Aqara P1 Motion Sensor

Could you please share which quirk is in use?

1 Like

I would, but I’m not sure how to get that information from zigbee2mqtt.
My “Zigbee Model” reads something similar.

Acquired a few of P1’s to replace the last gen Aqara’s. I’ve been using ZHA for integration and disappointed with the range and sensitivity level of the P1’s compared to the last version.

Confirmed that the sensitivity is also set to high, but doesn’t seem like it makes a difference.

Leaving an update. I did a bit of experimentation where I removed the sensor, factory reset it, then re-added and re-configured it, then started with a detection interval of 30 seconds and increased it by 10 seconds at a time until it would no longer Detect & Clear successfully.

60 and 70 seconds sometimes work. 80 seconds causes the sensor not to clear at all until I turn the interval back down to 30; going back down to 70 didn’t. I didn’t bother to get more precise. This is surprising, considering the advertised maximum interval of 200 seconds.

I’ve decided to keep the sensor’s detection interval at 30 seconds where it’s happy, and set 180 seconds in the ocupancy_timeout field. That’s giving me the results I want.

Is anyone else unable to change the detection interval?

I’m using the device with ZHA, paired and functioning (though the battery percentage is unknown for some reason). I am unable to change the detection interval. It’s at 30 and if I change it to anything else and navigate back to the device’s configuration page, the detection interval is back at 30.

Edit: This is odd. Repaired the device and was able to change the detection interval for a minute or two. After that, I again was unable to change this value.

When you’re trying to change values of the device itself, not just ZHA/Z2M values, I’ve found that it helps to one-tap the button on the back of the sensor. The sensor is open to changes for the first 2-5 minutes that it’s set up, according to the manual. It also blinks upon detection during that time period, even if detection indicator is turned off.

I had it work best when I open the history of whatever field I was changing, then tapped the button once before submitting my changes, then tapping the button again at a steady pulse rate to be sure I didn’t accidentally reset it, until I saw the value be accepted via new entry in the HA history.

7 Likes

That makes sense and explains why I was able to set the value in the first minute or two after repairing the device, thanks!

1 Like

Yes - That worked perfectly and saved me much messing around - Thanks

1 Like

Just to add to the limited range comments, I am in the 1.5 metres brigade

I’m in a weird position when it comes to range: I have one P1 set to Medium motion sensitivity at the top of a staircase that can see anyone crossing the bottom of the staircase, so about 15-20 feet (5-7ish meters) away, but looking down a funnel as well.

I another set to High motion sensitivity in a hallway that is a slightly wider funnel and can only see me up to 6-8 feet, falling out if I’m in the farthest portion of the hallways, working on the window that is there.

The only thing in common between my rooms where distance is an issue is that they do all have windows; now, I’m not saying this is even close to being a thing, as I’m not well-researched, but my initial thought to question whether or not light coming in through windows screws around with the sensor due to IR flooding and reading.

I am having the same issues, I am using ZHA, I can’t change the sensitivity from medium to high, there is no way to confirm the change, I set it to high, refresh the page its back to medium. Most I am getting is 1.5M in range. VERY disappointed in this product.

Can anyone share how they make the sensitivity change? Did it help?
Thanks!

Did you press shortly the device button (the one that is used while pairing) at the same time, when you try to change the sensitivity ?

Hi, yes I did that, but it didn’t work. I did however finally figure it out, I have to click the little icon beside the drop down, it opened the detailed info screen, there I changed it to High then clicked the settings tab then Update button, it then kept the new setting.

Sadly, it doesn’t make a difference in the sensitivity. Still need to be 1 to 1.5 meters before it will detect anything. The old version works way better.

I’m using ZHA and I can’t find any “detection_interval” settings in the device page of the sensor. I’ve tried short-pressing the button but it doesn’t seem to help either. What am I missing?

Try re-starting HA. If that doesn’t work, re-pairing the sensor should work.
(Also make sure you have a P1 motion sensor and not an older one)

so basically after pairing the P1 sensor with HA at that point the settings can be changed for a few minutes. Seems like its about 5 minutes.

I am having a different issue all together with the unit just becoming unresponsive after an hour to a day or so. I then have to re-pair the P1 and everything works fine until it just stops working again and have to re-pair. Starting to remind me of the TVOC sensor…

Edit: I just repaired the foyer motion and will report back if it does not keep working. I have changed zero settings other than setting the name of the P1.

HA 11.2 on RPi 4b SSD
Sonoff ZB 3.0 dongle /dev/ttyUSB0 port
Zigbee2MQTT 1.28.2
Coordinator revision 20220219

It appears the P1 I had paired again with 0 changes quit working within 4 hours. 1 for 2? The second unit seems to still be running.

Hello, I have an Aquara P1 motion sensor that connects to HA via ZHA. Many people write about the possibility of changing the sensitivity and detection time - I would like to ask you to know how to do it? Where is it possible to change parameters such as “detection_interval” for example?

Below I attach a screenshot of the sensor information - please advise where to look for above settings. I need change detection/occupancy time to 10 seconds

1 Like

I should have read this before getting a P1… I am in the same boat as everyone else, 1.5 m. The only good thing is the more accurate lux readings. But without the 7 m detection, it’s pointless. I put the old and the new side by side in the same area and the P1 was beyond ridiculous. Sadly I sat on that sensor for too long and I can no longer return it (Amazon). So I will probably use it somewhere where range is not a problem. So disappointing! I will now stock up on some of the old versions to have as spares. Their range is amazing! Another thing I don’t like about the P1 is the battery door. The old ones, you just twist and it detaches the sensor from the mount, you swap the battery, twist to lock back and you are done. The P1 you have to stick a screwdriver to open the battery door. It’s an extra faff. The 5 year batter life would probably help with that but… still, why change the old design?!

What’s interesting is mine paired as ac02 and I see yours as aq2. As you can see in my ZHA screenshot it shows the sensitivity and interval.

1 Like