Areas - Bulk Editing / Assigning

Is it possible to bulk-edit the areas? I added a whole bunch of devices to HA without assigning them to areas, and I would like to now go and assign them as rooms in my house. I see that I can open EACH entity up and add an area. But I can’t seem to find a way to do this in bulk. Is there a way? If not, that might be a nice feature to add since you can already select multiple in the Entities tab - in addition to enable/disable, assign to area. Thanks!

7 Likes

Hi. I am having exactly same concern. 239 entities without areas. And now it could only be done one by one: Open entity->Advanced->Choose area->update.

I took a faster way: edited .storage\core.entity_registry and .storage\core.device_registry directly updating area property with a value taken from .storage\core.area_registry
But use it at your own risk.

Any updates to this? Any other way of doing this - I am new to this platform .

Same issue here. We’ve improved the functionality of Areas, but I need to mass assign a ton of devices to area now.

I had the same problem but, having some experience with Pyscript, had a go using that. It seems to work just fine, and is presumably slightly less invasive than hand-editing registry files.

My script is here, for people who are comfortable with Pyscript: Home Assistant pyscript to mass-update device areas · GitHub

I relied upon the lucky fact that I’ve named all my entities/devices by a common pattern, which happens to include the area_id.

Disclaimer: you absolutely should not use this if you don’t understand it; I can’t take any responsibility for any problems that may arise. You’ll likely need to edit the script to suit your own needs!

I hope this helps somebody.

3 Likes

Any updates to this? I have over 1000 entities that I need to mass assign to areas.

Same here.

I have over 100 devices and even more entities that need assigning. I’d expect I could batch change properties in the ‘Devices’ or ‘Entity’ overviews. Within entities you can already select more than 1 item at a time, just not change shared properties.

I suggest voting for the following Feature Request or, if it doesn’t meet your expectations, find a better one or create a new Feature Request describing the desired functionality in detail.

There’s no guarantee a Feature Request will ever be implemented but it stands a better chance than inquiries/requests in this old topic.

2 Likes

Got tired of it… solved it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I was happy someone solved it, so thank you, but I am not able to get your integration to show up on sidebar, or anywhere. Wonder if some setting is prohibiting the integration to pop up

Same for me … does not show up in the sidebar.

Did you guys follow the “post-installation” instructions as well?

I did. I also uninstalled and reinstalled it. I ended going through all devices and entities manually. Took its time.

It would be good to understand why it doesn’t show. Maybe something will come out of the logs?

Anyway, it looks like you “solved” your problem… so maybe next time.

Sorry for responding with a delay. Yes, I solved it the hard way. I wasn’t able to see anything in logs I could see to be useful.

i see that i can edit devices, but for the life of me i cannot find how to see entities to modify them. Is there some secret handshake?