€™m performing:

1. Reset the M2 hub (hold down button for 10 seconds until flashing yellow light).
  2. Open Home app on iPhone > + button > Add Accessory
  3. Scan the code on the M2 hub.
  4. Add to Home (assign to room, etc.)
  5. Go to the bridge settings in Home and click ā€œRemove Bridge from Homeā€
  6. Go to my Home Assistant integrations page.
  7. Click Add Integration > HomeKit Controller
  8. I immediately get the message ā€œAborted. No unpaired devices could be found.ā€

Am I missing a step somewhere? I have never used HomeKit before now. Is it a prerequisite that I have HomeKit set up in HomeAssistant somewhere? Do I need to do anything with the Aqara app? Do I need any special hardware on my HomeAssistant box to talk to it (I donā€™t have a zigbee stick or anything)?

More info: Iā€™m on Home Assistant 2022.3.5. I am running it on a raspberry pi inside docker.

3 Likes

I dont know why you use Home app, i only use Aqara app, and im on Android ā€¦ and i think anyway that you should have skipped 5. above
And before this ā€¦ you should restart your HA, after installing an integration ā€¦ so try with this step first, if no luck, add the M2 back to your app, Home or Aqara appText

You use Home app to work with Apple HomeKit.

ok, thou im on android phone, so i used aqara app, in homekit-controller , as soonerfan, mention he is trying to add it to

@soonerfan237 Steps 2-5 are necessary for many HomeKit devices, to get them added to your network. Once a device is on your network, it should be discoverable by HomeKit controller as long as it is not already paired.

But Iā€™m not sure if that is needed for the M2 hub. Is your hub connected to your network via wifi or ethernet? Mine is using ethernet, so I didnā€™t need any of the additional steps to get it onto my network. If you are hard wired, I would try resetting the M2 again and this time going straight to step 6. I THINK that should work. I canā€™t remember now if I had to do something within the Aqara app. I feel like maybe I had to do something to put it into HomeKit mode but Iā€™m not certain.

Hopefully this was somewhat helpful! Good luck, and let us know if you get it to work!

Just wanted to add on here that a combination of two things fixed my connection issue.

1. I switched to HomeAssistant OS installed on my raspberry pi. Previously I was running it on my Pi in a docker container.
  2. I connected the M2 hub directly to ethernet.

Neither of these changes individually fixed the issue, but after both changes it now works.

1 Like

I donā€™t see how switching to HA OS vs docker would make a difference. Mine is in docker and has always worked. I think the real solution for you was connecting the M2 via ethernet. But regardless, Iā€™m glad you got it working!

I still have my old docker install around. After plugging the M2 hub into ethernet I tested connecting to either my HA OS install and my docker install multiple times. Resetting the hub between each attempt. My docker install was never able to find it, but the OS always found it right away.

Iā€™m guessing itā€™s due to some obscure combination of install settings and network settings or something, but I donā€™t know enough about it to narrow down exactly what was wrong in my docker install.

One other variable that was different: the raspberry pi with the docker install was connected to the network via Wifi. The OS install was directly connected to the same network via ethernet.

Got a M2 hub and wanted to flash the firmware. But the pcb looks completely different, even the pins are exposed as in the example.

Is this because of the EU version? Can I flash it anyway?

According to GitHub - niceboygithub/AqaraM1SM2fw: Aqara Gateway M1S (ZHWG15LM) , P3(KTBL12LM), H1(QBCZWG11LM), M2 (ZHWG12LM) Firmwares

Aqara Gateway M1S (ZHWG15LM) M2 (ZHWG12LM) P3 (KTBL12LM) H1 (QBCZWG11LM) Firmwares

Notice: These modified firmwares do NOT support EU version.

this is so far latest info.

Just to clarify, you were able to add it to home assistant without first adding it to another homekit network first? Just go to home assistant integrations and add it as a homekit controller?

Yes, you need below integration

Then add your Aqara M2

Edit: As mentioned, i have my Aqara-Hub, with itā€™s devices in the Aqara-APP, and after installing above integration, i clicked the ā€œresetā€ button( on the Hub ) for about 10 seconds, and it popped up, under Integrations

PS: Be aware that there is another ā€œHomekit Integrationā€, if this one turns up, just click Ignore, as it is ā€œHomeKit Controllerā€ you have to use

3 Likes

Hello!

I dont understand how i make this integration. Can you give me some little help please?

What are you having issues with exactly?
I just attempted this integration yesterday and it worked fine according to the instructions that @boheme61 said above.

I did have to make sure that the integration was installed/updated on my HA instance before going back to the M2 hub and holding down the button in order for it to re-associate itself.

After that, everything else went perfectly. Hope this helps.

Hi,
Does this adding the M2 hub into Home Assistant making all the Zigbee components that original linked with M2, able to integrated into Home Assistant?

Thanks.

Hi All
I came to this thread to try and get my aqara hub connect to HA and I think that I am even more confused now!
I originally bought 2 aqara E1 curtain drivers hoping to add them to my zigbee network and control them without using the aqara hub. It seems thought that correctly configuring the curtain open and close positions isnā€™t possible without the aqara hub and app, so I bought the hub.
I now have the curtains correctly setup using the aqara hub and I want to add the curtains into HA. I come here and see that I am supposed to reset the hub! Surely this will remove the curtains and all the configuration that I have done. Also I would expect this to stop the app working and remove my ability to setup the curtains.
I donā€™t really know much about homekit TBH so I might be missing something here or not really getting how it is supposed to workā€¦