Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

Yeah, to me it beats having to solder things and flash to Tasmota.

1 Like

Thanks, that did the trick :+1:

Greetings… This is an awesome thread.

I have begun thinking about expanding the IOT empire in my home… much to the delight of my wife. Although my wife does like Alexa… must be a girl thing :slight_smile:

Have read multiple post relating to tuya-convert and it seems to be the way to go. I’ve also viewed a number of product tables with columns highlighting each devices pros and cons. But these have predominantly been UK or US related.

I have come across these at Kogan, but I may have read mixed reviews?
https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/kogan-smarterhome-smart-plug-energy-meter-5v-24a-usb-ports-4-pack/

Some folks have been quoting version of software/firmware compatibility… and I went down various rabbit holes to a state of confusion.

So, my question… if I were to buy multiple smart plugs, with a view to also purchasing smart touch light switches, is there somewhere that may have a list of products with reviews, pros, cons for Australia?

Appreciate any advice, and if I have chosen the wrong place to post this, apology.

I have a number of those Kogan plugs, they are very good, however you will almost certainly have the newer firmware on them and will be unable to use Tuya-convert.

You may get lucky and get an old batch that have been sitting around.

They do work with local-Tuya though I believe, so still locally controllable.

Anyone know of any good ‘works in home assistant locally’ zigbee or other mains powered slide curtain systems?

Thanks for the info Jason, need to get my head around the ‘local’ side of things and how that works. I actually found these units from Kogan, so am thinking of going with them as the price is really good.

https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/kogan-smarterhome-smart-plug-with-energy-meter-pack-of-4-kogan/

Can I assume the energy meter statistical side of things could be imported into home assistant?

The smart plugs I have now are the Aldi units that use the Tuya app and work great, so looking to purchase a comparable unit, and avoid buying something that will become a paper weight :wink:

Please note there have been multiple reports in this thread of this particular model dying just after the warranty ends. In my case 3 out of 4 of them stopped working just a little after 12 months in use.

These ones are best to avoid. The first ones you linked with the USB seem to be better quality, a newer version.

I’ve had at least half a dozen of the older ones die and binned the rest of them and only use the slim USB ones now.

1 Like

Hi Jason,

Thank you. You answered one of my most important questions. I will look at the the ones with the USB interfaces. I assume the USB units wont do tuya-convert?

Thanks, Mark

If you can manage to snag some with old firmware, but I doubt it.

They will most likely work stock with the Local Tuya integration though.

I am also looking at ZigBee options as this might be an option over the WiFi options. I will read more of this thread to see what ZigBee units/combo’s are the way to go.

I haven’t read all of this thread (about 2/3 the way through) but wanted to ask:
“Why Tuya convert?”

I have an Arlec smart switch (no power meter) bought from Bunnings. It works on the Tuya app and I have linked it into Tuya Local in HA. The switch is isolated from the internet so does not rely on the cloud, which was my main concern. It has all the original functionality, but I have not fiddled around with the firmware, so no warranty issues.

I have also just installed a Zemismart blind motor into Tuya Local as well and it is doing what I want.

I am familiar with the advantages of Tasmota because I have flashed a Sonoff Bridge and also added Portisch, which has opened up a whole new world of RF remotes.

But - what will Tasmota give me on Arlec smart switches that I don’t already have?

For your items, not much if you have blocked it via network config.

The advantage to Tuya-convert and Tasmota is 100% local, cloud free control via MQTT. It’s a way to guarantee that the device has no way of ever being snooped on via the cloud. MQTT as a communications protocol is also excellent.

There has not always been TuyaLocal so people have wanted their own firmware.

Some people want complete control.

1 Like

Yep. I use MQTT for my ceiling fans with RF control via the flashed Sonoff bridge. It is pretty straight forward.

Tuya Local just integrates well too and is all local - no cloud. That’s why I went that way. I have been able to block the devices on my router and if the internet goes down, they will still work. If I want remote access, I believe I can do it through HA, but don’t need that for now.

If Tasmota was going to give me more, I’d do it.

The only issue I have with everything is that the #$%^** Zemismart RF remotes use 915mhz, so I have to use their wifi dongle. If there was a 915mhz bridge, I would be in business but other than making one, I can’t see any being sold.

Just by coincidence I discovered a whole new set of devices - Zigbee and WiFi based - and I was wondering if anyone has hands-on experience with them. I couldn’t see if for example deCONZ supports the Zigbee ones, or if the WiFi ones are actually Tuya/ESP based and possibly flashable. Only technical info I could find was over in the Hubitat forum.

Hi OzGaz

How do you have this setup in HA?

I have one for testing, as the buttons show up as individual switches, switching a different speed switch does not turn off the original speed switch so I end up with all the switches on :frowning:

These rock, although I have been changing my lights our for philips hue lights and now I don’t need as many repeaters as I did with the cheaper chinese lights like the NUE lights.

1 Like

Just starting out on the HA journey and loving it.
I purchased a couple of Arlec down lights from Bunnings and have them setup in Tuya app, all working fine, but HA has not picked them up in the Tuya Integration in HA. Everything else is picked up and works fine.
If it helps, running HA 2021.6.6 OS6.1 on a Raspberry PI and the Bunnings product is here https://www.bunnings.com.au/arlec-grid-connect-smart-9w-rgb-cct-led-downlight_p0168695
Can anyone help here please?

Anyone have any luck flashing one of these?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/deta-grid-connect-smart-compact-pir-sensor_p0129567