Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

FYI - After much work, I have begun to finally have sucess and the ‘Nue’ / ‘3A Smarthome’ switches are beginning to be supported with the awesome Zigbee2MQTT component, via a cheap CC2531 Zigbee dongle.

I’m hoping to have the rest of the models I own supported in the coming week/s.

1 Like

These can be flashed with Tasmota or ESPhome (using this) to be integrated with HA without any need for Cloud connectivity. I’ll be getting a couple soon to try out. They don’t have power monitoring so are limited in a way, but good value for money

6 Likes

Just flashed a couple of these with esphome. works flawlessly

1 Like

What method did you use to flash them?
OTA like Tuya-convert or did you open it up?

i tried both. tuya-convert is by far the easiest, the pins on the chip a very small, just about got some wires soldered on them. but doable

Ended up picking a few of the Brilliant Smart Plugs (thanks for the heads up @sparkydave). Flashed them with esphome using tuya-convert via a Raspberry Pi 2 B+ w/ Raspberry WiFi Adaptor.

Should anyone else wish to use esphome, please find below the configuration I ended up using which still allows you to use the button on the plug.

smartplug.yaml

esphome:
  name: smartplug
  platform: ESP8266
  board: esp8285

wifi:
  ssid: SSIDNAME
  password: SSIDPASS

# Enable logging
logger:

# Enable Web Server (optional)
web_server:
  port: 80

# Enable Home Assistant API
api:

ota:

binary_sensor:
  - platform: gpio
    pin:
      number: 14
      mode: INPUT_PULLUP
      inverted: True
    name: Plug Button
    on_press:
      - switch.toggle: relay
  - platform: status
    name: Plug Status

switch:
  - platform: gpio
    name: Relay
    pin: 5
    id: relay
3 Likes

I know this is a little off topic but I just discovered that the below RPi package actually lets you select an SD card with HassIO already on it. Thats pretty cool! (I was only looking because a friend wanted a shopping list to get started with HA)

https://www.buyraspberrypi.com.au/shop/raspberry-pi-3-plus-basic-starter-kit/

Pity its only a Sandisk card though :unamused: (given that these seem to have a bad wrap for failures when running HA)

That is pretty cool.

Re: Sandisk, I’ve had a 200GB Sandisk Ultra running for a year without issue. Obviously this is anecdotal but I wonder if cheap ebay fakes are to blame.

Could be. I was originally running a genuine RPi SD card (was an old NOOBS card) that I had previously used on another project. It eventually died and I swapped to a Samsung EVO which has been great since. Good to hear someone with a positive Sandisk experience as I always thought they were supposed to be good quality cards

I had a noobs card that was a total nightmare with HA… it would crash every few days. Weird thing was when I replaced it with a Samsung EVO, the samsung was great but the noobs card actually passed a hardware test I did on it… but def no good for HA.

I’ve had no issues with Sandisk cards. Been running for over 2 years. Started with a 16GB but upgraded to a 32GB.

I just stumbled upon these. Nice cheap way to integrate a light switch with HA if you have neutral wires at the light switches. Simply mount the unit in the wall such that you press the button on the front as the light switch. A way of making it nicer looking could be to mount it behind a Clipsal 4000 series pushbutton wallplate so that the Clipsal button pushes through to the Broadlink one… :thinking: unfortunately I think they are too big to do so neatly here in WA where we have double brick walls. It would be easy with gyprock walls.

2 Likes

I have not noticed this very good discussion until just now. Would just like to add a little info which may help you decide for yourself.

If you are looking to buy electrical products they should have certification markings that are recognized within Australia.

The first to look for would be an SAA marked product see here: http://www.saaapprovals.com.au/about-saa/

Another common one to look for is the European CE mark which is explained here: https://archive.industry.gov.au/industry/IndustryInitiatives/TradePolicies/TechnicalBarrierstoTrade/Pages/EuropeanCommunity-AustraliaMutualRecognitionAgreementFAQ.aspx

Another applicable marking for Australia is RoHS which is explained here: https://www.rohsguide.com/rohs-faq.htm

The actual installation of products is another matter which is covered by AS/NZS 3000:2018 should be considered. In general anything requiring wiring inside walls etc will require a licensed electrical contractor. See here: https://www.standards.org.au/engagement-events/flagship-projects/wiring-rules

I hope that the above information is of some use to the community here.

5 Likes

What is the stance when it comes to reflashing with replacement firmware(ESPHome for example on the Bunnings switch)? Does that void all the various ticks as its then not certified as tested? Do they actually test the software component or just the hardware to ensure it wont burn your house down?

IANAL but I would assume any modification would have that effect.

Just an update for those who didn’t know I spent some time writing two detailed cookbook guides for using ESPHome with the Brilliant / Mirabella Genio Smart Plugs and Mirabella Genio Smart Bulbs.

5 Likes

I get an error trying to compile your code for the Brilliant plugs. It fails because of:

on_turn_on:

and

on_turn_off:

not being correct… how did you get this code to work???

EDIT: I noticed that esphomeyaml: has changed to just esphome: for the start of the code. Is this something that only works in a recent version of HA? I’m still on 0.87.1 (time to upgrade I think)

It shouldn’t matter, you’ll just get the following message on compile:

WARNING The esphomeyaml section has been renamed to esphome in 1.11.0. Please replace 'esphomeyaml:' in your configuration by 'esphome:'.

I ran a compile on the code before uploading and have checked again to ensure it compiles, and it does. What’s the full error you’re receiving?

It errored out on me using esphome 1.10.1 with just esphome: code. I #'d out the on_turn_on and off stuff and used esphomeyaml: and it’s currently compiling so I can’t try other options. For some reason I’m not seeing a possible update for ESPhome in the HassIO add-ons, so I’m guessing it has to do with my HA version…

I don’t use hassio but maybe since you’re still running 1.10.1 you’re not seeing any updates because the repository has been relocated to esphome/hassio since 1.11.0.