Athom Smart Plugs (Reliability / Lifetime / Time to failure) [please contribute]

2 Likes

IMG_0591

2 Likes

I have 8 Arlec PC191HA’s around the house for almost a year and none have died. Most are just for monitoring low power devices but one on the dryer, the dishwasher, and the washing machine. The dryer pulls about 2000W, device is warm, but hasn’t missed a beat.

I also have some Athom plugs that have been working without issue. Low power going through them and, like the Arlec’s, generally not switching under load. All my devices have been modded onto esphome.

3 Likes

Talking about reliability, I not happy with my Meross Smart Plug with Energy Monitor,
I had about 7 of these, an about 4 have died over a couple of years. One was on a freezer, and I did not notice for a few days.

1 Like

Ouch ! I followed advice i saw before and added an automation to monitor the power usage of our downstairs chest freezer, and notify if the power is on too long (potential door left open) or off too long (possible motor or Wi-fi failure).

Then I noticed the freezer was on for minimum 1 hour, and off for max 30 minutes per cycle - and quite a lot longer on if we had opened the freezer. Seems a lot of power … so i queried Westinghouse/Electrolux, who only offered to arrange a serviceperson to visit. I did some calculations and worked out that a full year’s power consumption (kWh) would work out at about the freezers 2.5 Energy Star rating. I now have my notification set to 2 hours on - but just ignore it if we have opened the freezer.

Three plugs up to 16 months and another three at 6 months. Some spares when they eventually expire!!

For those updating ESPHome firmware to 2024.2.0, the latest has a breaking change on CSE7766 power sensor; to build your firmware you will need to alter the YAML; comment out update_interval and use a throttle average instead.

3 Likes

Thanks @JulianDH , I have exactly this issue, where do I update the YAML?

INFO ESPHome 2024.2.0
INFO Reading configuration /config/esphome/athom-smart-plug-v2-de0700.yaml...
INFO Detected timezone 'Australia/Brisbane'
Failed config

sensor.cse7766: [source /data/packages/43f53298/athom-smart-plug-v2.yaml:86]
  platform: cse7766

[update_interval] is an invalid option for [sensor.cse7766]. Please check the indentation.
  update_interval: 10s
  current: 
    name: Current
    filters: 
      - lambda: if (x < 0.060) return 0.0; else return x;
  voltage: 
    name: Voltage
  power: 
    name: Power
    id: power_sensor
    filters: 
      - lambda: if (x < 3.0) return 0.0; else return x;
  energy: 
    name: Energy
    id: energy
    unit_of_measurement: kWh
    filters: 
      - multiply: 0.001
    on_value: 
      then: 
        - lambda: |-
            static float previous_energy_value = 0.0;
            float current_energy_value = id(energy).state;
            id(total_energy) += current_energy_value - previous_energy_value;
            previous_energy_value = current_energy_value;

When I hit edit in ESPHome,

Screenshot 2024-02-22 10.56.57

I can modify this file, but I cannot locate update_interval:

substitutions:
  name: athom-smart-plug-v2-de0700
  friendly_name: Smart Plug V2
packages:
  Athom_Technology.Smart_Plug_V2: github://athom-tech/athom-configs/athom-smart-plug-v2.yaml
esphome:
  name: ${name}
  name_add_mac_suffix: false
  friendly_name: ${friendly_name}
api:
  encryption:
    key: XXXXXXX

wifi:
  ssid: !secret wifi_ssid
  password: !secret wifi_password

Your config points to a more detailed config online which it downloads and uses.

Either you need to copy the online config into yours and change it, or Athom will probably adjust the config sometime (or maybe provide old/new versions of the URL).

Sorry for the dumb question, but what is a “throttle average” and how does one use it?

average value over the specified time period

it is a sensor filter settings and the full range of filters are below

Note the comment of @Mahko_Mahko above. This is only relevant if you are compiling your own firmware from a full YAML

Thanks for the information. :slight_smile:

As predicted by Mahko, it seems Athom have adjusted the config on their site - so everything just works again. I had almost plucked up the courage to flash my attempt at custom firmware when I went back to check. Glad I did because I’d probably have bricked the device otherwise. A little bit of knowledge does tend to be quite dangerous…

5 Likes

Can someone please post the link? The config I can see is 5 months old.

Thanks

1 Like

Awesome, thank you :slight_smile:

Having said that, Im sure that was not there this morning, I promise I looked :sweat: :smiling_face_with_tear:

1 Like

Not a smart plug but I have an Athom bulb that has been great for over a year but just this week has started randomly turning on, a lot. It’s running the latest WLED (14.1). In HA the only thing in the log is just ‘light turned on’, because HA didn’t cause it. It’s quite annoying because as far as I can see there is no internal WLED log to see what’s going on.

Seems I’m not alone either.

I’m currently working on designing a cloud switch and utilizing SMPS IC as KP3210. Despite my efforts, I’ve been unable to obtain the 5V output. If anyone has information regarding the values of the components or a circuit diagram, it would be immensely helpful. Thank you.

First of 3 smart plugs purchased around 2 years ago has died. Completely dead. No switching, connection to wifi or LED.

Was not switching, simply monitoring power of my TV.

The other two are on my fridge and Ryobi battery charger.

I see Athom have smart plugs with esp32-C3 available
for pre order and wonder if they will last longer than the earlier versions with the 8285 chipset.

Which country and model?

Model: PG01V2-AU16A

1 Like

Hello
Here I am as a new owner of Athom Italian form smart plug
On the back of the plug it is written PG05 V2
On the Athom site it is written that it uses the V1 yaml

But in Home assistant it used the V2 yaml.
All seems ok, it is connected to Home assistant via esphome dashboard.
Just a stupid question
I want to change the relay state after current interruption changing it from
relay_restore_mode: RESTORE_DEFAULT_OFF
To
RESTORE_DEFAULT_ON
And change
sensor_update_interval: 10s
To 2s

Do I need to download the yaml file from GitHub, customize it and then upload it to the plug?
How do I perform this?
Sorry but I’m new to esphome
Thanks