Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

Yep just updating this for anyone for the future - resetting the Values to Zero and having the correct date and time set, then game me a clean run over the weekend and the correct and expected set of numbers.

Craig

Hi All

I have al most completed moved over to Zigbee.

Therefore I have a number of wifi plugs and power boards already converted to Esphome which I would like to sell

4 x Old Style Kogan Plugs
4 x New Style Kogan Plugs with USB
2 x Vivitar Powerboards
1 x Mirabella Genio Power Board

If your interested please contact me on here and we can then take it off line to discuss.

Iā€™m in Brisbane

1 Like

Out of interestā€¦ What ZigBee gear are you replacing this with (there seems to be a lack of options for Australian ZigBee smart plugs / boards).

Iā€™d also potentially be interested in the power boardsā€¦ How much did you want for them?

1 Like

I am replacing the Vivitar/Jinvoo Wifi Boards with Zigbee.

I have scrounged the internet for people selling their Telstra Smart Home plugs and have replaced the Kogan Plugs with those.

Their not as flexible on Zigbee however its a standard and I have enough technical in my life to not want to keep playing with ESPhome home and what I can and canā€™t flash with Tuya :slight_smile:

1 Like

Unfortunately it seems that all switches are set via that option per Tasmota device. Iā€™m not aware if you can set an individual button on multi gang devices to have the multi push state. I can almost guarantee the wife will make you use setoption13 on the 2/3 gangs as that is where the where the delays become evident.

The delays are there to see how many times you pushed a button before it sends a signal.

I found that others pushed the light button it did nothing for a few milli seconds then they pushed it again or maybe 3 4 times. I found the less visitors need to know the better itā€™s all in the automation

Have your sparky label his changes to the wiring per plate(either tape it on the wires or type a doc you wonā€™t lose) then keep your old switches in a box in the garage in case you wish to use them. By time you sell you probably will just use it as a selling feature and not care about your old devicesšŸ˜‚.

If you want your non smart outdoor sensor light always on have it hard wired that way.

1 Like

I was just about to buy 4 new Kogan plugs - i am in Sydney - let me know how much and we can do a deal

Craig

I never looked into the rules path I just went straight for MQTT. Learned something new thanks to you.

I friend of mine pointed me to 'em. The advantage is that if HA is down, but WiFi is still up, it still works properly (i.e. not dependent on the MQTT server).

My MQTT broker is my home assistant server. So it still runs if my nets down. But still thanks for the info. We are all learning herešŸ‘

One thing Iā€™m starting to learn is there are multiple ways we can all go on our adventures. And there seems to be no wrong or right. Itā€™s just what we know and what works in our scenario. The flexibility of this system is brilliant.

Rules work if HA (MQTT) is down like if your rebooting HA. Increases WAF :wink:

1 Like

Got a question for those people using Certified hardware and then flashing different firmwareā€¦ Doesnā€™t this invalidate the certification? ie, any change to firmware on a device that modifies the way it operates requires a device to be re-certified? Or you just donā€™t worry about it as most people wouldnā€™t know the difference?
Cheers

Did you end up getting these to work? I am thinking of purchasing one :slight_smile:

This is a good question, and one that I think we all prefer to gloss over.

OTOH it is the hardware that is certified for things like proper separation between high and low voltage, physical safety, proper earthing, current carrying capacity etc. I am uncertain whether any of the things that they actually certify would be changed by flashing. And I am not going to spend a minor fortune to buy the standards to check.

Iā€™m pretty sure if you asked the standards people, or a building insurance company, or a court, theyā€™d say flashing does invalidate certification.

So that might be the hard line rule. But in practical terms and by way of example, I bought a couple of Shelly 2.5 to evaluate them for a new house build (along with many other devices), and the Shelly 2.5s get very hot, see my detailed post on this. The 2.5 has an internal temperature sensor, and will turn off the load if it gets too hot (at just over 90Ā°C from memory). Shelly provide a header to allow reflashing of the ESP8266, but if you do that, say with ESPHome, and donā€™t implement the over-temperature safety feature in your own code, then youā€™ve removed a safety feature that might be part of certification. Even if it didnā€™t invalidate the certification, Iā€™d be hesitant flash it unless I trusted my code to be as good as Shellyā€™s. If the 2.5 gets Aus certification, which it probably will soon, Iā€™d still be very hesitant to install in the walls of my house!

Probably deviated from the original question there, but just a word of caution about reflashing devices and to consider how you might be compromising any built in / under the hood safety features of OEM firmware.

I completely agree however as Iā€™ve mentioned previously in this thread (and although not really the correct answerā€¦) if the device did melt into a blob no one is going to know what firmware was on it.

1 Like

Yes but not all your devices may be victims. If there is one melted device, and 10 others that donā€™t melt, but have a strange firmware on them, chances are the one that melted did too.

1 Like

I take your point @patfelst. I am curious whether that internal temp sensor arrangement is even in the firmware, or is a purely hardware function?

@nickrout yes I wondered that too. Given the temperature is reported via MQTT and can be displayed in Home Assistant, Iā€™m guessing itā€™s done in software.

An update on what I have available

4 x Old Style Kogan Plugs
2 x Vivitar Powerboards secondhand and a brand new Jinvoo one same device.(In my changeover to zigbee they sent me a wifi one in a zigbee case and said to keep it and they are sending me another one as I ordered a third one.)
1 x Mirabella Genio Power Board

All in great working order and the Mirabella is not very old at all.