Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

Does anyone know of MR16/GU5.3 ESP-based (tasmota compatible) bulbs currently available in Australia ?
I found these:

1. Connect SmartHome:
    https://www.harveynorman.com.au/connect-smart-5w-gu5-3-white-led-downlight.html
  2. Laser SmartHome
    Buy Laser Smart White Downlight (GU5.3) Online - Laserco

1 is W800-based, not compatible with Tasmota and a pain to flash (lots of Windows binaries required, plus following PCB traces to find out serial TX/RX/VCC pads, if any)
2 is on its way, and I ll update as soon as I know.

In the meantime, I thought I’d ask here just in case.

1 Like

Quick follow up:
Laser SmartHome GU5.3 light bulbs are ESP based, but flashing them with Tasmota requires access to serial Rx/Tx pins and I did no go down that route
Howevery, they work fine with Tuya Smart app + Tuya Local HA integration, so no cloud dependence.

I got two of these and will let you know how they go.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804380243686.html

Not NZ/AU certified, but at 12v, do they have to be?

1 Like

No. You can just use a certified power supply and then you are all good.

1 Like

I assume that the power supply for the existing bulbs is probably certified.

I was just looking at a faulty kogan one today. A 470uF 10V cap near the esp was bulging and measures only 80uF

1 Like

you’d need to remove the cap from the circuit to measure it. Very doubtful a low measuring cap would cause it to be totally faulty.

any other pics of the board?

Thanks for posting this, I’m doing the same - 6 zones!
Have found the sonoff 4 way relays so gonna have a play with using them to drive the cheap Rj12 24v AC connector dampers from aircon parts online

Cracking one open it seems it’s just ‘common’ and open close terminals

Ie one side is always on half of the AC whilst the other is on the open or the close

Should work ok

I did remove it to measure it. Its the reservoir cap for the WiFi module, so would likely cause a brownout and reset whenever the radio transmits.

I don’t have a suitable low ESR replacement here, but temporarily replacing with a regular 470uF cap confirms the the rest of the circuit is working ok.

Hello all;

Two things here:

1: Gaining interest on a Sydney Meetup in August
2: I have 5 spare Flir 2MP IP Cameras to giveaway, contact me, pickup only…(These do not have thermal)

Im thinking either the 18th or the 25th of August,

A Friday afternoon around 5pm for 1-2 hours.
Anybody interested ?

2 Likes

In principle I think a get together is a good idea… Keen to share some of my observations. Would be fun to get a camera, as I haven’t played with one in a long time.
I am in the Blue Mountains (upper), so earlier the better.

1 Like

I’d be keen for a meet up in Sydney

have had a few of the Brilliant Smart WiFi Plugs with Electricity Monitoring that I was flashed with ESPHome (they where on a washing machine, electric heater and a fist tank air pump) all fail and stop working over the past year.

My network has both Zigbee and WiFI.

Does anyone have recommendations for smart plugs?
Was looking at the Aeotec ones but it looks like they’ve transitioned from Zigbee to Z-Wave

I’m looking for a Au certified dimmer puck to place behind a standard switch that allows decoupled/detached mode. I think I can get away with the ikuu range behind the wall for the lights I just want to dim without the detached mode but really need one or two for the rooms I want them controlling smart lights via scene’s etc but fallback to direct control if the network goes down or loses config etc.

They have been Z-Wave for years. I’ve never known of them doing Zigbee at all.

They took on the Smartthings range, which had a Zigbee plug with EM. Not sure about what they have made available since taking over the range, those plugs seemed to disappear.

I like Kasa plugs (Wi-Fi). I’ve been using the Kasa one’s in my Hubitat setup for few years now, but they seem to update fine in my HA setup as well. I’ve read people are suspecting they may be moving to only supplying the Tapo line of plugs, but haven’t seen anything official.

I bought a couple of the TP-Link Kasa HS-110s, then a couple of KP-115’s which TP-Link superdeded them with. TP-Link now sell their Tapo range which seems identical to the KP models except for different firmware, which of course means a different integration. The KP-115 seem to have sold out months ago (except for a few sellers on amazon, etc). Strangely all my local Bunnings still have the HS110s in their demo … which suggests their marketing guys see home automation as just a passing fad :frowning:

My Kasa HS-110s and KP-115’s are all still working nicely (crosses fingers), and I would happily have bought more KP-115s.

Thinking to avoid increasing the number of integrations (and thereby simplify my HA setup), I bought some Arlec PC191HA units (nice small size with switch and power monitoring, and available singly or in a 4-pack). I used these with cloudcutter and Localtuya integration, but just swapped to TuyaLocal; and I have also flashed a couple with LibreTiny fork of ESPHome.

After hitting wi-fi dropout issues, I decided to adopt zigbee for future devices - but only a few Aust-certified zigbee models, and most of them won’t fit side-by-side.

So … no real recommendation from me :frowning:

You can consider these ones. Best to read the full thread so you know pros/cons.

I’m looking for similar. Not convinced by the suitable Zigbee downlight options thinking a smart dimmer switch to control 2 or 3 dumb downlights will be better. Suggestions welcomed? Trying to stick with ZHA compatible if I can.

I’m using Lenovo Tuya based ones at this time, they are working well otherwise for my current needs but don’t have monitoring since I bought them through the local JB-HiFi and was only getting into HA well after I got them. So similar could be an option for some.

1 Like