Argon One Active Cooling and Active Linear Cooling Addon

I just installed this in my Argon One M.2, I didn’t take a very close look at the internals, but can’t you just replace the fan yourself? What is it, 30x30x10?

@adamoutler : thank you for the reassuring comment. The argon is placed in a clean environment, I guess it was bad luck with the installed fan.

1 Like

@Veldkornet I did not check in detail myself, if the unit would have been out of warranty, I would have started checking & changing the fan myself. Now it is more a logistical operation, waiting for a new one & sending the old one back.

1 Like

Yes, you can. There are only four screws and a 2 pin connector used.
I don’t know the size, but 30x30x10 sounds good.

1 Like

I don’t think you will void warranty when you disassemble the fan.

1 Like

Right, this is developer-oriented hardware. They wouldn’t ding you for replacing a fan. But i wouldn’t expect a warranty on a 3rd party fan :smiley:

@adamoutler, thanks for creating this addon. I have successfully migrated to Argon case yesterday and today, I have enabled the active cooling fan using both of your addons.

I have one question though, if I want to change the threshold, do I have to stop the addon, change the values and save, then start the addon again? Or I can just simply change the values and save it without stopping the addon?

Save and restart the add-on

1 Like

Hi, is it possible set the fan speed by automation? The Argon case is at my working room and the fan noise is noticeable even at low level. And i’m thinking is it possible to turn off/on while I’m in/away from the working room with automation.

Thanks in advance.

Hello!

I don’t know if anyone here tested this before. I just pulled off the magnetic top cover and after half an hoer or maybe before the Pi was 8°C cooler than before.
Before it has been 48°C and now it is at 40°C without changing any other thing.

So maybe it is better to let it run without the top cover.

Happy testing!

Hello and thanks for this usefull addon !

Could you add “Enable or disable the Always ON mode” via service call ? (see https://github.com/Misiu/argon40/blob/546d5fa15442ef28b148c51ad4b2d9b47fa1c8d6/custom_components/argon40/services.yaml)

Maybe can I just download the files from https://github.com/Misiu/argon40/blob/546d5fa15442ef28b148c51ad4b2d9b47fa1c8d6/custom_components/argon40/ and replace them on my folder ? but not sure that it will works, did someone already try this ?

Thanks

@adamoutler

Thank you so much for putting together such a great add on. I really appreciate the hard work that you have put into this.

I just updated and was checking my supervisor log and I saw this error:

21-04-10 00:18:46 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.addons.validate] Add-on have full device access, and selective device access in the configuration. Please report this to the maintainer of ArgonOne Active Cooling
21-04-10 00:18:46 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.addons.validate] Add-on have full device access, and selective device access in the configuration. Please report this to the maintainer of ArgonOne Active Cooling

Should I worry about this?

Thanks again!~

Thanks for this helpful add-on as the ArgonOne fan is noisy. Version 0.20 will not start on HassOS 2021.4.4 or 2021 4.5 - click start and no action. I had to roll back to 0.19/0.19dev to restore functionality. Here is the error message from Supervisor:

21-04-18 11:49:29 ERROR (SyncWorker_4) [supervisor.docker] Image adamoutler/aarch64-hassosargonone not exists for addon_1649bb5b_argon_one_temp

I installed this addon today on my RPI4. Installation went really smoothly and I used the HassOS I2C Configurator that was referenced to enable I2C.

Only issue I’m having is actually switching the fan off fully. Maybe a stupid question…but can someone confirm that their fan actually stops spinning when it’s at 0%?

My config is as follows:

CorF: C
LowRange: 55
MediumRange:60
HighRange:65
QuietProfile: Ticked
Create a Fan Speed entity in Home Assistant: Ticked

My Pi is consistently around the 34/35c temperature. The log is below.

[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] 00-banner.sh: executing... 
-----------------------------------------------------------
 Add-on: ArgonOne Active Cooling
 Actively keeping your Argon One cool.
 Add-on version: 20
 You are running the latest version of this add-on.
 System: Home Assistant OS 5.13  (aarch64 / raspberrypi4-64)
 Home Assistant Core: 2021.4.5
 Home Assistant Supervisor: 2021.04.0
 Please, share the above information when looking for help
 or support in, e.g., GitHub, forums or the Discord chat.
[cont-init.d] 00-banner.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 01-log-level.sh: executing... 
[cont-init.d] 01-log-level.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.
Detecting Layout of i2c, we expect to see "1a" here.
     0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  a  b  c  d  e  f
00: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
10: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 1a -- -- -- -- -- 
20: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
30: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
40: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
50: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
60: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
70: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
Settings initialized. Argon One Detected. Beginning monitor..
Current Temperature 38 °C
Level 1 - Fan 0% (OFF)
Current Temperature 36 °C

As I find the fan too noisy for the room I’m in and the Pi is not under heavy load, I’d prefer the fan to be off until it hits the ranges defined in the config.

Any help appreciated :).

Hello,
I have updated ArgonOne Active Cooling to the latest version 20 and it not work

This is my system

## System Health

version | core-2021.4.5
-- | --
installation_type | Home Assistant OS
dev | false
hassio | true
docker | true
virtualenv | false
python_version | 3.8.7
os_name | Linux
os_version | 5.4.83-v8
arch | aarch64

update_channel | stable
supervisor_version | supervisor-2021.04.0
docker_version | 19.03.15
disk_total | 109.3 GB
disk_used | 7.8 GB
healthy | true
supported | true
board | rpi4-64
supervisor_api | ok
version_api | ok
installed_addons | Check Home Assistant configuration (3.6.0), File editor (5.2.0), RPC Shutdown (2.2), AppDaemon 4 (0.5.2), Grafana (6.3.1), SSH & Web Terminal (8.1.1), InfluxDB (4.0.4), OpenVPN Client (0.0.1), Mattiols Reverse Proxy (0.2), Home Assistant Google Drive Backup (0.103.1), Mosquitto broker (5.1.1), Samba share (9.3.1), ArgonOne Active Cooling (20)

The addon does not start
This is the ERROR

ERROR (SyncWorker_3) [supervisor.docker] Image adamoutler / aarch64-hassosargonone not exists for addon_7d06b5a0_argon_one_temp

Until updated to the latest version 20 it worked

My config addon

CorF: C
LowRange: 40
MediumRange: 50
HighRange: 55
QuietProfile: true
Create a Fan Speed entity in Home Assistant: true

Problem solved
I uninstalled and reinstalled the addon

2 Likes

Just to round this off - I opened, updated a closed a ticket here regarding this issue.

Seems like I had screwed one of the bottom screws in just a little too tight. Once I released that one, suddenly the fans stopped and the addon worked as expected. Hope this helps someone.

Did had the same, and did the same workaround (remove and reinstall). Working again

I am on version 20 on latest hassos. The option to start add on is now greyed out. It worked before version 20 and uninstalling and reinstalling hasn’t worked as suggested

1 Like

hello
if i restart ha the fan addon disappear i must manual activated it with supervisor then it will be come up again.
has somebody the same problem or must i do something with mine config yaml?