Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

The real retail price is about $120 - still not cheap when that is just for the switch and not the faceplate!

:open_mouth: People buy these?

1 Like

Nope. $165.13 TRADE

Plus, they are bulky (behind the plate) so wonā€™t be able to use them on a 4 gang plate for exampleā€¦and still needs a neutral. Nah, Iā€™ll stick with my ZWave gear thanks (half the price and no neutral required).

I have seen them in the $120-range, but I probably didnā€™t include postage. There are reputable outlets selling them sub-$150. Even at the lower end, the Shelly is looking much more my style.

Interestingā€¦ Thatā€™s the price I have listed in my trade account with a very large wholesaler. Maybe some companies are cutting the price right down to try and off-load stock that nobody will ever buy.

I looked at the clipsal zigbee option but went for a Shelly dimmer and an iconic 3-position momentary switch.
Link

That gives me the ability to turn off and on and dim all with the one switch. Shelly worked out of the box with the following actions.

• up press - turn on
  • up hold - increase brightness
  • down press - turn off
  • down hold - decrease brightness

Worked out half the price of the clipsal zigbee one and better manual control.

6 Likes

To follow-up - I could be getting a battery Qmotion motor from the vendor to test, yeah I have to pay but can take it back if it doesnā€™t work how I want it with ZHA and home assistant. :crossed_fingers:

Side note, they do have hardwire ones but apparently the comms panels that are required to use hardwire are unreliable (things like not surviving a power cycle and needing to be reprogrammed!) Iā€™m happy for anyone to chime as Iā€™d be brand new to this product line.

Dave,
And this is why I have this forum subgroup on regular watch. The crazy prices that Oz have for ā€˜smartā€™ home gear is just that - crazy.
I do note that there are some that are being a bit more realistic. I have bought a few products from oz smart things and although a little pricey it isnā€™t anywhere near what clipsal reckons is fair. And they deliver quick.
Disclaimer - I donā€™t know whoever runs that webshop and my comment is based on personal purchases only.

1 Like

I agree.

Iā€™ve bought quite a bit from Oz Smart Things myself and found them to be great too

Hi Tony, it was a while ago now but how did you end up going with the Brilliant Fan Controller? (RF MCU talking to Tasmota)
I have flashed tasmota and setting one up, but not much information out there on the 99333 model.
Cheers, Owen

Sads,

I did manage to get it working and I posted it on my website, FitzsTech - Brilliant Smart Fan controller. But if I was doing it again, I would use the stock firmware and then use the Tuya intagration to control it because the remote control does not work with Tasmota. The trick is to not use the BrillantSmart App, but use the Tuyasmart or SmartLife App instead, and add the fan via those apps, then follow one of the tutorials online to integrate Tuya into Home Assistant. This will produce a much better outcome. I know a lot of folks love Tasmota, they flash stuff before thinking it through. Itā€™s not a solution for everything. My suggestion is to try and recover the old firmware. If you want to be a little sneaky, just return it to Bunnings or wherever you bought it and get a new one under warranty. trust me this will be a lot better outcome for you.

2 Likes

cheers for that. i soldered pins for flashing so would not be comfortable returning it after that. I have been trying all sorts of permutations and combinations with esphome to get the right Tuya MCU rx and tx and datapoint operations to no avail. So close but so far. I here you about going back to stock, i did create a back up with tasmotizer so may give tuya local a whirl.
(the chip discussed is a TYWE1S-IPEX (ESP8266EX) for future reference)

If you have it flashed with Tasmota, this is my working config.

1. Connect to it over your network and go to Configuration-----Configure other, and use this template
{"NAME":"Brilliant Fan","GPIO":[0,107,0,108,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0],"FLAG":0,"BASE":54}
  1. Enter this backlog command in console
Backlog TuyaMCU 11,1; TuyaMCU 12,9; TuyaMCU 21,10
  1. Once it reboots, use this backlog command in console (change to suit your MQTT and naming details)
Backlog MqttHost 192.168.X.X; MqttUser !!!USERNAME!!!!; MqttPassword !!!PASSWORD!!!; Hostname bedroom_fan; MqttClient bedroom_fan; Topic bedroom_fan; DeviceName bedroom_fan; FriendlyName1 bedroom_fan; SetOption0 1; TelePeriod 60; PowerRetain 1;

fan.yaml
(again, adjust to suit your setup)

- platform: mqtt
  name: "Lounge Fan"
  command_topic: "cmnd/brilliant_fan/POWER1"
  state_topic: "stat/brilliant_fan/POWER1"
  payload_on: "ON"
  payload_off: "OFF"
  availability_topic: "tele/brilliant_fan/LWT"
  payload_available: "Online"
  payload_not_available: "Offline"
  preset_mode_state_topic: "stat/brilliant_fan/RESULT"
  preset_mode_value_template: >
    {%- if value == '3,0' %}Low
    {%- elif value == '3,1' %}Medium
    {%- elif value == '3,2' %}High
    {%- endif -%}
  preset_mode_command_topic: "cmnd/brilliant_fan/TuyaSend4"
  preset_mode_command_template: >
    {%- if value == "Low" %}3,0
    {%- elif value == "Medium" %}3,1
    {%- elif value == "High" %}3,2
    {%- endif -%}
  qos: 0
  preset_modes:
    - "Low"
    - "Medium"
    - "High"

Fan

2 Likes

Thanks Jason, nicely composed. I will give that a go tomorrow :+1:

Jason @kanga_who, I can only assume your model is the ā€œ99111ā€ model which is documented well as working.

Tony @coffeesnob is correct and has done an excellent job documenting his findings on the ā€œ99333ā€ model.

I concur with Tony the issues with the Tuya MCU. The Tuya TX Pin is GPIO15 on this model. This allows wifi control and we receive states over MQTT. However the RX Pin may as well not be set, as we are unable to get any feedback from the MCU (and therefore the RF button presses/ states not initiated via WiFi)

I live in hope it may be something simple we are both overlooking. Otherwise back to Tuya firmware as Tony suggested.

I think it is, my apologies. I didnā€™t realize the 99333 was still flashable, I thought it was chip swapped like the newer 99111ā€™s are.

Iā€™m looking for a power board, say one with 4 plugs that is Zigbee compatible where you could address each plug port individually. E.g. turn off plug 1, 2, 3, or 4. I havenā€™t been able to find anyone selling such a product. Does anyone have a recommendation?

Something like this ?

They were available on Amazon for around $40 previously.

That looks pretty good yeah. Thanks.

Caution note, just because they are sold by Kogan does not make them ā€˜Australianā€™. The photos are dodgy and the plugs are shown upside down which is Chinese style. Also their Global Mark Certificate is only for their Wi-Fi versions, with no Zigbee versions having a certificate.