Aqara new people presence sensor FP2

A corner is only 90°

2 Likes

That’s my point, Tom, there would be no blind spots, as opposed to mounting in the centre of a wall where there would be 30 degrees of blindspot either side of the sensor.

I have 2 FP2s installed in the corners, but these are places where I only care about reliable presence detection, not zoning. For detection of presence in specific zones either mounting on the wall or in the corner, but with perfect 45° angling is preferred, otherwise creation of zones in the app might be nightmare. Promised update to handle corner mouning, I gues, will also cover only such case rather, that any angle…
Other limitation of corner mouning is that room might become too large… I have one such case, where wall to wall distance is 9m, but if I put FP2 in the corner, it makes corner to corner distance of ~11m, which makes opposite corner of the room not detectable, quite above declared 8m reach.

1 Like

This is one of my concerns as corner mounting does push that limit in many cases and I suppose it would mean more than one FP2 in a room to cover the whole area.

At risk of high interference… I think someone posted something about such case previosly.

1 Like

That might have been me. I had two FP2s on different sides of a room but positioned in a way that the detection cones of each included the other sensor. If two FP2s can “see” each other, they tend to generate a lot of ghosting. I had to reposition them so that the sensor fields overlapped but in such a way that the actual FP2s weren’t in the other ones detection cone.

2 Likes

Some encouraging news: this morning I had the surprise to find the Aqara iOS app updated and…real-time person positioning is working ! Yeah.
Now if they could deal with the 1.1.7 disaster…

1 Like

wish mine was working. I have IOS app version 3.2.4 and I still get no person icons and the sensor is all but useless. It had ‘learnt’ very well before the firmware update and now it is a piece of plastic stuck to my wall.

I have two sensors. One is in my bathroom and it works quite ok. Room is small and it works as a simple presence sensor. No zone detection.
Second one is in my living-room and after 1.1.7 update it is basically unusable. There is a lot of false positives and ghosting. I tried every setup. Changed monitoring sensitivity, distance of close induction. I tested it mounting on two walls or in the corner. Sometime is better sometime worse. Before 1.1.7 update it was far from perfect but it was somehow usable. Now I can’t relay on this sensor at all. Android app is also far from perfect. Sometimes it does not show detection. Light lux refreshes only when I click to see the graph. I must restart an app and load again.

Aqara should allow in app to revert an update. I would like to use previous firmware because current one makes my device unusable.

I guess we are on the same boat, my experience is identical.

Now, concerning the iOS app, I said earlier that is was finally working but after a few more hours with it, It’s not the case after all.
Something has definitely changed though, because it never worked before but now It updates in real time for a while, just after a relaunch of the app, not always, but about 1 on 2 attempts.
Unfortunately, as soon as the app goes in background, it stops updating and only a complete re-launch of the app makes it work again.

@chesterflaps The last version is 3.2.4, so you are good, but like I just said above, it’s still flaky, so I would try to restart a few times.

Just registered, not using HomeAssistant, but I have also some issues. Regarding the missing movements/icons, it helps to set the language to english. I use it in german and never saw the icons which makes it complicated to setup zones. In english the icons are there but rarely moving, but at least it helps a bit. I was in contact with Aqara support and the told me to switch the language. They are working on a fix. I did a review on Amazon, so they contacted me directly.

Since the latest firmware the sensors also recognizing my little cats and my robot vacuum which is really bad as light are turning on all the time. Secondly the sensors having issues to recognize absence. I can reset the status again and again, it does not help. Also reducing the sensitivity does not help. The sensor creates “ghosts” and they remain in the room, so lamps are not turning off at all.

Just get in contact with the support, because they need to know the issues and from my perspective, the more people reporting the issues, we will get a fix sooner than later.

Cheers,
brasax

Is it true that resetting absence status “trains” somehow the sensor? Or is it just simple “remove” all persons from zones?

What are stickers for? Are they a part of a magic AI used for presence detection in sensor itself. To be honest I don’t have any sticker on my map. Maybe I should start using them to help sensor detecting algorithm?

Before the firmware update I would say yes, it does train it but since the update it seems to have forgotten all of that training and it doesn’t seem to want to learn anymore.

I’ve commented all over Aqara’s social media and also created a ticket directly with them. They are aware there is an issue, it just all depends if they listen.

1 Like

If only they would let us roll back the firmware, I had no issues on 1.1.6

The stickers are just so you can visualize the space. They have absolutely no bearing on presence detection or training. I only used them in one of my rooms then didn’t bother after that.

Has the (lack of) sticker function been confirmed by Aqara?

That’s from the FAQ:

2 Likes

I just took the time to create an account - just to thank you and tell you how much help this was.
So many wasted hours trying to connect my FP2 to HA - even tried using my GFs iPad…
But - this odd list of instructions did the trick.

So, THANK YOU!

1 Like

Hi all,

Mine arrived over the weekend and i’ve added it to HA (I used android so had no issues) but havent’ tried anything with it yet.

It came with firmware 1.1.5 installed so now i’m in a bit of a pickle. Do i stick with 1.1.5 or update to 1.1.7? I expect i have no path to 1.1.6 and once i hit the update button i’m stick with 1.1.7

For those who’ve experienced both, what would your recommendation be?

Thanks

I’d wait for a fix to 1.1.7 before upgrading. It seemed 1.1.5 came then a day later .6 then a few days later .7 - way too fast for firmware upgrades to be fired out IMHO. Sounds like someone there put a halt on releasing updates that fast since its been quiet since and hopefully will spend time on quality control. 1.1.7 is pretty bad of an update.