Aqara new people presence sensor FP2

For other Aqara products at least, if you have a mix of devices that are with Chinese region firmware and with western region firmwares, you will have to have two separate Aqara accounts for their respective regions, and change region and log in/out between accessing/managing different region devices.

Additionally, as DuckDuck25 says, I doubt they use AWS servers for their Chinese region devices.

There is also no guarantee that it will continue to be possible to circumvent the “region lock” - perhaps they will release separate apps for the Chinese and western markets.
Buying the Chinese region version is both inconvenient and a bit of a gamble - it might not be worth the savings unless someone finds a way to flash western region firmwares onto them.

1 Like

I’m not sure if the FP2 hiccup I experienced today was HA related or not, but here’s what happened. All three of my FP2s became unavailable in HA late yesterday. However, in the Aqara app they were responsive (firmware 1.1.6). They would also ping (IPv4). However, HA was getting Homekit controller timeouts. I physically unplugged each FP2 for about 10 seconds, and then they came back online in HA. Given that this happened about the same time for all three, I think it’s a HA hiccup vs. a device issue.

Logger: homeassistant.config_entries
Source: config_entries.py:1247
First occurred: 7:40:36 AM (3 occurrences)
Last logged: 7:53:49 AM

Config entry 'Presence-Sensor-FP2-E2E3' for homekit_controller integration not ready yet: Timeout while waiting for connection to device 10.13.2.55:53388; Retrying in background
Config entry 'Presence-Sensor-FP2-E1C6' for homekit_controller integration not ready yet: Timeout while waiting for connection to device 10.13.2.86:53149; Retrying in background

I have a Chinese version, it worked out of the box for me.

I also did a packet capture on it, it’s connected to the us-west-2 region of AWS, which makes sense since I live in CA. So it definitely can use AWS, my guess is it picks the best cloud platform depending on your location.

1 Like

When is this new update. for version 1.1.7 this device is useless. Just ghosts. Other much cheaper devices work great. It’s kind of weird for a movie like this.

I dont have any FP2 and after reading all the problems I am happy with that. I have 2 EP1 from Everything smarthome and they work flawless. I can be without the zones. Only problem with them is to get your hands on them. They sell out all the time

I recall seeing the FP2 product mgr recently mentioning on reddit that an update is expected in June specifically to address the ghosting (version # greater than 1.1.7)

1.1.8 is available. Would love to know if it solves the issue so I can decide if it’s safe to update from 1.1.5

1 Like

Its not landed in the UK yet.
If it works then i’ll get the other 2 I bought out of the box and install them.

Not seeing it yet here in the US either. It’s probably on some kind of phased rollout, so I suspect people wanting to go early will just have to keep refreshing the firmware update page in the app and hope for the best.

Also, I really wish they had someone with a better understanding of English doing the translations. Everything they do reads like they hired a German to translate it from Chinese to English.

Or maybe it’s just not released yet. I think the website mentioned 28th June, so depending on the time zone, they still have a few hours. And if I remember correctly, than last 2 updates were pushed around midnight, or maybe a bit after (CEST), so if it’s something they follow, than maybe in about 3 hours we might get the upgrade finally

Nothing in UK yet.

Anyone else’s not see more than one person anymore?

Nothing in Germany either…

The fact that they just dont do a roll-back amazes me. If you break the core functionality of a product it makes sense to to this asap…

1 Like

In fact if you haven’t taken it out of the box, there’s a chance you still have the old firmware that works

1. Just checked & 1.1.8 still not avail in US. BTW - they did release an update to the ios app that says " improved real-time data refresh performance of fp2". Didn’t notice anything special in app but I did reset the device by revoking the privacy policy acceptance. This is supposed to clear data on their svr for it and lets you rerun the setup. Upon doing so I noticed the setup had been upgraded to walk you through figuring the room out and did a good job of mapping me when it says it walk from side to side - in english this meant that the app updated my icon as I walked the room. However there’s still ghosting so I’m just waiting for 1.1.8.

2- I just returned my 2nd unit to amazon as I’ve been concerned about their lack of quality control in the software + the fact that my fp2 has been constantly sending traffic to aiot-coap-usa.aqara.com + the fact their privacy policy says

“If you are not satisfied with the response you receive, you can also seek a resolution by filing a lawsuit in the court of competent jurisdiction where Green Rice is domicile.”

what kind of shop are they running there?

1. Having said that the capabilities of the hardware are impressive and I have huge hopes for them nailing it but until then I’ll stick with 1 unit in homekit/offline mode (once someone here says 1.1.8 is out I’ll re-add it back to app to get firmware update)

Probably, but I’ll wait for the latest firmware. How well the new firmware works or doesn’t work would probably influence where I decide to finally mount them.

Really sorry to raise hopes everyone. I didn’t check from my app first, and stupidly made the assumption that since there wasn’t an indication in their post, this was a global firmware release.

I’m now guessing this is a release for Chinese versions only at this time, or the firmware release was pulled, but the release notes page wasn’t updated.

3 Likes

It had 1.1.7 straight out of the box…or it updated (cant really recall). Funny thing, becasue i had just one, i decided to change my region, which removed the device from the app. After reinstalling it, on 1.1.7 still, it works.

Now the homekit controller in Home Assistant doesnt see the sensor…so that will not fly either for me.

The FP2 product support page now lists a new firmware version 1.1.9 released today, July 4. The release notes are identical to 1.1.8. Unfortunately neither 1.1.8 nor 1.1.9 are available via the app yet.

https://www.aqara.com/us/version/presence-sensor-fp2

2 Likes

Exactly the same as with me, displayed is the 1.1.7