Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

They are not certified for use in Australia. They are looking into SAA certification, possibly next month.

2 Likes

I bought my Kasa HS105 from officeworks so I’m certain that means they’re Aus certified. Is that what you’re talking about?

The athom shows promise but has that sneaky show you dollar signs but then at checkout says - hey dude we were talking in US dollars. makes them pricey and no cert means the tp link ones come out on top

How to i integrate Tontine Comfortech Wi fi blanket to homeassistant?

With the tuya or maybe the local tuya integration

Yes, we use Grid Connect with the smart life app as it seems to work better than the grid connect/Tuya app. They all worth together fine

Set one up today. Slightly tedious to do the Tuya set up and get local access codes, but that applies to any Tuya not these specifically. Now set up they work just fine and as electric blankets they do what you’d expect.

I used localtuya installed via HACS. GitHub - rospogrigio/localtuya: local handling for Tuya devices. From tuya-cli I found the ids and values that correspond to the physical controllers. Note that the left and right sides are independent devices (LHS and RHS).

Here’s the configuration.yaml for them, you just need to add the relevant secrets.yaml

localtuya:
  - host: !secret localtuya_bed_right_ip
    device_id: !secret localtuya_bed_right_id
    local_key: !secret localtuya_bed_right_secret
    friendly_name: Heated Blanket RHS
    protocol_version: "3.3"
    entities:
      - platform: switch
        friendly_name: Heated Blanket Power RHS
        id: 1
      - platform: select
        friendly_name: Heated Blanket Heat Level RHS
        id: 4
        select_options: low;middle;high
        select_options_friendly: Low;Medium;High
        friendly_name: Heated Blanket Auto Off Time RHS
        id: 9
        select_options: 1;2;3;4;5;6;7;8;9;10
        select_options_friendly: 1 hour;2 hours;3 hours;4 hours;5 hours;6 hours;7 hours;8 hours;9 hours;10 hours
      - platform: sensor
        friendly_name: Heated Blanket Right Auto Off Remaining RHS
        id: 10
        unit_of_measurement: "minutes"
  - host: !secret localtuya_bed_left_ip
    device_id: !secret localtuya_bed_left_id
    local_key: !secret localtuya_bed_left_secret
    friendly_name: Heated Blanket LHS
    protocol_version: "3.3"
    entities:
      - platform: switch
        friendly_name: Heated Blanket Power LHS
        id: 1
        friendly_name: Heated Blanket Heat Level LHS
        id: 4
        select_options: low;middle;high
        select_options_friendly: Low;Medium;High
        friendly_name: Heated Blanket Auto Off Time LHS
        id: 9
        select_options: 1;2;3;4;5;6;7;8;9;10
        select_options_friendly: 1 hour;2 hours;3 hours;4 hours;5 hours;6 hours;7 hours;8 hours;9 hours;10 hours
      - platform: sensor
        friendly_name: Heated Blanket Right Auto Off Remaining LHS
        id: 10
        unit_of_measurement: "minutes"
2 Likes

Has anyone purchased one of these? I’m thinking about buying a couple and wondering if it was working in zwave-js?

Guys,
just thinking if the following would work. Shelly 2.5 double switch hidden in wall cavity controlling a standard double power point?
The shelly should monitor power and also allow both physically switching on/off with the integrated pp switch, as well as controlling the throughput by the wifi.
The trouble I see is the WAF as the physical switch has the possibility of being active in both up and down position?
I’m just trying to avoid spending over 70 bucks on a new double power point with touch buttons.
I guess in my optimal oz world (yeah the market isn’t there) I could buy a wifi (tuya or esp) double power point with energy monitoring and as a bonus two usb ports also switchable. Am I dreaming?
Pat

No. The switch and outlet are integrated into the outlet moulding. You can’t intercept the cables to the outlets or switches.

Tom
ah yes - silly me.
Pat

As an added afterthought (while waiting for origin) how smart is a smart home if we have to plug in wall sockets of variable width configurations to get the power monitoring and wifi control?
That’s the end of rants - i promise.

If all you want to do is monitor and not control have a look at the IotaWatt. It has enough inputs to monitor all the circuits in your house.

1 Like

Had my first Officeworks Brilliant power monitoring plug fail the other day. It’s still connected and I can still control the relay but the power monitoring has failed:

Interestingly it looks like both the voltage and current sensors are kaput.

Screenshot 2022-06-10 at 13-19-57 Settings – Home Assistant

1 Like

I’ve had a couple fail unfortunately… just replaced them with the TP-Link Kasa KP-115

1 Like

I’ll be going zigbee when I run out of stock of the Brilliant plugs (still have a dozen spares left).

Why is it so hard to make a reliable wifi power monitoring plug?

Just checked when I bought them. One month out of warranty!

1 Like

Consumer Guarantees Act? (or the Oz equivalent, there will probably be one, we tend to copy our consumer legislation from Oz).

Too low value to be covered by Australian Consumer Law (which is the australian equivalent).

I think Tasmota might be a contributing factor, because I kept two standard as a test and they’ve not failed while 50% of the ones I put tasmota on have. Obviously not exactly a scientific test, but i do wonder.

1 Like

Well I’m using ESPHome not Tasmota but I get your point.

I don’t see how this sort of failure could occur due to altered firmware though.

Did your failures show the same symptoms as mine or did they go “bang”?

These plugs aren’t as easy to open as the Kogan ones from memory. Might have to be destructive but I’m going to have a look inside.

Similar symptoms to yours, but obviously different firmware… still ‘available’ but stopped reporting, others would no longer trigger the relay.

I don’t know enough about the differences in the firmware, but it could be additional load causing heat (given all the extra features that Tasmota provides), different power management profile for the chip etc…

Like I said, unscientific.

2 Likes