Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

One thing I’m starting to learn is there are multiple ways we can all go on our adventures. And there seems to be no wrong or right. It’s just what we know and what works in our scenario. The flexibility of this system is brilliant.

Rules work if HA (MQTT) is down like if your rebooting HA. Increases WAF :wink:

1 Like

Got a question for those people using Certified hardware and then flashing different firmware… Doesn’t this invalidate the certification? ie, any change to firmware on a device that modifies the way it operates requires a device to be re-certified? Or you just don’t worry about it as most people wouldn’t know the difference?
Cheers

Did you end up getting these to work? I am thinking of purchasing one :slight_smile:

This is a good question, and one that I think we all prefer to gloss over.

OTOH it is the hardware that is certified for things like proper separation between high and low voltage, physical safety, proper earthing, current carrying capacity etc. I am uncertain whether any of the things that they actually certify would be changed by flashing. And I am not going to spend a minor fortune to buy the standards to check.

I’m pretty sure if you asked the standards people, or a building insurance company, or a court, they’d say flashing does invalidate certification.

So that might be the hard line rule. But in practical terms and by way of example, I bought a couple of Shelly 2.5 to evaluate them for a new house build (along with many other devices), and the Shelly 2.5s get very hot, see my detailed post on this. The 2.5 has an internal temperature sensor, and will turn off the load if it gets too hot (at just over 90°C from memory). Shelly provide a header to allow reflashing of the ESP8266, but if you do that, say with ESPHome, and don’t implement the over-temperature safety feature in your own code, then you’ve removed a safety feature that might be part of certification. Even if it didn’t invalidate the certification, I’d be hesitant flash it unless I trusted my code to be as good as Shelly’s. If the 2.5 gets Aus certification, which it probably will soon, I’d still be very hesitant to install in the walls of my house!

Probably deviated from the original question there, but just a word of caution about reflashing devices and to consider how you might be compromising any built in / under the hood safety features of OEM firmware.

I completely agree however as I’ve mentioned previously in this thread (and although not really the correct answer…) if the device did melt into a blob no one is going to know what firmware was on it.

1 Like

Yes but not all your devices may be victims. If there is one melted device, and 10 others that don’t melt, but have a strange firmware on them, chances are the one that melted did too.

1 Like

I take your point @patfelst. I am curious whether that internal temp sensor arrangement is even in the firmware, or is a purely hardware function?

@nickrout yes I wondered that too. Given the temperature is reported via MQTT and can be displayed in Home Assistant, I’m guessing it’s done in software.

An update on what I have available

4 x Old Style Kogan Plugs
2 x Vivitar Powerboards secondhand and a brand new Jinvoo one same device.(In my changeover to zigbee they sent me a wifi one in a zigbee case and said to keep it and they are sending me another one as I ordered a third one.)
1 x Mirabella Genio Power Board

All in great working order and the Mirabella is not very old at all.

Has anyone flashed Tasmota onto the Arlec CCT R80 globe? There is no specific template for it as yet, but are thinking it will be the same as the regular Arlec CCT globe, as the specs are the same.

The 2 globes I got in the starter kit actually show as an R80 icon in smart life, where as my single globe shows as a normal globe icon. But maybe that detection would suggest not the same.

This is the light on the front porch, so will be unpopular if it’s out of action because of me messing with it.

I’ve bought one of these Jinvoo 3 Gang WiFi Wall Switch from Amazon. Works well and is Aus Certified.

Got mine for $23 a month or so ago but now seem to be $30, still not a bad price.

Aus Certification

edit: model link

Have you flashed it with Tuya Convert ?? Work OK ??

Craig

Anyone here have a robot vacuum they use in Australia? Any tips or recommendations for ones that are compatible with Home Assistant, preferably one with dual floor mapping.

@currest2620

IMO depends on budget! I have the Roomba i7+ and it’s amazing, but not on the cheap side. Others have the roborock/xiaomi which does the job nicely, not sure on their specific mapping features, but I know there’s a floor plan integration you can get in HA to achieve the same result (that’s my understanding anyway)

The native Roomba integration dosent have full functionality (like selective cleaning) so I created my own using a third party api (but still controlled locally) :+1:

1 Like

I’ve got the S5 Max - it suits me, as I have a big “mopping” need. I haven’t got it in HA though. 1) Not sure if you can yet, and 2) Haven’t tried to extract the token/key yet. Supposely it can be done with a pretty simple program these days, but it requires resetting it to factory default, which I’m not keen to do at the moment!

1 Like

You should only need to reset the wifi, it keeps the existing mapping data. I have wifi reset my S5 a number of times

2 Likes

Just a word of warning with the Kogan smart plugs (in my case the gen 1, without USB) , although this could happen with other brands.
I have just had two fail within days of each other, bringing my total of failed units to three. Basically catastrophic internal failure.
The first time it was one monitoring power use on my beer fridge and luckily I was home to ensure the beers didn’t go warm. Unfortunately this most recent event was both my dishwasher plug and kitchen fridge plug. The dishwasher doesn’t matter too much as it was only for notifications, however the kitchen fridge… well, we were away for 4 days so the contents were ruined and the house stinks.
Moral of the story, don’t use them on anything critical. I learnt the hard way. Needless to say the WAF of Home Automation has taken a serious hit in my household.

1 Like

Hey guys looking for some smoke alarms I can integrate into HA what is available for use in Australia? I understand Nest are pulling their API so they’re out.