Asus Tinker Board Support for hass.io?

Hi,

Now that hassos is available for tinker board, did someone has it running? How is it?

I got a Tinker Board S but unfortunately eMMC is not supported yet.
See https://github.com/home-assistant/hassos/blob/dev/Documentation/boards/tinker.md

So I can buy a Tinker S and use it with the SD card until emmc is supported?
Did you try hassos on your S (with a SD card)?

Is it really faster compared to a pi3b?

I just installed hassio on my Tinker Board v1.2 and copied my existing v0.76 configuration over to a SanDisk 16gb card.
To answer people’s questions about speed, I’ve never seen hassio run faster. There is no lag when accessing the log or history sections like I was experiencing on my raspberry pi model b.
I seem to have lost the ability to change themes from the front end but if that’s probably my problem so I’m not worried.
This tinker board ran very hot when trying to run kodi but I doubt the loading is going to be anywhere hear that so once again, I’m not too worried.

Stay tuned.

So I can buy a Tinker S and use it with the SD card until emmc is supported?

Yes but you can still install HA on eMMC too, manually…

Did you try hassos on your S (with a SD card)?

Not yet. I just installed a DietPI OS on eMMC and an manual install on it.

Is it really faster compared to a pi3b?

I’m not an expert but with some testing i did (CPU+eMMC), i will say approximately 50% faster than RPI3B.

Ok I bought Tinker Board S with MicroSD Samsung Evo Type 3

It’s amazing how fast Tinker Board S.
No lag on the Tinker unlike the RPI3 + on web interface for example.
Regarding the first installation that takes barely 3 minutes while on the RPI3 + it takes several minutes;
Reboot is very fast (few seconds)
For the moment very satisfied, no bug for me.
Zwave works just as well.

Thank you for your reviews :wink:

Just ordered mine! Will be more faster when emmc will be supported.

With HassOS 2.3 eMMC on thinkerboard S is supported! I’m successfuly running Hass.io from the eMMC and it’s really fast!

1 Like

Good news, i’m curious to know if it will be faster than my current installation with DietPi OS and Hassio on docker…

Mine is running incredibly well since 6 months now without any problems at all !
I added a 3D Printed case + Noctua NF-A4x10 5V powered in 3.3V (gpio1) for silence.

Asus Tinker S is a RPI3 killer for sure and i think the best ratio perf / price for HA.

Does it support the built in Bluetooth for presence?

How does it handle unscheduled power outages?

I’m getting fed up of the Pi falling over at random or chewing up the SD card when we get a power-blip. The added performance would obviously be a great help too. I want to get a UPS eventually but taking the SD card out of the equation is my first step.

[…] taking the SD card out of the equation is my first step.

Mine was the same. My second step was to buy a reliable power supply !
I bought an Aukru Micro USB 5v 3000mA (be sure at least to take one at 3A minimum)

How does it handle unscheduled power outages?

According to specifics topics on net, eMMC is more robust and has an integrated load balancer that needs to handle power loss situations gracefully. In any cases, think backup and backup of backup, like every 7d/24h runtime solutions.

Does it support the built in Bluetooth for presence?

Yes and No. The bluetooth component in HA is quite difficult to stabilized.

That’s great, Thanks for the info. I looked at the power supply really early on (3.5amp) so that should be good to go.

I always thought that my wifi got dodgy when I used bluetooth presence on the Pi! Good to know I wasn’t cracking up!
So does that custom component work on the Tinkerboard correctly? (or as expected at least?)

It’s a shame I didnt think about the Tinkerboard over Black-Friday… :frowning:

I do not use bluetoooth for presence so I don’t know. I may try it.
Regarding power outage, in fear of losing my installation, I use an UPS since the begining. So I can’t tell about it (and I will not try :wink: )

I Don’t Blame you! :wink: :smiley:

Nothing to really add here except got a Tinker Board running today, dumping the Pi
Thanks to everyone else commenting in this thread and @makai other thread that let me know not to bother restoring add-ons from snapshot. Switching devices probably took me all of 30 minutes.

Hi folks. Newbie here! I have been trying to get homeassistant installed on my tinkerboard but i am hitting a brick wall straight off the bat.

I have downloaded the tinkerboard image and unzipped, used etcher and booted up. But although it runs through a setup script - and i see it making good progress (though multiple ipv6 hangs) - but nothing happens… its painful.

Does anyone have any advice for best method for asus tinkerboard install?

My tinkerboard is a slightly older v1.2 so only sd card sadly - so is it even possible? I feel it should be - somehow.

Would i be better installing a standard OS then trying to put homeassistant on after?

Thanks for any help/advice :slight_smile:

Hey,

Im planning to get a Tinker Board S due emmc reliability, did you just download the tinkerboard hassos image and burned using etcher? sorry for the basic question never used a tinkerboard…

Also would a 16gbs be enough storage space? Im asking that cuz HASSOS recommends about 32gbs SD so, half of that would be enough?

@beto I installed on a 16GB model, running for ~2 months without any problems. I just downloaded the Tinker Board image and burned with Etcher like you asked. Just like you would an SD card except board is connected to PC by USB instead. It still gets treated as removable storage by Windows.

Yes using etcher as said by @cybergrimes.

Regarding the emmc size, HassOS is currently using 18% with 2 snapshots (40Mb each) and 5 addons (pihole, samba, ssh, duck dns and Configurator).
It has been running for 5 months now without any issue.

By the way, my board has survived 2 power outages without any issue. No database issue and didn’t had to reinstall.
Works great! :wink:

1 Like