Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

have had a few of the Brilliant Smart WiFi Plugs with Electricity Monitoring that I was flashed with ESPHome (they where on a washing machine, electric heater and a fist tank air pump) all fail and stop working over the past year.

My network has both Zigbee and WiFI.

Does anyone have recommendations for smart plugs?
Was looking at the Aeotec ones but it looks like they’ve transitioned from Zigbee to Z-Wave

I’m looking for a Au certified dimmer puck to place behind a standard switch that allows decoupled/detached mode. I think I can get away with the ikuu range behind the wall for the lights I just want to dim without the detached mode but really need one or two for the rooms I want them controlling smart lights via scene’s etc but fallback to direct control if the network goes down or loses config etc.

They have been Z-Wave for years. I’ve never known of them doing Zigbee at all.

They took on the Smartthings range, which had a Zigbee plug with EM. Not sure about what they have made available since taking over the range, those plugs seemed to disappear.

I like Kasa plugs (Wi-Fi). I’ve been using the Kasa one’s in my Hubitat setup for few years now, but they seem to update fine in my HA setup as well. I’ve read people are suspecting they may be moving to only supplying the Tapo line of plugs, but haven’t seen anything official.

I bought a couple of the TP-Link Kasa HS-110s, then a couple of KP-115’s which TP-Link superdeded them with. TP-Link now sell their Tapo range which seems identical to the KP models except for different firmware, which of course means a different integration. The KP-115 seem to have sold out months ago (except for a few sellers on amazon, etc). Strangely all my local Bunnings still have the HS110s in their demo … which suggests their marketing guys see home automation as just a passing fad :frowning:

My Kasa HS-110s and KP-115’s are all still working nicely (crosses fingers), and I would happily have bought more KP-115s.

Thinking to avoid increasing the number of integrations (and thereby simplify my HA setup), I bought some Arlec PC191HA units (nice small size with switch and power monitoring, and available singly or in a 4-pack). I used these with cloudcutter and Localtuya integration, but just swapped to TuyaLocal; and I have also flashed a couple with LibreTiny fork of ESPHome.

After hitting wi-fi dropout issues, I decided to adopt zigbee for future devices - but only a few Aust-certified zigbee models, and most of them won’t fit side-by-side.

So … no real recommendation from me :frowning:

You can consider these ones. Best to read the full thread so you know pros/cons.

I’m looking for similar. Not convinced by the suitable Zigbee downlight options thinking a smart dimmer switch to control 2 or 3 dumb downlights will be better. Suggestions welcomed? Trying to stick with ZHA compatible if I can.

I’m using Lenovo Tuya based ones at this time, they are working well otherwise for my current needs but don’t have monitoring since I bought them through the local JB-HiFi and was only getting into HA well after I got them. So similar could be an option for some.

1 Like

Have these arrived? There are so few options for smart lights in this format

Yes, and it worked OOTB with zigbee2mqtt.

Attributes are

min_color_temp_kelvin: 2000
max_color_temp_kelvin: 6666
min_mireds: 150
max_mireds: 500
effect_list: blink, breathe, okay, channel_change, finish_effect, stop_effect
supported_color_modes: color_temp, xy
color_mode: color_temp
brightness: 255
color_temp_kelvin: 2288
color_temp: 437
hs_color: 29.496, 80.799
rgb_color: 255, 150, 48
xy_color: 0.57, 0.389
color: 
h: 25
hue: 25
s: 94
saturation: 94
x: 0.4976
'y': 0.4152

color_temp_startup: 495
linkquality: 47
update: 
installed_version: -1
latest_version: -1
state: idle

update_available: false
friendly_name: Wine Table left
supported_features: 44
2 Likes

Thanks Nick, I’ll make an order then

Do you have to set them up with a cloud connection or can they work completely locally with Zigbee2MQTT for example?

I’m using the Tuya integration at this time to pull the list from the Tuya IoT Platform for them, before I set them up with HA and this integration it would take a good 5+s to activate; once I moved them to the Tuya Smart App and put them into HA its almost instant Activation.

The LocalTuya interrogation you need to add them one at a time manually so I have been a tad lazy to set it up that way myself.

Edit: forgot to mention that for the region in the IoT platform I had to select EU to get it all to work for the Australian account, others did not work when I was testing and setting it all up at the time.

Anyone have any suggestions for a WiFi or Zigbee thermostat for a gas central heating system ?

The current controller is very basic and is what was installed with the system years ago and I have recently had to do some dodgy repairs due to a leaky battery eating the terminals.

It needs to be able to function if HA is not available.

There is the Wi-Fi Thermostat | Lennox iComfort Touchscreen Thermostat from them that should still work with you AC unit as a replacement for the one you have installed and it looks like they have an open API option that may be able to be intergrated into HA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YweFHMTqfY - GitHub - PeteRager/lennoxs30: Home Assistant Lennox S40 / S30 / E30 / M30 integration

That should help guide you in your search.

We are about to renovate our bathroom and laundry. I have smart power monitoring plugs for the washing machine and clothes dryer but though this was a good opportunity to put Shelly PM units in the power outlets instead.

As with the smart plugs, I do not intend to use them for switching, their primary job is power/energy monitoring. I’ve not used Shelly before.

But which?

Shelly 1PM
or
Shelly Plus 1PM

Thoughts or experience?

I’ve had no issues with the 1PM monitoring my Hot Water heat pump energy use. As a gen1 device you need to set up CoIoT in the device for best results (it’s in the docs and not difficult).

The plus is a gen 2 device and does not require this extra set up step. It also has better overload/overtemp protection. I have not used one of these devices though.

1 Like

OK thanks. No red flags for the Gen 2. I might get a couple of those and see how it goes.

Well I’d wait a bit and see if someone who has used the gen 2 device has anything to say. You could also search the forum but beware the squeaky wheel syndrome.

Can confirm using Shelly 1PMs for a number of devices here. (Hot Water, Washing Machine/Dryer, TV/Entertainment etc. ) Yes mainly power monitoring and notification. Don’t dismiss switching. Can be very useful to (automate) block out use in peak tariff times for certain devices. While not necessary I have converted most of my devices to ESP Home, mainly to standardise my system components and code but also it is just such a powerful and flexible code environment once you get the hang of it.
I don’t have any Shelly Plus 1PMs but from my reading not a huge difference if you’re just doing power monitoring (adds Bluetooth and better processor?) I found calibration it be very easy and accurate.