Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

You can try this light via just your standard socket if its in range of your zigbee antenna or another zigbee device that acts as a mesh point in the network:

Hi, Has anyone managed to get Legrand Excel Smart switches talking directly to HA via zigbee, without going via their app? I have SkyConnect, change to channel 11, and it sees the switches, but does not configure and drops the connection. Many thanks, Dan

Just wanted to post a feel good story.

I am doing some renos and have ordered a few Shellys from SmartHome and I had also been researching how to control my two (2) remote controlled Fanaway fans and had seen the Bond Bridge Pro.

Got it today and after a moment or two with a small hiccup with the initial config I got it setup and connected to my network. Go through the process of getting it to recognise the buttons, took a few goes with some of the buttons, but got there. Added to HA and working wonderfully.

The only drawback is that there is no “feedback”, i.e. the light switch is a toggle, so you have to know the state of the light to know what it is going to do when you press the button. Otherwise very happy.

When I showed the wife the set up in HA, her first question was what about the fan in this other room? That fan is currently controlled with a wall switch, so happy to take suggestions. I know I can use a Shelly for the light switch, but not sure how to replace the fan speed dial on the wall.

Love this group, thanks everyone for your participation.

You could use something like https://www.australianlightingandfans.com.au/mercator-ikuu-smart-ac-fan-controller-wifi.html

Is your switch a momentary push button (spring loaded) or is it a normal toggle up/down?

If it’s a toggle, then you can set the Shelly to change state on each toggle (“edge switch” as I’ve set in the screen shot below), or set it to follow the state of the toggle (“Toggle switch - flip switch”).

If it’s a momentary push button, then set the shelly to toggle on each push.

In either case, the on/off state of the light will be reported to home assistant, i.e. it does have feedback.

I did look at these when I did a google search, but I am not a fan of the look. However it may come down to this being my only option.

Also looking, there is no native Integration and from what I found the Wifi one’s use Tuya, so I can get away with using LocalTuya from what I understand.

Thanks for the details info, but the “switch” for my light is on the remote, the wall switch is simply on/off for the whole unit.

I noticed they state in the description that this fan controller is also available in ZigBee. That would definitely be the better option given that the Wifi one is almost certainly Tuya based. Saves having to de-chinese-cloud it.

1 Like

Yes. I use the zigbee versions. I just suggested the wifi as the OP didn’t mention zigbee

1 Like

They make a ZigBee version also if you have to go down this path.

I ended up ordering a Wifi version and will pick it up today.

Do I need to flash it or just use LocalTuya?

If you use the Shelley power monitoring versions then you tell if it’s on by the power draw.

Hey everyone, I finally bit the bullet and got a zigbee coordinator (sky connect), which is super exciting! I want to get some door sensors at least (probably battery powered aqara ones from Ali express?) but based on what I’m reading, I think I’ll probably also need some routers?

What routers do people use and recommend? I found these Ikea ones that seem like they could be good, and are cheap enough? link 1 and link 2. Are there any other routers that’s recommended around here these days instead?

Also, now that I have access to zigbee, what are some other cool sensors other than door sensors that I should get?

Thanks in advanced!

You can use HUE lights as zigbee routers back to the skyconnect if you have locations where you want to plug the in or use the strip lights as night lights, generally you would only need router when you have lower signals for the placement of the main devices from where you have your HA install hosted in the home based on the size of the home.

I also use aeotec motion sensors atm to trigger my switch bot in the kitchen, the led strip in the bathroom and the hue lights in my bedroom, I also pull in the temperature data from all three into a medial temp entity for my AC unit.

Ah, sorry, I should have mentioned but I don’t need any bulbs or strip lights. We’re pretty good on lighting at the moment so would need a different router option

Those ikea options are a good price so should work well and if you use the smart switch option then double win. I also have zigbee temp sensors which I use to automate fans. Then there are the zigbee buttons which cover my normal switches. Flood sensor for the laundry and motion sensors to automate lights.

Zigbee temp sensors could be cool, though I don’t have a way to automate my fans yet. I like the idea of having a handy zigbee button but I can’t see why you’d have it instead of just using your phone? Would there be much that you use it for specifically instead of your phone?

My wife requires physical buttons to be retained. As a practical example, in my WIR the light automation checks for the existing light level as a condition and does not turn the light on when sensing movement if the light level is above a certain level. However, sometimes we might want a bit more light, the button provides the easy override. Having to find a phone when moving around the kitchen to turn lights on and off would also be unacceptable

2 Likes

Ah, that’s a very good point. We’ve got Shelly relays behind our walls because we want physical back up as a just in case, so I definitely get that! Also, I never thought of having an area handled by automation but having a separate button to make things brighter! It’s genius and I might have to think of how to do that with some of our stuff!

Basically how you want to set things up is have scenes control area’s that control the devices in those areas or groups of the devices in area’s then you can setup specific automation on a per device level after that if you want to do something specific with them.