Aqara P1 MS-S02

In my experience, it’s not unusual with Aqara(and others) to see a relatively quick drop off in battery level and then things level off to a trickle.

I don’t get upset about battery readings in the first few days of any new device. Going from 100% to 94% or even 60% in a few days is probably more a sympton of the battery itself, not the device.

1 Like

So I have the P1 version and the non P1 version of this sensor.
Lux for the P1 came for me just like others after a restart for some reason.
Changing settings for the P1 in the configuration section like interval and sensitivity worked for me after pressing the button on the device a few times as others have reported above.
What I’m still missing is the temperature on the P1. Does anyone have that? My non P1 version has the temperature (but as expected none of the configuration options).

Also both of them show ‘Occupancy’ for me and I was wondering if anyone knows what that entails? I haven’t created an automation based on that yet. But I did notice that both, occupancy and motion trigger at the same time, but that occupancy stays on Detected much longer than motion. Motion changes to Clear after the cool down, but occupancy changes only way later. Without anyone in the room. Does anyone know what the occupancy sensor is useful for?

Occupancy just looks for activity over a longer period of time, say 15 minutes. So you can run an automation that says if occupancy reports no movement after 15 minutes then run X (like turning off a light).

Really though, if you want decent occupancy based automations and detection, you’re gonna need something like the FP1, which is designed specifically for occupancy detection, using mm wave detection, on combination with a motion detection sensor like the P1. Occupancy with just a motion detection sensor is not even really a halfway house to proper occupancy detection.

With regard to temperature, no temperature detection sensor as far as I know, certainly don’t have one showing up with ZHA.

Hi, I also just got 2 of the P1 sensors, one of them the range seems to be just fine like the older versions.
The other one i need to be really close too, and even then i can sometimes do a little dance in front of it before it actually picks me up.

Did you find any solution for the range with yours?

I got two, and placed one at each end of the 14 foot space, and set the automation to restart mode so triggering either sensor restarts the cooldown. Nothing I did increased the range past about 6 or 7 feet most of the time, with occasional detections at about 8 feet.

Did you have any issues with it just not sensing any motion?
One of the 2 i can wave in front off for 10-15 seconds before it detects any motion.
The other one works just fine.

Can’t say I had that problem. Have you tried changing the timeout period?

I have, and once it triggers the motion, it goes back to clear after that timeout period, but then i can stand in front of it and jump like a mad man for a few seconds, up to 10-15 sometimes, before it triggers again.

It has nothing to do with the timeout period i believe, because i can leave the sensor sitting for a few hours, even then when i walk in front of it, it can take up to 10-15 sec to register.

Could this just be a faulty unit?

I’d maybe try removing it and then pairing it again.

Also, set the timeout to 2 seconds and the trigger indicator to on, and then try moving around in front of the sensor. If you get the flash from movement you’ll know that it’s definitely detecting movement. If it’s flashing on movement but not changing status to detected then you may well have a faulty unit.

Only other thing I can think of is to ensure motion sensitivity is set to high. Or try changing it away from high and then back.

Aqara stuff is pretty good once it’s up and running properly but sometimes the devices can be little divas to get to that point.

1 Like

I’ve put both P1 sensors in a location that other Aqara motion senors work and now they both act as expected.

So could this be a range issue? The place i want to use at least one of them in is the absolute farthest away from the Zigbee dongle, and it’s the only room completely tiled.

Would buying some zigbee wireless plugs help with this? They act as a Zigbee repeater if I understand correctly?

Yeah, it could definitely be the case if you have no repeaters at that end of the network. Certainly worth trying, particularly since you can pick up ZigBee smart plugs for fairly cheap. You can always get one from Amazon and return it if it doesn’t help. The Sonoff smart plugs are cheap and work well.

I was looking at the Sonoff S40 smart plug, they are on sale at Amazon at the moment.
Any experience with those?

I have one(S40 plug). Seems to have a pretty strong signal. A few devices have rerouted through it that I would not have expected based on geography.

No issues so far.

1 Like

The strange thing is that i paired the motion sensor in the place i wanted to use. So in the room farthest away from the zigbee hub, and it connected almost instantly, way faster than all my other aqara sensors.

But then it doesn’t behave at all as expected. If i then move the sensor closer by and leave it for a bit it works as expected

Did you have to do anything special to make the Sonoff S40 smartplug work with home assistant?
Like flashing it, or does it just work now?

I have the NORTEK Zigbee controller and use ZHA in home assistant

I had a couple of Sonoff S26 plugs, with Conbee II and ZHA, they worked fine out of the box. Eventually though, I just had all my in wall power sockets replaced with ZigBee ones, and now there are no issues with network reach anywhere in the house :blush:

The S40 is standards compliant, so will work out of the box with any ZHA version from recent history.

Z2M users need to be on 1.26 (July 2022 release) or later. Alternatively, older z2m versions just need an external converter installed.

1 Like

have you ever get this to work?

i have the same issue i doesnt get the new settings and the sensor 10 times.

My Zigbee2Mqtt shows Temperature sensor for P1. So this is ZHA bug. ZHA does not show this.

I can’t seem to find a definitive answer so I am hoping someone who owns this thing can advise. Does this sensor report changes in lux without motion? I am looking to use it to drive non-motion based triggers like closing shades and turning on exterior lights where motion won’t be a factor. I’d like to use this if possible and not give Hue my money.

1 Like