Are we supposed to use both Z-Wave JS and Z-Wave JS UI?

I want to get MQTT working with z-wave, so I found z-wave JS UI. I installed it and I can control stuff from the UI Panel. I saw that Z-wave JS wasn’t working (red exclamation), so I thought maybe they were conflicting, and I disabled it. Strangely, it seems to automatically re-enable itself. Anyway, now I don’t have any z-wave devices in HA. What’s the right way to do this?

Thanks!

Is there a specific reason you want to use MQTT with zwave-js instead of the (recommended) websockets?

I don’t run the add-on version of zwave-js-ui but I do remember that at one time the add-on would re-enable/re-install itself via the supervisor if the user removed it. That was dependent on how the user installed zwave-js. I believe there was an option when installing the zwave-js integration to use the supervised add-on orr not.

1 Like

No reason at all. I didn’t know the websockets was the recommended way to do it. I saw the github page for it and installing the websockets was not as straightforward as installing an addon. I am running HA in a VM (HAOS 12.2), so I don’t think I can even install a docker package on it???

The answer is covered in the integration docs, specifically https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/zwave_js/#can-i-switch-between-the-official-z-wave-js-add-on-and-the-z-wave-js-ui-add-on:

you cannot run them both at the same time. Only one of them can be active at the same time.

The add-on docs provide step-by-step instructions on how to both install the add-on and install the integration. Did you take a look? Every add-on has a Docs tab. https://github.com/hassio-addons/addon-zwave-js-ui/blob/76d0831bac3ec8589dd850d17f53f8419d3d0abc/zwave-js-ui/DOCS.md

1 Like

Just to add to this question, I looked at the docs and it is very confusing with similar naming. I have both Z-Wave JS UI installed with the green dot showing it is running and Z-Wave JS installed with the red dot showing it is stopped.

Can I safely uninstall Z-Wave JS and not lose any Z-Wave devices or functionality? Thanks