Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

Are there any evap A/C knowledgeable people in here?

I have an old Celair (apparently the same as Bonaire) evap A/C with a basic wall controller (PN. 6061660SP) and I believe one of these main controllers but I’m yet to check.

I would like to make it ‘smart’ and hopefully without breaking the bank. I thought about retorfitting an ESP into the wall controller to simulate button presses and give feedback from the LED’s but if there is a main control board that can be installed in place of the old one that then gives better control (ie: temperature) then I’d certainly be tempted, as long as it isn’t too expensive. The problem with the ESP option is that there will not be a way to adjust the temperature as far as I know since the wall controller does this via the big knob (short of replacing that with another one that goes to the ESP and then replicating it to the wall controller…?). The ESP method has been done before.

Anyone have any info on evap cooler controls?

Anyone try out the Shelly Mini (https://kb.shelly.cloud/knowledge-base/Shelly-mini-devices)

Are they OK to use in Aus?

given they were only released in the last week, it’ll probably be some time before they get certified for Aus use. They really are tiny compared to the standard form factor.
https://www.shelly.com/en/products/shop/shelly-plus-1-mini

I do wonder if - given their small size - they’ll have overheat issues like the gen1 devices.

2 Likes

Yes they work without HA. They also work through the Shelly app locally and via the Shelly cloud.

I have both zigbee and wifi but am moving more toward Shelly wifi for my in wall light and power control. I have had some in for a few years without any issue. It was very helpfully that recently when my server died and needed some remote control I was able to open the Shelly app and still control them. During this time I actually set up some of the inbuilt Shelly timers etc for outside lights that I still use.
I have purchased all mine from Smarthome and the service has been good. As long as the products are genuine the price is likely to be the biggest driver for me.

As you are already looking at Shelly you could just use a normal 240v motion sensor wired to the input of a Shelly to control a light circuit . Shelly have this as one of their wiring examples in the documentation.

1 Like

I like the idea of the Shelly Plus PM Mini, no relay just power monitoring. No more issues with freezer defrosting when the smart plug fails.

It will be interesting to see if the new models get Aus certified.

2 Likes

Although this thread is pretty unruly, I thought I’d document that I was able to flash a DETA 6904HA (version 2) 4 gang switch using Tuya Cloudcutter and uploaded new firmware generated using LibreTiny ESPHome.
I used a modified version of the process in this thread and here

the GPIO Pins on the DETA 6904HA are :

• touch buttons # P10, P6, P9, P14
  • relays # P24, P7, P26, P8
  • status LED P1

Not tried but literally seen this last night, looks promising.

I had my Daikin installed only a month ago. It was more expensive than Fujitsu but I went with that brand because it worked with HA. But it the weekend, it stopped working with either the app or HA because of the pending firmware upgrade. Now I can only control it with the stupid remote control.

Ring them up and say you want a full warranty return due to functionality being removed from the device you purchased. And that you expect all wall penetrations and finishings to be repaired at their expense to the state they were in before the install.

They won’t do it and you probably don’t want them to, but it will get your point across.

1 Like

This is why I am glad I have my current fuijitsu unit, I had to load into my HA setup a custom integration for FGLair that only needs a restart of HA to get working again every so often and I don’t have to keep logging back into the phone app or use the remote.

One option you can look into is a IR blaster hub to control it that way as a backup until your firmware issue is resolved, if you have not already have you tried a power off from the circuit that its being powered from to see if that helps cycle it back to the current installed firmware from a pending state?

i.e like this:

Here is one that uses a daiken with esp:

I am reminded of the original PS3s that were sold with the ability to use different OS’s - when that feature was removed, Sony was sued and had to pay out to all the original customers (the payout was something like $30 lol). I will complain to them though - I’m so sick of companies changing the service they provide customers (and even the product as in this case) after a deal is made.

I had heard that the Daikin integration was better than the Fujitsu one - boy am I disappointed now. Good suggestion to try powering it off though and see if that resets it. As for IR blaster, I have a bunch of unused Sensibos sitting around so maybe I’ll set one of those up.

1 Like

Forgot to mention that there also should be a button to press whilst its off or such to do the reset, should be in the manual for the model of AC unit you have installed.

As for model iirc I have this one installed at the moment as its a small place and does not need a split system:

https://www.lawsonair.com.au/fujitsu-set-astg09kmcb-2.5-kw-reverse-cycle-split

1 Like

Tangentially related I see Daikin are releasing some Zigbee controllers and sensors - seem to be for their commercial units though. Daikin launches Stylish Controller with Zigbee - Climate Control News

2 Likes

Hi All, I have been looking into 12v garden lighting. I tested the Brilliant wifi/tuya smart garden light kit but was not happy with the resulting light (no white, only RBG) plus Bunnings here in NZ did not sell an RGB extension cord so cant get the lights to the place I need. I did also look at the Holman stuff and there is Philips Hue (which i have inside) but both those are super $$. Has anyone done anything DIY? Warm white lights as a minimum, but would prefer to be able RGBW with individually addressable lights with dimming capability.

Ive searched a lot for this and just cannot find anything.

PS: I would like approx 5 spot style lights for under trees and large palms etc and some wall (fence) mounted pathway lights for the driveway etc.

check out quinled

Just search Amazon for 12v garden lights, there are plenty. I have used the Sunvie warm white ones with transformer, but only smart control is on/off through smart relay switch.

1 Like

Shelly devices should do

I have done exactly that, in my case it’s the booster element for a solar HWS so rarely used. I am about to get it moved off the controlled load (and cancel the tariff) since now I can control when it’s on through HA and my off-peak tariff is usually the same price as the controlled load tariff. All the benefits of controlled load and none of the drawbacks.

2 Likes

Clyde,
Interested to know how your sparky actually wired this.

It just goes in the feed to the HWS after the breaker. What other way could it be done? I mean, it’s just a switch - no different to a manual booster switch.