Aquarite Pool

Since they’re all Sugar Valley, it should work. There must be another reason why you’re not able to connect.

I found that modbus document some days ago, it’s good for the chlorinator. I was also looking for info on the pump data, and I found it on that OPNpool project page.

In principle, it can be possible to write a custom component that uses modbus to read data from the Aquarite+ directly, without other apps using the info from that document.

I received the products this afternoon, tomorrow I will start replacing the pump and chlorinator, and I will have to modify some electrical wiriing and plumbing.

I discovered that my pump (QP PRO Variable Speed - model 500VS11) has not only the 4 digital inputs for the speeds, but also the RS485 interface. But I won’t be able to connect it to njs-PC because the protocol should be different vs Hayward/pentair, so I won’t have any real benefit in using njs-PC actually.

I will first test Tastmota’s NeoPool, since it’s simpler and basically it gives me all the info I need plus it lets me control what I need, and I will later do a quick check connecting njs-PC to let you know if I can communicate with the Aquarite+ VS.

@fdebrus I setup everything. Had to do some plumbing work that took longer than anticipated.

I have a problem though: the display of the Aquarite+ (the new touch screen version) turns off after 3-8 seconds, so I can’t configure the system. I’m in contact with the seller to see what I can do…probably the touch screen is malfunctioning and needs replacement.

Luckily, with Tasmota NeoPool I can at least start things manually from HA. :slight_smile:

I used the work you shared on GitHub, but it had a lot of errors (I’m on last HA version) that I needed to fix otherwise it didn’t work for my setup.

There are some things I’m not able to check or control:

1. The Salt level: I see no sensor for salt…do you have it in your setup?
  2. The pH pump: I don’t see a sensor that tells me when it’s active/inactive and a switch to start it manually
  3. Some minor things that I can’t remember now…:slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing your code…it was a good starting point since I had no other way to control the chlorinator.

P.S.: I almost forgot, this little thing is a beast…reliable, fast and no external power needed, so cool putting it inside the chlorinator. :slight_smile:

Aquarite (Aquascenic does) doesn’t have an option for conductivity or salt mesurement. It determines the salt level with the help of the electrolysis cell, through an algorithm.

You cannot control the ph- (acid) pump relay (afaik) but you can see its status both in the web interface and in the home assistant.

BR,
Cosmin

Thanks for the info. I see the COND connector on the board, and also the slot for a CD card, I wonder if it could be added, or maybe the the fw wouldn’t support it in any case.

In any case, even if the salt level is calculated, and I can see it on the display (the 10s it’s working before turning off), I wonder why it’s not exposed via modbus.

Thanks. But I think the HA sensor is the Relay Acid: I monitored the pump activity a little bit, and it matches with the changes of this sensor, the pH State sensor remained at 4 while the pump was active for 5m.

Question: is the meaning of the various sensors’ state numbers (e.g. 4 for the pH state) documented somewhere?

Post a picture of you main board. Most main boards for Aquarite are missing a DC convertor next to the CD chip plug, but some do have it. If you are lucky to have the convertor on your board, it might work if you add an CD chip and probe.

Yes, my bad, “Relay Acid” indeed.

Try to connect the screen to any other RS485 connector. Try “External” or “WI-FI” or even the plug for external screen, the one next to “External” and “WI-FI”. Sometimes it works. I’m a pool builder and I install a lot of Sugar Valley/Hayward equipment and I’ve run into this situation before.

I already tried that 2 days ago when I noticed the issue…it turns off also on the Display, Wifi and External connectors. The seller is in contact with Hayward to check what’s the best path to solve the problem. I think it’s a defective display, hoping it’s not the aquarite’s mainboard. In your experience, what was the main cause of this?

Here you go…please let me know if I’m lucky or not…and thank you for your help.

Faulty communication between the display and the main board or simply a faulty display.

Unfortunately, the part on the main board is missing. See “U7” next to the CD chip connector.

No problem! After all, that’s the role of the community. Glad I could help.

It powers off, seems like a faulty display. A communication issue wouldn’t power it off I guess…but I’m only speculating.

Too bad. :frowning: after warranty expires, could it be soldered knowing what component it is?

I highly appreciate it.

In theory, yes, it would work, but I haven’t tested it.

I use node-red unfortunately I can only read the registers.

works well.

Using the same board “ESP32” next to the NeoPool, I have added I2C and ADS1115 to extend Aquarite functionalities with others sensors.

I’ve started with measuring the water filter pression to received alert when it’s time for backwash.

Example of sensor Gravity__Water_Pressure_Sensor_SKU__SEN0257-DFRobot

Share your idea’s, what would be usefull next to monitor and report on ?

Flow rate and you’ve got them covered!

Hi Smarinof, I have the exact same problem. I’ve setup a Tasmota NeoPool controller, but have to connect it to the Sugar Valley unit. The Sugar Valley is in Portugal so I cannot test it right now. I would like to know if you now have it confirmed that the Tasmota Neopool controller show nothing if it is not connected to the Sugar Valley unit. Should is indeed not show text without the data? Did you get an answer to this question from anybody?

Bet Regards,

Ralph

Hi Simon,
I have the same problem not getting the Sugar Valley (station) text on the tasmota webpage. I do not have it connected to the sugar valley yet an are doing preliminary testing. The Sugar valley is in Portugal right now and I cannot test the connection. Do you know the answer by now? Is connection to the Sugar Valley to get the extra text displayed? Should I not (without connection) get the extra text but with empty data fields?

Please share your experiences.

Best regards,

Ralph The

Could you please help me with selecting the right components to connect my Sugar Valley/Aquarite to wifi?
I saw your post with the ATOM lite and Tail485, is this all there is needed?
And do you think this is still the ‘best setup of components’ after you have been using it a few months?

I understand that I need to flash the ATOM with Tasmota (or is there another custom firmware you would recommend?).
But how did you connect the Tail485 to the Sugar Valley (especially the 12v and GND, where did you take that from?).

Yes, that is all you need.

There is no

There is no “best setup”, but I personaly used D1 mini Pro and Atom (after I saw Alex’s post) and I find the Atom easy and “clean” setup, because you don’t need anymore the DC step down module and neither the RS485 to TTL convevertor.

You need to flash Tasmota but you have to compile a custom version as in the instructions.

Use the WIFI or the EXTERN connector. The connector has 5 pins, 1 broken/not used and the other 4 are 12V, GND and 2 for modbus. Check the link, you will find all the info you need.

I get the flashing with Tasmota but am not sure what you mean with compiling a custom version. Because I looked at the site (Sugar Valley NeoPool Controller - Tasmota) but can not find anything about compiling a custom version.
Could you please help me with that step? Which version of Tasmota do I flash the Atom with, and where can I find the custom version?

For the rest your answers are clear, thanks!