Arlec Grid Connect Ceiling Fans

Hi folks, I have these (specifically the DCF4002WHA) working 100% as desired using Tasmota, but avoiding Tasmota autodiscovery (as the support for the MCU is poor), and also leaning heavily on raw TuyaMCU commands. This setup works in real-time and any settings applied via the remote control for the fan are reflected immediately in HomeAssistant. Fan speeds work perfectly, brightness works perfectly, and colour temps work perfectly.

The Console commands for TuyaMCU only need to enable the light and fan power. The rest is done using raw TuyaMCU commands in the MQTT config within HA.

Backlog TuyaMCU 11,1; TuyaMCU 12,9

DO NOT use the console command “TuyaMCU 21,10”. As of Tasmota 12.4.0.5 it crashes the MCU and the entire unit will not work after a power cycle. If you ever accidentally enter this command it must be zeroed out with the console command “TuyaMCU 21,0” and power cycling the device.

You must also enable Option 66 via the Tasmota console and “SetOption66 1”.
The Tasmota template is:

{"NAME":"Arlec DCF4002WHA","GPIO":[1,1,1,1,1,1,0,0,1,1,1,1,1,0],"FLAG":0,"BASE":54}

The following MQTT code works for these devices, noting you need to change your topic and device name to suit your device.

fan:
    name: "Theatre Fan"
    unique_id: "Theatre Fan"
    state_topic: "tele/tasmota_C23047/RESULT"
    state_value_template: "{{ 'ON' if '1' in value_json.TuyaReceived and value_json.TuyaReceived['1'].DpIdData == '01' else 'OFF' if '1' in value_json.TuyaReceived and value_json.TuyaReceived['1'].DpIdData == '00' }}"
    command_topic: "cmnd/tasmota_C23047/POWER1"
    payload_on: 'ON'
    payload_off: 'OFF'
    percentage_command_topic: "cmnd/tasmota_C23047/TuyaSend4"
    percentage_command_template: "{{ {1: '3,0', 2: '3,1', 3: '3,2', 4: '3,3', 5: '3,4', 6: '3,5'}[value] | default('1') }}"
    percentage_state_topic: "tele/tasmota_C23047/RESULT"
    percentage_value_template: "{{ (value_json.TuyaReceived['3'].DpIdData | int) + 1 if '3' in value_json.TuyaReceived }}"
    speed_range_min: 1
    speed_range_max: 6
    preset_modes:
      - "Summer"
      - "Winter"
    preset_mode_command_topic: "cmnd/tasmota_C23047/TuyaSend4"
    preset_mode_command_template: >
      {% if value == 'Winter' %}4,1
      {% elif value == 'Summer' %}4,0
      {% endif %}    
    preset_mode_state_topic: "tele/tasmota_C23047/RESULT"
    preset_mode_value_template: >
      {%- if '4' in value_json.TuyaReceived %}
        {%- if value_json.TuyaReceived['4'].DpIdData | int == 1 %}Winter
        {%- elif value_json.TuyaReceived['4'].DpIdData | int == 0 %}Summer
        {%- endif %}
      {%- endif %}
  light:
    name: "Theatre Light"
    unique_id: "Theatre Light"
    state_topic: "stat/tasmota_C23047/POWER2"
    command_topic: "cmnd/tasmota_C23047/POWER2"
    payload_on: 'ON'
    payload_off: 'OFF'
    brightness_command_topic: "cmnd/tasmota_C23047/TuyaSend2"
    brightness_command_template: "{{ '10,' ~ (((value | int) // 2) * 2) }}"
    brightness_state_topic: "tele/tasmota_C23047/RESULT"
    brightness_scale: 100
    brightness_value_template: "{{ (value_json.TuyaReceived['10'].DpIdData | int(base=16)) if '10' in value_json.TuyaReceived else None }}"
    color_temp_command_topic: "cmnd/tasmota_C23047/TuyaSend2"
    color_temp_command_template: "{{ '11,' ~ ((value - 154) * 100 / (370 - 154)) | round }}"
    color_temp_state_topic: "tele/tasmota_C23047/RESULT"
    color_temp_value_template: "{{ (154 + (value_json.TuyaReceived['11'].DpIdData | int(base=16)) * (370 - 154) / 100) | round if '11' in value_json.TuyaReceived else None }}"
    min_mireds: 154
    max_mireds: 370

A summary of the code is that it uses raw TuyaSend commands to make changes, and reviews the Tasmota MQTT Tele commands which - via the use of Option 66 for TuyaMCU - includes the raw status of all the dpIds and parses those for the value it is looking for.

1 Like

I’ve just done my second DCF4002WHA using the code I posted above and confirmed it works on this second device. For this unit, I used a TYWE2S based on the ESP8285 and the only difference was that I did not need to wire up the EN pin as I believe the TYWE2S board has this hardwired to VCC.

1 Like

Replying to a question from @Kaldek here for everyone’s benefit:

Hi mate, I just completed getting these ceiling fans working perfectly via Tasmota but didn’t notice your post until I was done. I didn’t do any work on the TX pin for managing the 5v from the MCU and mine seems to be stable. I’m using the Tuya TYWE3S module.

Thoughts on why this might be the case? I did solder my module onto the pins on the existing daughterboard, as I assumed the capacitors were put there for power filtering.

IIRC, I was originally testing with an ESP-01 module without any protection. It started to misbehave after a while. I identified the 5V IO, blamed the instability on this and added the series diode. No issues since.

The TYWE3S datasheet specifically says V_IH=VCC which is nominal 3.3V max 3.6V:

But then the original WR4 module has the same parameters:

Possibilities that come to mind:

• My initial measurements were bad and there’s no 5V IO. Diode resolving instability was a coincidence.
  • Arlec didn’t read the WR4 datasheet, are driving its GPIO beyond spec and getting away with it. WR4/RTL8710BN more tolerant than ESP8266.

I recently cooked a Lolin ESP32-S2 Mini by trying to control a roller door with open drain output from the ESP. I can’t recall if the roller door was pulling that input up to 5V or 12V, but now I’m extra paranoid about exposing my ESPs to >3.6V under any circumstances.

It may now be possible to flash the LibreTiny port of ESPHome directly onto the original WR4 module which uses a RTL8710BN.

https://docs.libretiny.eu/docs/projects/esphome/

How easy is it to remove the control module from these fans if they’re already up on the ceiling?

1 Like

i migth have to pull my deck fan down tomorrow in the daylight, and see whats under the hood, and potentially see if i can flash it as per your comment above.

So just confirming if I just want to use HA for the ceiling fan speeds and making some timers etc, i wont need to do any flashes? It will just connect to HA? Im still a noob to all this

I’ve had success flashing ESPHome to the WR4 inside an arlec “Smart Madrid” DCF4002WHA ceiling fan. I’ve written up some rough notes and screenshots here: projects:arlec_smart_fans:overview [Travis' Wiki]

1 Like

That worked really well thanks Travis. You got RX and TX the wrong way round
on your USB-TTL serial adaptor wiring diagram, but I will let you off. Great work on your write up/documentation on this and the rest of your projects - much appreciated.

Hi team, sorry to hijack your thread, I have a similar control board without wifi and would like to add a manual rotary switch to control it. Is this possible?