Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

I have bought a few bulbs from them in the past and they work fine with HUE-bridge.

I have as well the NUE-bridge and had problems with the setup. The tech support from 3asmarthome was very quick by mail (usually a response within hours , even on Saturday)

I currently don’t use the NUE bridge as my lights work perfectly with the HUE-bridge. I don’t have any light switches from NUE

Very true, it freaks me out as well. there is a store on Ebay, prices seem very adequate. just slighly more expensive than Broadlink and the likes but these are certified for AU

Thanks for the hint on www.3asmarthome.com - seems like they can solve all my problems if i can make them work with Home Assistant!
I have been looking for wall switches. Belkin only has 1-gang and is expensive. So far using a 2-gang broadlink but they are not certified so it is a bit dodgy.
These guys even have scene controllers which i was unable to find from anyone else!.

Just wondering if anyone tried pairing 3A zigbee devices with cc2531 universal bridge? I’m mostly using this bridge now.
I wouldn’t ming buying the Nue bridge, but if there is no integration with Hass yet it will probably make no sense. cc2531 works via mqtt so is super easy to work with.

PS. just noticed that the 3A wall switches required N wire which virtually never exists with normal light switches. it is a bit of a dealbreaker. While this certainly would improve the reliability of the switch, pulling a new wire would not always be possible and will certainly be costly. Broaadlink TC2 works without N wire, but i’d think that way is probably not quite compatible with the standards as it makes operation of the switch dependant on the load connected.

1 Like

I have some of these, they are working pretty well, but the lag between google home control and the lights is driving me nuts… and the hui home app awful, have to restart it every time to make it work.

It would be great if we could get these switches/accessories working without the hub direct into HASS but from what i have been reading it is not well supported…

Has anyone had any success? I might just have to bite the bullet and get a zigbee adaptor and start tinkering.

Hi Sonoff is now legal in Australia.
The Australian version is available now:
POW https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/173637996462
Dual https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/173639733220

imported by Oikotec www.oikotec.com.au

Are you determining legality by the inclusion of the Enersafe Certificate of Approval logo in the advertising?

1 Like

Talk about price gouging.

I can get POW R2 delivered for less than $22.

I realise that they may have to amortise certification costs (assuming that they have actually done this, it wouldn’t be the first time someone slapped a tick mark on a non tested product and sold it on ebay) but doubling the price is ridiculous.

And after a quick check a I can find no record of them in the NERS database. https://equipment.erac.gov.au/Registration/UserSearch.aspx?rr=Responsible&atn=public

Buyer beware.

Yes, the products had been certified by energy safe victoria.
Regards

You got a link to the Energy safe confirmation?

1 Like

Seems that the Dual, TH16, TH10 and POW are approved. But not the POW R2 which is what they are selling?

https://equipment.erac.gov.au/Public/Profiles.aspx?ApplicationID=183f09ca-641d-4b88-8292-2483ea159e18

Is this Aus wide, or specific to Vic?

I believe the States of Australia have mutual recognition in these matters.

1 Like

Interesting, thanks for digging this up.

I might see if I can find a sparky to install one in a wall, show them this cert and see if they will do it.

In the certification indicates POW but it is the POW R2, these models come with the c-tick mark in a grey label, traditional models are not certified and they do not comply with Australian electrical safety rules.

You do appreciate that I could stick a c-tick sticker on my finger, but it doesn’t mean I should connect it to a 240v live wire.

Also that’s not the c-tick. That’s the Australian RCM. Penalties of up to $18,000 for inappropriate use by importers.

1 Like

Well, I guess that it depends on your common sense. However, we did all the process to certify Sonoff products in Australia (almost 1 year), all the electrical safety testing was done by an Australian laboratory and then the devices were approved by ESV to be installed in Australia as you can see in the link that I provided before:
https://equipment.erac.gov.au/Public/Profiles.aspx?ApplicationID=183f09ca-641d-4b88-8292-2483ea159e18
If you want to use them you are welcome to do it, if not there are more options in the market; zwave, cbus, etc.

Hi @tom_l,
You are completely right, the A-Tick and C-Tick were replaced by the Regulatory Compliance Mark (RCM). The products comply with the Electrical Equipment Safety System (EESS), administered by the Electrical Regulatory Authorities Council (ERAC) and also with the electromagnetic compatibility ( EMC ) regulated by Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA). Therefore we are authorised to label the product with the RCM mark.

Best Regards

Wow, this is great news that some Sonoff products are certified here. Shame it’s not all of them. I like the basics, but some is better than none.

Now, my question is this, as you are an importer, and have done the certification, couldn’t we all just import those from AliExpress for cheaper? A POW R2 is AU$19.67 delivered (at time of writing this) and you want AU$36+$8.30 postage. That’s AU$44.30 from you, or 2 from AliExpress with change.

This seems to indicate some changes have been made to the standard items.