Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

anyone knows of a way to get victorian smart gas/electricity/water meater readings onto HA?

The rainforest 200 connects directly to the zigbee on the electricity meters, although not sure if they are still available.

The powerpal pulse counter can use an api call, there is a thread about it. It’s available for free from the government, or was.

I’m still considering an actual clamp meter to measure import and export properly.

1 Like

That looks great. Just bought a house with a 4 or 8 zone Daikin setup, looking forward to mimicking your approach once I get an Airbase installed.

Can anything be done to those that use a remote? House we are moving into has remote controlled ones

Yes but it doesn’t mean you can legally use the frequency of another country and buy foreign devices. There are quite a lot of local devices available these days, but not cheap. I love my ZWave devices because they are super reliable.

Do you mean IR remote? If so have a look here Infrared Control or search for Sensibo

Do you know what brand they are?

Some blinds just use straight 433Mhz RF, so would be relatively simple. Others use rolling codes so are more difficult (and might require a proprietary hub).

I thought this was for aircon only?

No idea, should have paid more attention when the agent showed me. There is also a Velux skylight in the home - will have to see if thats easy enough to integrate.

… and they’re already on Aldi’s Product Delays page, in NSW at least

Special Buys™ on sale Saturday 25 September

Smart LED Downlight 8W: new on sale date to be confirmed (selected NSW stores)

Yes sorry lost track of who was talking about blinds and who was talking about aircon :flushed:

I wasn’t suggesting that we use illegal products/frequencies in Australia.
What the 700 series chips will do is that manufacturer can make one model and certification can be sought in other markets. At the moment the Australian frequency is tiny in comparison to the EU and US markets where there are many more zwave options.
More options and competition will drive price down much like what we see in the zigbee market.

But this doesn’t at all mean that we get more or cheaper devices available in Aus. ZWave already has a much wider range of cheap devices in other countries, we just get screwed like we do with many other goods.

hahaha all good!

What are recommendations for smart lights these days? Moving out of my apartment next month which is full of Philips Hue to a much larger house full of dumb lights. I’d like to be able to control the colour temp (RGB not necessary but if it comes with it why not?), but at the same time happy to go with dumb lights if it does the job. (I sound torn)…

Pretty much, if you had a blank canvas, what would you do? I am intending on using Shelly relays on all switches.

I’d avoid smart lights altogether (except for the occasional lamp) and install smart dimmers instead.

7 Likes

Think Shelly dimmers would do the trick?

Yes. As long as you use a neutral :rofl:

1 Like

Sigh, its going to be interesting taking the switches off the walls and finding out if they have them… I’ll flick you a pic of the ceiling on discord so you can see the pain in the arse it will be to run one hahaha

A follow up note to my previous questions about HA compatible AC systems & zone controllers available in Australia…

We had our ducted AC system repaired by a change-out of the old system today.
The installer put in a new Daikin FDYAN140AV1 3 phase system with BRC24Z8B 8 zone controller and BRP15B61 Wifi interface.
I pleased to report that that combination is working very nice with HA.
HA discovery found the system not long after I setup the Wifi interface, and the Daikin AC integration is working good so far.
I have full unit control and zone control via HA, and the WiFi phone app (local LAN and Cloud), and the LCD 8 zone control panel. Spoiled for choice.
Thanks for all your input guys.

Lastly, in the end I found a way to fit new Australian Polyaire 24V AC zone damper motors to where the old 240V Honeywell/Eire style spring return motors were previously mounted. That enable me to use the Daikin zone controller and not need to rip out all the ducting and vents etc…
Pictures of the 3D printed damper motor adapters…

![P9175544|666x500]

6 Likes