Arlo: replacement pyarlo module

Version 0.0.10 is only the lovelace card, you’ll need to install aarlo too? I had to split the component and card into 2 pieces for the HACS integration. Look for Arlo Camera Support under INTEGRATIONS.

Aaah! Thanks for the hint, really forgot to install.
Did this and working well again!

Thanks for the help!
/ Ralf

Hi!
First of all, thanks for the great component!
I was wondering if there’s a way to start the stream in the glance card via automation instead of clicking on it?

I’m planning on using a wall mounted tablet next to my door, so it would be great to have the stream running as soon as the camera outside detects motion.

Glad the component is working well for you!

And I think the automatic streaming should be possible. I’ll need to take a look at the code and the javascript piece. Let me get back to you.

2 Likes

I’m using hassio with the old arlo (rather than fancy double-A aarlo) and pretty disappointed with it. I see a few comments here that people were able to get this to work in Hassio. Would anyone be so kind as to clarify how they got this running in hassio? I take it adding the github directory via the hassio add-on store is not the way…

I installed the aarlo component (and others) through HACS : Custom Component: HACS

I have received an email from Arlo stating that after 30 September the current Arlo Legacy App will cease to work and a new app will have to be downloaded. With Arlo moving away from the old app and to a new app after September, will this still work?

1 Like

I hope so!

The component use the webapi and while they’ve made some changes recently - for example, there seems to be a new version of the login interface and request message - I’m hoping they keep the rest of the changes simple. If not, it’ll be a busy September reverse engineering stuff…

1 Like

After getting it working, I feel like responding to some of my own confusion for those digging through this:

• I was under the misconception that for some reason HACS is not for Hassio people. Not true at all, HACS works great with Hassio.
  • At the end of the day, the ui yaml needed this for the custom lovelace card:
resources:
  - type: module
    url: /local/community/lovelace-hass-aarlo/hass-aarlo.js

Note the URL is a little different than the docs. Hope this is helpful to someone.

1 Like

@camfred Thanks for the feedback/information, I’m sure people will find it helpful.

Hey guys has anyone been able to set up video notifications? I want to have the recent video sent to my telegram channel. I know I can utilize the service to do a recording but i saw that there is a websocket “aarlo_video_url” that should already have the last url of the video available. Any example on how to set that up?

I got this so far…

- alias: 'TEST'
  trigger:
    platform: state
    entity_id: binary_sensor.door_window_sensor
    to: 'on'
  action:
    - service: notify.telegram
      data:
        title: "Test"
        data:
          video:
            - file: '/config/www/test.mp4'   //< i assume i need the right path to Aarlo's video
              caption: "This is a test"

Thanks!

This guy might be able to help: https://github.com/twrecked/hass-aarlo/issues/113

I added the video URL support and video download because he wanted to use Telegram.

I’m having an issue with streaming audio from my Arlo Baby. Streaming video works fine, but being a baby camera you can imagine that the audio is quite important. Any tips/pointers would be great. I’m running on hass.io using aarlo and custom aarlo glance card installed via HACS. Here’s my config in case anything obvious comes up.

ffmpeg:

aarlo:
  username: **********
  password: **********

camera:
  - platform: aarlo
    ffmpeg_arguments: '-pred 1 -q:v 2'

binary_sensor:
  - platform: aarlo
    monitored_conditions:
    - motion
    - sound
    - ding

@hugh_man
Just double checking, are you using the stream: component, I don’t see it in the config snippet?

Got it figured out, if you are using nodered you first need to install Telegram palette by searching for node-red-contrib-telegrambot-home then set up your bot and import this flow…

[{"id":"d23695b5.529ea8","type":"telegrambot-payload","z":"7c4440d.fcc82c","name":"SendPayload","bot":"3f37c1e5.83436e","chatId":"xxx","sendMethod":"","payload":"","x":710,"y":2380,"wires":[[]]},{"id":"fb091a7d.cc2078","type":"api-render-template","z":"7c4440d.fcc82c","name":"get Patio Url","server":"8a745406.799e98","template":"{{ state_attr('camera.aarlo_patio', 'last_video') }}\n\n","resultsLocation":"payload","resultsLocationType":"msg","templateLocation":"payload","templateLocationType":"msg","x":350,"y":2380,"wires":[["babf9c5b.564ba"]]},{"id":"babf9c5b.564ba","type":"function","z":"7c4440d.fcc82c","name":"MakePayload","func":"var link = msg.payload\nmsg.method=\"sendVideo\";\nmsg.payload={\n    video: link,\n    supports_streaming\t: \"true\"\n    \n};\n\nreturn msg;","outputs":1,"noerr":0,"x":520,"y":2380,"wires":[["d23695b5.529ea8"]]},{"id":"3f37c1e5.83436e","type":"telegrambot-config","z":"","botname":"PelicaTron_bot","usernames":"","chatIds":"","pollInterval":"300"},{"id":"8a745406.799e98","type":"server","z":"","name":"Home Assistant - Local","legacy":false,"hassio":true,"rejectUnauthorizedCerts":true,"ha_boolean":"y|yes|true|on|home|open","connectionDelay":true}]

I wasn’t using the stream component at the time that I posted, but adding stream: to my configuration.yaml didn’t really change anything.

I still have the problem that the component stops working from time to time and I have to restart HA to make it work again. Even though I‘m using the refresh_entities option. Any idea why this is the case?

@ffm777 I got lots of ideas but nothing that seems to stick. A couple of questions:

• which version of Aarlo are you on?
  • and how does it stopping working? Is it the mode set or something else?

The newer version have better logging to try and get to the bottom of this.

Hey @sherrell, this is an incredible piece of work.
I’m still learning, and like @skynet01 I have no idea where to begin using webhooks to retrieve e.g. a video url.

Here’s my best guess for a script, but it fails woefully! I think I’m missing a step or two…

test_aarlo_websocket:
  alias: test aarlo websocket
  sequence:
  - service: notify.slack_notify
    data_template:
      title: "File Title"
      data:
        file:
          url: '{{states.camera.aarlo_front.attributes.aarlo_video_url}}'

(This script works fine with a plain url.)
How do I use the webhook to reference the URL of the last video?

Thanks!

it’s going to be

{{ state_attr('camera.aarlo_front', 'last_video') }}

You can try to see if it worked by going to dev tools -> templates, paste that in and you should just get a url.