Arlec Grid Connect Ceiling Fans

ESP board or fan controller board?

The controller board. I’m going to breadboard test the controller mcu first to see if uart is even active on those pins

Edit: dang, there is one above that I scrolled right past, but it doesn’t have the same smd pads as mine. All other pics look identical as far as I could tell.

is there any chance anyone has some boards left? looking at getting 2 or 3

Still got some left, PM’ed with details.

Rymo, thank you for your work on this, without you it wouldn’t have got off the ground. @darecki for refining the PCB, selling me your spare ones and your sanity check when it came to getting it up and running today (pro tip guys, plug in fan and light BEFORE 240V the board is smart enough to detect that it is not there and starts doing strange things like not letting you turn on the fan) @tinglis1 thank you mapping out the attributes

so here is my YAML for my fan. this includes the following items as working/accessable in HA

• Fan speed & On off
  • Fan Direction (no additional hacks needed to HA)
  • Light (All functionality of colour temperature, brightness now working)

only items left to do is bring through the presets and timers and it’s all sorted. they were never used by me but to keep the minister of finances and entertainment happy they will go back in eventually

# TUYA SETUP FOR ARLEC CEILING FAN
# -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

substitutions:
  devicename: "bedroom-fan"
  friendly_name: "Bedroom Fan"

esphome:
  name: ${devicename}
  platform: ESP8266
  board: esp01_1m
  esp8266_restore_from_flash: true

wifi:
  ssid: RiFi
  password: <wifi password here<
  ap:
    ssid: ${devicename}
    password: <insert ap password here>
#  manual_ip:
#    static_ip: XXX.XXX.X.XXX
#    gateway: XXX.XXX.X.X
#    subnet: 255.255.255.0

captive_portal:

# Enable Web server
#web_server:
#  port: 80 

logger:
  baud_rate: 0
api:
  password: <add password here>
  encryption:
    key: <add key here>

ota:
  password: <add in OTA Password here>
uart:
  rx_pin: GPIO03
  tx_pin: GPIO01
  baud_rate: 9600
tuya:

sensor:
  - platform: wifi_signal
    name: $devicename WiFi Signal
    update_interval: 60s

- platform: uptime
    name: $devicename Uptime
fan:
  - platform: "tuya"
    name: ${friendly_name}
    switch_datapoint: 1
    speed_datapoint: 3
    direction_datapoint: 4
    speed_count: 6

light:
  - platform: "tuya"
    name: "Bedroom Light"
    switch_datapoint: 9
    dimmer_datapoint: 10
    min_value: 0
    max_value: 100
    color_temperature_datapoint: 11
    color_temperature_max_value: 100
    cold_white_color_temperature: 150 mireds
    warm_white_color_temperature: 400 mireds

#Attribute info - Credit @tinglis1
#DPS [1] VALUE [True] → fan on,off > True, False
#DPS [3] VALUE [6] → fan speed > 1-6
#DPS [4] VALUE [forward] → fan direction > forward, reverse
#DPS [9] VALUE [True] → light on/off > True, False
#DPS [10] VALUE [100] → light brightness > 0-100
#DPS [11] VALUE [100] → light colour (cool-warm) > 0-100
#DPS [102] VALUE [normal] → preset mode > normal, sleep, nature
#DPS [103] VALUE [off] → timer > off, 1hour, 2hour, 4hour, 8hour

Great work. Is there any boards left? I am interested in one, and happy to pay going rate + postage. Thanks

I do have around 8 spare. Message me for details.

1 Like

Hey mate, would love to buy one or two of your boards if you could reach out :slight_smile:

I too, would love to get my hands on a couple, I have three Ceiling Fan DCF5240HA/DCF5242HA (the ones with the dimmer light and what not) as well as a DCF4001WHA (no light etc). Only after finding this post did I realised that HA couldn’t control the lights etc.

Are these board still around to pick up a couple?

If you cant replace the esp module you may want to check out the tuya local custom component. I have it controlling my arlec fan and light without issue.

See my previous post in this thread for some more detail. The local tuya project has advanced a lot since that post as well.

1 Like

@tinglis1 my man! utter champion, followed a few of the links, found some screenshots that @Hawker180 posted on one of your threads, and bingo, with a little bit of HACS and that wonderful local/tuya intergration, that was easy!
Just from the quick muck around with it, I had one of my fans turning the light on and off, dimming and colour changing, and had a fan spinning in summer mode with the 6 speeds.
Haven’t yet looked at adding in the ability to change to winter mode, and also swapping the light colour around; let alone adding in the modes (normal, sleep, breeze).
Is there a list or repo somewhere that has the commands for the fans or switches etc, or is it just hit and hope kinda thing?

1 Like

Winter mode should already be there.
The modes were not working last time I checked. I had plans to add it to the integration along with some string handling for other tuya fans that need some subtle differences in speed commands (number strings for some and integers for others)

Are you talking about the DPS codes or how to use the fan with HA?
The DPS codes should be in one of my previous posts.
The commands in HA are standard fan commands once added. I have mine in homekit and it works perfectly.
There is a lot more info in the GitHub repo for local tuya. Have a look at the pull request for the fan update I did.

This is great! Do you still have any boards available? I’m really keen to fix my fans as I’m getting random disconnects requiring me to flick the circuit breaker to reboot the fans to get them talking to Tuya Local again. Very poor WAF!

@AutoM8r @StrangerJona @s_ockey I’ve also still got a few boards left (from the OP in this thread). DM if you’re interested.

Hello Ryan
@rymo
How do I get in contact with you , Im local here in Australia , new todo this forum

I have 6 fans manufactured by a company called “airborne”

What started me on this goose chase was being able to control the fans via wifi , I was looking into the various options on what to do, then came across this post

Turns out the airborne remotes look identical arlec

I’ve even pulled the receiver apart and they are the same

How can I get in contact with you to purchase some boards

Thanks again Mark

Hi @MTP

That main board is a different variant, looks more like: Arlec Grid Connect Ceiling Fans - #17 by tjhowse I don’t know if @tjhowse ever got theirs working.

Presence of the header is promising, but the unpopulated components next to the 10 pin WiFi module header will be the main issue.

Your variant also has a different chip set with 2 SOIC ICs rather than a single QFN IC on my board. As your board only has one LED connector with no brightness controls on the remote, I guess it is simple on/off control for the LEDs and they have used cheaper, simpler chips for this variant. A simple MCU + a dedicated controller for the fan? My board has 2 dimmable LED channels for warm & cool white so I guess they’ve used a more advanced MCU for my variant with PWM peripherals to drive the LEDs as well as the fan.

It’s also possible that firmware support for the Tuya serial interface is not present on your variant.

Control via 433 / 915 MHz remote may still be possible?

-Ryan

Edit: This prompted me to spend the day figuring out how to control my 433.9MHz-only ceiling fan which was ultimately successful: Support fan direction toggle & add EGLO Noosa RF codes by rmounce · Pull Request #995 · smartHomeHub/SmartIR · GitHub
I’ll see what the RF control of these fans looks like. I’m guessing each remote has a unique ID so it’d be necessary to re-learn all of the codes for each fan. I used an RTL-SDR to receive & decode and am transmitting from an ESP32 w/ ESPHome.

Hello @rymo

Thank you for your thoughts on this
And I’m grateful for your time.

Yes you are correct there is no Dimming

Also I don’t even have lights on these fans, I have downlights in each room

I am currently using a product called BOND to control the fans

The major problem is because it is RF based there is no real time feedback to tell the system the Fan is actually running.

If someone comes into the room and uses the remote to turn the fan on.
Then HA doesn’t know what status the fan is left in.

This becomes more of an issue when you say turn the whole house off. (Because it doesn’t know what fans are on or off)

I could probably just put a HA controlled smart Switch mech on the active that feeds the power to the fan. To kill the power feed. Would probably overcome this issue.

My question to you would be.
Regarding your project using the esp chips.

Do you get feedback on the status of fan, for example If someone comes and uses an external remote to control the fan. Does the “ON” status get updated on to the HA,

Im in two minds on what todo. Maybe not worth the headache if your right about the board not being populated.

Thanks again,

Yes with my fans any changes made with the RF remote update the state in Home Assistant.

Re: turning off all fans in the house. The “power” button in the middle of the speeds 1-6 always turns my Arlec fans off rather than toggling the power state. I still haven’t decoded my Arlec RF remotes, but I believe they’re stateless & just send a code corresponding to each button.

If Bond and/or Home Assistant believe that the fan is already off & are not sending the message in that case, a crude workaround may be a script that sets fan speed to 1, waits 100ms, then turns the fan off.

Hello @rymo

Ok thank you so much makes sense, this is what I was hoping for.

I like your idea about the script I hadn’t thought of this. Might be a very simple work around for now.

Thank you again for your help much appreciated.

I will let you know how I get on,

Hi @rymo
This is a great project, thankyou for doing it! Do you have any PCB’s left? Would love to grab one if so.