Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

I am also looking at ZigBee options as this might be an option over the WiFi options. I will read more of this thread to see what ZigBee units/combo’s are the way to go.

I haven’t read all of this thread (about 2/3 the way through) but wanted to ask:
“Why Tuya convert?”

I have an Arlec smart switch (no power meter) bought from Bunnings. It works on the Tuya app and I have linked it into Tuya Local in HA. The switch is isolated from the internet so does not rely on the cloud, which was my main concern. It has all the original functionality, but I have not fiddled around with the firmware, so no warranty issues.

I have also just installed a Zemismart blind motor into Tuya Local as well and it is doing what I want.

I am familiar with the advantages of Tasmota because I have flashed a Sonoff Bridge and also added Portisch, which has opened up a whole new world of RF remotes.

But - what will Tasmota give me on Arlec smart switches that I don’t already have?

For your items, not much if you have blocked it via network config.

The advantage to Tuya-convert and Tasmota is 100% local, cloud free control via MQTT. It’s a way to guarantee that the device has no way of ever being snooped on via the cloud. MQTT as a communications protocol is also excellent.

There has not always been TuyaLocal so people have wanted their own firmware.

Some people want complete control.

1 Like

Yep. I use MQTT for my ceiling fans with RF control via the flashed Sonoff bridge. It is pretty straight forward.

Tuya Local just integrates well too and is all local - no cloud. That’s why I went that way. I have been able to block the devices on my router and if the internet goes down, they will still work. If I want remote access, I believe I can do it through HA, but don’t need that for now.

If Tasmota was going to give me more, I’d do it.

The only issue I have with everything is that the #$%^** Zemismart RF remotes use 915mhz, so I have to use their wifi dongle. If there was a 915mhz bridge, I would be in business but other than making one, I can’t see any being sold.

Just by coincidence I discovered a whole new set of devices - Zigbee and WiFi based - and I was wondering if anyone has hands-on experience with them. I couldn’t see if for example deCONZ supports the Zigbee ones, or if the WiFi ones are actually Tuya/ESP based and possibly flashable. Only technical info I could find was over in the Hubitat forum.

Hi OzGaz

How do you have this setup in HA?

I have one for testing, as the buttons show up as individual switches, switching a different speed switch does not turn off the original speed switch so I end up with all the switches on :frowning:

These rock, although I have been changing my lights our for philips hue lights and now I don’t need as many repeaters as I did with the cheaper chinese lights like the NUE lights.

1 Like

Just starting out on the HA journey and loving it.
I purchased a couple of Arlec down lights from Bunnings and have them setup in Tuya app, all working fine, but HA has not picked them up in the Tuya Integration in HA. Everything else is picked up and works fine.
If it helps, running HA 2021.6.6 OS6.1 on a Raspberry PI and the Bunnings product is here https://www.bunnings.com.au/arlec-grid-connect-smart-9w-rgb-cct-led-downlight_p0168695
Can anyone help here please?

Anyone have any luck flashing one of these?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/deta-grid-connect-smart-compact-pir-sensor_p0129567

Just over one month and one of my Brilliant Officeworks smart plugs is dropping off the network intermittently.

It’s the one on the fridge. Must be spikes from the compressor switching on/off killing it.

:confused:

Edit: yeah looking at the history it is exactly when the fridge switches on and off. Will try putting a mains filter on it.

1 Like

This is news to me, don’t know if you guys had heard

3 Likes

Fantastic news if they do follow through with the local API.

2 Likes

Looks like they are working on local support in the 3rd quarter, can’t wait.
Next question is what are great Tuya devices we can use in AU/NZ. I would prefer not to have to flash devices, been there done that and 1. can’t be arsd to do an entire house and 2. when I sell the house, I want it easy for the new owners.
Thoughts/recommendations?
Cheers
B

Have a look on the Blackadder templates page. Basically any listed device is a Tuya device and the AU section will show you what we have available.

Since you are talking about using the Tuya component then you wont be flashing anything.

1 Like

thats awesome thanks soo much, perfect, now I can start buying up large, my wife will love it LOL

Don’t buy on the basis it is supposed to work sometime in the future.

1 Like

yup, I agree, but the biggest driver is when I want to sell the house, the new buyers most likely will not use HA so need to make sure it is easy for them to use and they are likely to integrate with Google or Alexa

1 Like

I’ve ordered a 7w RGB CCT downlight for a test with Z2M. Looking at the Hubitat discussion, the only concern is that they don’t appear to include a Manufacturer name or ModelId, so not sure how I’m going to be able to recognise and configure. Anyway I’ll keep you posted.

2 Likes

Hi everyone

1. Is there any decent water leak detectors that are simple to setup in HA. Ideally it would have an external alarm as well as smart integrator. Don’t mind what format to use it whether it is wifi / zigbee / hub etc.
    I look on ebay and theres heaps of tuya ones but on reading it says Ha doesn’t support sensors like that. Thanks!

2. Is there a decent Ha integrated aussie certified smart plug that could support a kettle or a
    1500w heater without tripping itself or damaging the plug. (not running on the same plug)