Argon One Active Cooling and Active Linear Cooling Addon

since I got my Argon case today, there’s been no way I get the fan to run… its way too cool :wink:

Schermafbeelding 2021-06-24 om 23.56.26

did try to set the config to a lower threshold, and was a bit surprised by the noise the fan made at only 1%… guess its a good thing I have it in the attic after all…

can someone help me figure out how to make the argon one reboot after power failure. i dont need all the other active cooling stuff as it sits in a server room.

I think you only have to set the jumper on the Argon One board to the correct position (I don’t have it here, so I can not write it). It is written in the Argon One documentation.

Yep. Page 6. Put jumper to Pin 2-3.

2 Likes

HI @adamoutler

please let me ask which temp sensor you use? I’ve only yesterday realized that the command_line sensor many people use, isn’t the only core temp cpu sensor, and system monitor has a sensor too… (been starting at that for ages, and never saw it ,)

these 2 sensors aren’t always in sync though:

Guess that can make a lot of difference around these thresholds.

If you’re not using any of these, but create a dedicated sensor in the add-on, could you please expose that too, like the Fan speed entity. That way we can see what’s going on precisely.
thanks

seeing this regularly after ha core restart:

restarting the add-on brings the entity back

anyone seeing this too?

UPDATE:

apparently this is per design of the author. There is a FR to somehow mitigate this in the repo. For now, we probably can ‘fix’ it using this:

- service: hassio.addon_restart
        data:
          addon: 7d06b5a0_argon_one_temp

I have that set in a script running after a delayed start_up.

4 Likes

I also notice that the addon starts when the ha core restarts even if you turn off the setting to start on boot…
Thanks for the workaround!

I just install the addom and the fun doesnt work, I used SD card my SSD isn’t installed yet but I think that’s no problem right?. Here is the config:

CorF: C
LowRange: 20
MediumRange: 30
HighRange: 40
QuietProfile: false
Create a Fan Speed entity in Home Assistant: true
Log current temperature every 30 seconds: true

and here is the log. I think I2C its ok but fun doesnt move in log said that its 100% but doesnt work. The files i2c-* are empty

[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc…exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms…exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes…
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts…
[cont-init.d] 00-banner.sh: executing…

Add-on: ArgonOne Active Cooling
Actively keeping your Argon One cool.

Add-on version: 23.0
You are running the latest version of this add-on.
System: Home Assistant OS 6.1 (aarch64 / raspberrypi4-64)
Home Assistant Core: 2021.7.1
Home Assistant Supervisor: 2021.06.8

Please, share the above information when looking for help
or support in, e.g., GitHub, forums or the Discord chat.

[cont-init.d] 00-banner.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 01-log-level.sh: executing…
[cont-init.d] 01-log-level.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.
Detecting Layout of i2c, we expect to see “1a” here.
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 a b c d e f
00: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
10: – – – – – – – – – – 1a – – – – –
20: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
30: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
40: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
50: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
60: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
70: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
Settings initialized. Argon One Detected. Beginning monitor…
Current Temperature 48 °C
2021-07-13_13:16:02: 48C - Level 4 - Fan 100% (High)
Current Temperature 46 °C
Current Temperature 45 °C

someone have the same problem?

Is the fan running shortly when switching on the Pi? If not, is the connector of the fan attached to the board?

1 Like

Just thought I’d be obnoxious and say thanks for the add-on. Installation smooth (have faith and follow the instructions), works well. :grinning:

Thank you @adamoutler for the add on. It took me a little time with the i2c part but as they say, it is easy once you know how. :slight_smile:

Thank you for this add-on. I have installed on Argon M.2 today
But if you ask me how many times I had to reboot the host to get i2c enabled… probably kwazylion - or more. Finally it “clicked”

Quick one: is it possible to see the fan speed in HA? like a sensor or so? I probably did not read all the documentation… :wink:
EDIT: I knew I did not read properly :wink: All OK.
BTW: I have few RPi4 with this case and with normal Raspberry OS the config from Argon is quite ok and you can set up many levels of the fan speed - here I understand are only 3 - actually 3 is more than enough :wink: So thx again for this add-on and your work.

I noticed this also. Why is it ‘by design’?

Hi there. Just wanted to say thanks for the addon! Really enjoying the sensor happily humming along in my dashboard.

However, I am running a Pi4 inside the case and enabling I2C was quite problematic for me. Hoping this helps someone else who is trying to get the addon + argon one + Pi4 working together in Home Assistant.

• I initially installed your other addon, unfortunately that didn’t work.
  • Then tried the standard home assistant guide to enable I2C. That also didn’t work.

However, I eventually did manage to manually get I2C sorted by doing two things.

• Following @dankrill’s resolution Here
  • Adding in @mattias resolution from here where he adds the config to /etc/modules-load.d/rpi-i2c.conf rather than the boot partition.

Strangely no amount of rebooting brought I2C online in /dev without that last line… I am at a loss to explain why, but that probably points to my lack of Pi and Linux skills. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You need to shutdown completely twice, not reboot, then any method will work, including I2C addon.

Tried that several times (pulled the cable out). Didn’t work. But thank you for the assistance here.

Hi,

i installed a fresh Pi4 2GB with HASS OS. I get the new Version v2 of the Argon Case. My jumper is in position 2 (always on).
For i2c access i use the easy way. Plugin gives me positive feedback, so i deinstalled it.

Next point is the configuration of the speed control:

CorF: C
LowRange: 40
MediumRange: 50
HighRange: 55
QuietProfile: true
Create a Fan Speed entity in Home Assistant: true
Log current temperature every 30 seconds: true

After saving and restarting, the protocol looks fine:

I can set the values like i want, the protocol shows the correct fan speed. But in fact, the fan is running at 100% all the time. I am not sure why, but there must be anything wrong in my config.

Thx for replying.

How can you tell that? Did you measured it?
The sound of the fan isn’t really different for 20% or 100%.

The lowest value seems to be the same to full speed for my ears. I hear no difference!

So how did you measured that it runs at 100%?