Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

You’re going to need a Shelly EM for that sort of current.

Thanks for the comments. One thing I did notice in the specs is they are supposed to have a more powerful signal, and that will matter for me as WiFi needs all the help it can get.

In many cases I’d agree but I run most of the home from an off-grid battery system at night so grid imports during peak tariff periods is less of a concern. That said, we do most of our washing during daylight ours as direct consumption of solar PV is optimal.

Only household appliance I switch with automations is the pool pump.

I have a range of the Athom ESPHome plugs and I do very much like the way the ESPHome works, but their durability isn’t great, having had several failures even with plugs which are doing no switching.

In this case I do want something inside the actual GPO (space where the appliances go is at a premium) and I want something reliable.

I also have some Zigbee smart plugs, one of which is a power monitoring version.

I wish Shelly did AU smart plugs. I’d likely be willing to pay more for them.

I’ve had some Wemo WiFi plugs for probably 4-5 years now, haven’t had one fail. Unfortunately, Wemo seem to have exited Aus now and we’re stuck with the crappy quality stuff like you mentioned.

Luckily, I purchased about 30+ of the flashable WiFi plugs from Bunnings when that was a thing, so I still have a nice backup of them when they die every year :man_facepalming:

Why not place one of their switches behind the wall socket?

Don’t really want to get sparkies involved, most of my usecases are pretty “device specific”, and I like the mobility. Eyesores don’t bother me that much;)

I’ve got one of the Mercator Ikuü SPP04G zigbee 4 gang outlets. It shows up as two devices - the left pair and right pair in zigbee2mqtt. That’s normal.
Controls work etc, no problem. what is a problem is the two devices spam the absolute sh!t out of my zigbee network.
As soon as I let them join, if you look at the log file in zigbee2mqtt, each one reports its status at least twice a second.
I know its good to keep things up to date , but seriously? haha

Any idea how to fix this? I tried to play around with the reporting interval but couldn’t find anything that would make a difference.

Don’t think its a faulty device as they are basically two separate 2 gang power outlets that just happen to live next door to each other and they would both have to have the same fault which is unlikely.

Any ideas?

ps. here is a screenshot of the log…

I got a couple of these Crest SHSPM1 plugs on a recent BigW special to have a play with LibreTiny.

There are no screws, they seem to be ultrasonically welded but have managed to get one open without destroying the case.

A bit surprised to find the WiFi module is an ESP8285 based TYWE2S so is suitable for ESPHome as is.

1 Like

That’s a nice find I will have to keep those in mind when it’s time to move away from the tuya based ones I am using now… that said would be interested to see what ones are thread/matter based as well for local only control when those are not in stock.

I have the skyconnect installed without issue to my headless virtualbox install atm and its showing it has Thread support as it should and I have the Matter (beta) plugin installed to migrate off any non local devices come time from the get go as I build out my setup.

Something like this :rofl:

Found a use for dead Kogan plugs, no soldering required.

Currently it has no local switch or indicator.

7 Likes

Ha! That’s great.

That is awesome!

Wish I’d hung on to all of my dead Kogans now!

It works fine but probably not legal as all the smart plugs I have are double pole switching, while the Shelly’s with only single pole switching are approved for use here.

There is no room for a local switch with the case on it so it may work if I remove the case to free some space.

1 Like

This got me wondering if a cheap double adapter could (should;) house one? This one is slightly too small. And I just used the one Shelly I had on hand (2.5). Just an intial rough up of an idea…

3 Likes

This question doesn’t appear to relate to home assistant.

I am specifically asking about Mercator and Clipsal wifi enabled products e.g. the Wiser range and its Mercator equivalent - or am I missing the purpose of this thread?

This topic is for discussing connecting devices certified for mains use in Australia to Home Assistant.

You asked about using them with Google Home.

1 Like

Hi there, first question this forum, and a simple one. We are renovating a house and putting in Zigbee light switches and motion sensors. All to be controlled through automations, not the brand’s native app e.g. Wiser. Is there a general rank of Clipsal Iconic, Legrand, Mercator, or others and their compatibility with HA. Main concerns are reliability, safety and longevity of the brand. If there is a general review of any of this, I would be very grateful for a link. Many thanks, Dan

I don’t think you’ll get a nice consolidated/summarised view from this topic or the forum more broadly.

I’d suggest doing searches within this topic, develop your own shortlists based on that, and then ask some more specific questions if you need. The topic can be hard to extract info from but there’s lots of great info in here already.

People tend to offer more support if they can see you’ve done some research/reading legwork.

I think the post just after Dan’s was worthy of being moderated too.